Skip navigation
electronDegenerate
Currently Being Moderated

Best Field Recorder/Codec for CS6 on PC

Apr 24, 2012 12:10 PM

I'm preparing to buy a new video editing system to run CS6 (moving away from Avid). My intent is to also purchase a field recorder to record 422 HD off my XL-H1. What's going to be the best bet? I was looking at the SideKick HD since is uses SSDs, but it, like most, comes native with ProRes422. I don't want to worry about whatever I may lose by using the 32-bit bridge for Quicktime. I'm fine purchasing the Avid DNxHD upgrade, but it sounds like that still uses Quicktime and has some issues of it's own.

So, what is going to be the best field recorder to use for Premiere Pro CS6? And it would be great if it has an onboard monitor.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Is that 4:2:2 ?

Otherwise..an Atomos Samurai might suit the O.P

FWIW: http://www.atomos.com/press/articles/customer003-shooterfilm.xml  ...about me and my Samurai 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to shooternz

Yes, the Samurai is cheaper and much better. I saw it at NAB. You don't get Prores and DNXHD with the Pani.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:37 PM   in reply to electronDegenerate

You said "best," right?  Then, stay away from AVCHD, and go with a 10-bit intraframe codec (ProRes, DNxHD or AVC-Intra 100). 

AVCHD makes tiny files (it's greatest strength, perhaps), but at the cost of slowing your edit due to CPU overhead; and it's 8-bit 4:2:0, which is nasty on certain kinds of footage, difficult to make drastic corrections to color, and probably the worst choice for chroma keying.

Since you mentioned 32-bit bridge, I assume you're on Windows?  You'll need the ProRes Windows decoder (free from Apple). 

I'm on Mac, and DNxHD Quicktimes don't work as well as ProRes Quicktimes.

You're wise to do your homework before you buy something. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to rpestes

You don't get Prores and DNXHD with the Pani.

Yes, but you also don't have to deal with QuickTime, something specifically asked for.

And it does comes with the requested built-in monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to electronDegenerate

I think I read that PP (even CS6) will not handle DNxHD wrapped as MXF.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

We really could use a cross-platform 10-bit 422 and/or 444(4) intraframe open source codec.

Cineform?  Maybe some day.

NanoFlash:  XDCam HD 422 is MPEG.  If you want the best, as you wrote, you should rule out any codec out that's MPEG/Long-GOP and/or 8-bit, IMO.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Don't forget to add "free" to that descriptive list.  Both free of charge, and free of any connection to Apple (read; QuickTime).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points