Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
ndivino
Currently Being Moderated

Please help. Performance tips and tricks on Camera RAW 6.6 needed.

Apr 23, 2012 3:18 AM

Hello I really need your help and I want to thank you in advance for your time!! I need performance tips and tricks for Camera raw 6.6 and Bridge CS5? I have Intel i7 920, with 16GB of RAM which I thought is powerful enough to make developing in Camera RAW smooth as butter but I am not getting that performance. When I slide the settings, it has a delay for the preview and it gets worse if I apply a vignette. I usually open the camera raw file to photoshop and sometimes it does take a considerable amount of time to load. Working on photoshop is great, quick as expected, but Camera RAW makes me cringe.

What tips and tricks would you suggest for performance boost? The best case scenario is to have the preview reflects the changes of the slider without delay. Is this possible?

Thank you very much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to ndivino

Set Noise Reduction (Luminance) default to zero. Only apply at the end.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to ndivino

You might find some useful tips and tricks in this article How to tune Photoshop CS5 for peak performance

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/05/how-to-tune-photoshop-cs5-fo r-peak-performance.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to ndivino

Can you try to be more specific about just how much delay you're seeing?

I have older Xeon x5460 processors in my workstation and I don't see an unacceptable delay.  I wouldn't call it "butter smooth", but it's quite interactive and I don't find myself overshooting slider adjustments.  I see no more than maybe 1/10th second delay when the image is shown completely in the preview pane.  A zoom operation itself yields more delay - on the order of maybe 1 second or a hair less, but once it's zoomed I again see maybe 1/10th second delay when moving sliders.  Quite acceptable.

In your Lens Corrections setting, do you have any Distortion Correction Amount?  Try setting your default to 0 for that setting.

Try the Photoshop CS6 beta.  I find responsiveness improved a good bit in that version.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points