Skip navigation
Krzysztof Wolowski
Currently Being Moderated

Magic Wand bug revisited

Apr 25, 2012 5:39 AM

Tags: #cs5 #cs3 #magic_wand #magic_wand_bug

Hi there,

I have a similar problem to one that was described here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2693653 on CS5/Windows 7.

Namely, the behaviour of the Magic Wand tool is different from what I expect. It always selects all pixels of the same colour in a layer even if the area is not contiguous. This happens regardless of parameter values: tolerance, anti-alias, and contiguous. The effect is like that of some kind of a "select by colour" tool.

Just to make sure:

- I am on the correct layer

- I am using the correct tool (Magic Wand, not Quick Selection Tool)

- I have tried exiting CS5 and starting it again

- I have tried resetting the Magic Wand Tool

- I am trying to make a new selection (not adding to it, subtracting from it or intersecting with it)

The conclusions from my little research are that this bug (?) goes as far as CS3. Back then there was a trick to change the Sample Size of the Eyedropper tool, which had been reported to work. Apparently it does not work in CS5 anymore.

Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Wolowski

And »Sample All Layers«?

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels and the Options Bar visible?

The conclusions from my little research are that this bug (?) goes as far as CS3.

Well, it is far from clear that this is a bug as far as I can tell.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Wolowski

Krzysztof Wolowski wrote:

Back then there was a trick to change the Sample Size of the Eyedropper tool, which had been reported to work. Apparently it does not work in CS5 anymore.

Assuming you're talking about the Magic Wand Tool selecting colors based on a sample of more than one pixel, the same thing still applies in Photoshop CS5:  The sample size you choose, for example with the Eyedropper Tool, still affects the Magic Wand's sampling to determine what pixel(s) to select.  That's not a bug, it's a feature.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Wolowski

Krzysztof Wolowski wrote:

It always selects all pixels of the same colour in a layer even if the area is not contiguous.

Did you see the [  ] Contiguous checkbox in the options area near the top of the Photoshop main window?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Krzysztof Wolowski

Is that because your current layer wasn't the layer on which the pixels actually reside?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points