Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Feb 24, 2014 3:17 PM

Latest reply: Peter Spier, Feb 24, 2014 3:32 PM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Sep 1, 2011 11:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You rock! That was the issue...it works now. I will keep the preferences in mind when other odd little issues come up! It seemed like (and is) such and easy thing to do, but I was befuddled. Thanks much.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2011 3:57 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I was hoping you could help me. I am in InDesign CS3 5.0.4 system OSX 10.4.11 and lately when I print to my Canon MP250 my color is not 100%. It seems as though it's 50% of color. All colors are correct just faded. I spoke to Canon and they told me since emails and other pdfs sent to me by friends print fine that it is something to do with Indesign. Photoshop prints fine too. This just started happening and it's driving me crazy. I called Adobe and they told me that there is no longer phone tech support for CS3. Is there any way you can figure this out? I think I looked at about everything there is to look at.

Sincerely appreciative,

Cre8tive428

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 14, 2011 4:03 PM   in reply to Cre8tive428

Cre8tive428: please start a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2011 2:21 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks for taking time to help. Much appreciated, Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 12:58 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi Peter,

I did both methods. In the manual prefs replacement, however, in my Win7, I did not see the "InDesign SavedData" file. But I did re-name the InDesign Defaults file, both under the Administrator as user, and "users" as user. I renamed both in the same way - adding an extra underscore. It did not fix the problem. Any further suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Nov 9, 2011 1:12 PM   in reply to MystiMac

MysticMac: Not to be tongue-in-cheek, but if the manual method is not

working for you, use the automatic Vulcan-nerve-pinch method -- hold

down control-alt-shift while starting InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 1:14 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I wasn't clear in my previous reply -- when I said "both methods" I meant I had done the hurry-up-and-control-alt-click as Indd is opening, and it did indeed ask me if I wanted to trash my preferences. I answered yes. Problem not fixed. Next I did the manual method, renaming the files. Alas, no fix yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have recently upgraded to CS5.5 on my work PC running Windows XP Professional.
    I have opened both a new Indesign Document and an existing Indesign file and in both cases I have absolutely no keyboard shortcuts not even the backspace button that will delete an object that I have put on the page.
    I have tried, several times, both re-naming the InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData as well as deleting the defaults by holding ctrl + Alt + shift when launching Indesign. Neither of these options have worked.

I have also accessed the keyboard shortcuts preferences from the edit menu and tried to create a new set. The new set button is active but when I click, it does nothing.  I have also tried going through the default shortcuts and setting them and although it looks like it has registered my command in the 'New shortcut:' box in the bottom left, when I click ok and try to use this command in my document still there is nothing working.

Please can you help?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

You suggested: Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

I have done this with no success.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to llamahandler

Peter forgot the /<username>/ in his description of the path

Screen shot 2012-04-24 at 4.52.16 PM.png

Also if you are doing this in 10.7.x you may have to enable hidden files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I did go to the user library to eliminate the cache.

I did us the startup combination (a couple of times) to replace preferences, re-installed the program (what a hassle). Still missing something. I appreciate all the possible leads.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Apr 25, 2012 11:58 PM   in reply to llamahandler

Still missing something. I appreciate all the possible leads.

Try removing the following:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5
    ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
    ~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.InDesign
    ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist.lockfile
    ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to monosierra

I'm having the same issue. Indesign has been working fine until this morning, when I tried opening it and nothing happens. I get the hourglass for two seconds and then it returns to an arrow, no error messages. In task manager it does not show up by applications, but it does show indesign is running by processes. I uninstalled and reinstalled indesign, I spoke to adobe and we removed the preference folders, nothing seems to help. I was able to open indesign in my hidden administrator account, but I can't open it in my regular account. Adobe says its a permissions problem - I need to speak to Microsoft - but how do I get throught to them? How do I change the permissions? Also, it worked fine till now in my regular user account, what happened now??

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks for replying, in the meantime I ran all the updates from the administrator account, rebooted my computer, and now lo and behold it does open in my regular user account! But there seems to be another issue, and that is, I can't open any documents from their folder, I need to go through indesign to open them...

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes, they do show the correct icon in the folder, and they open fine when I go through indesign, they just won't open when I double click on the file that I want in my documents.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

windows 7

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It says adobe indesign cs5

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

OK will try that tonight when I'm finished with my computer, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

read first post but don't get it. I found the places and files (InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData)

you say

BOTH of these files should be replaced at the same time.

1: replaced ... by what ? you say renaming but which renaming ? anything ?
    2: how can you replace two files at the same time ?

PS: the CRTL+ALT+SHIFT never worked

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

cool.

i can export again, thanx !
    the ionly weird thing is that now my swf (like in http://tv.adobe.com/watch/csinsider-design/indesign-creating-interacti ve-pdfs-with-page-turn-and-flash-animations/) are just .. swf icons .... but this may be for another thread ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Seb Adore

believe it or not, ont the next document, the issue came back again !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

>>> the issue is:

when i try to export my files in interractive pdfs it does not work anymore, it says (translated from french) "impossible to visualize because Acrobat can't be found. Verify your Acrobat installation".
    >>> Actually ACrobat IS installed (I even completeley resintalled it yesterday to be sure)

>>> I'm on CS5.5
    >>> Dunno what "patch level of ID" is (?)
    >>> I'm on WIndows 7

>>> AFter having done an iPad app (folios with indd/DPS) I want to make a "rich pdf version" of my folio

>>> I already done some before and never had this issue

thanx

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

In Windows Vista/7/8 you can use one of the built in environment variables to speed yourself along finding your preferences files (works best when creating docs for multiple users!):

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 3:14 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I've tried all of the above solutions and none of them make the slightest bit of difference.  Not ony can I not open any other inDesign document I can't even open the flipping application. Serious error messages sut it down automatically, and by deleting every preference I get as far as the welcome screen before beach-balling. CS6, Mac 10.8. It worked last week. No so anymore. Frustrating and for something that cost so much money it's very poor show. I've spent the better part of 2 hours trying to finish an annual report and can't even opened the damn thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 3:29 AM   in reply to Smoothfluid

Is the file crashing or the application? You say you're trying to update an annual report. If you go to the folder where that file and show hidden files (http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/04/show-hidden-files.html) is there a file in the folder with the extension "IDLK".

If there is copy this file to a different location (don't delete it).

Try restarting InDesign.

If that's not the solution - I highly recommend creating a new User Login on the Mac and try running the application from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 3:41 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

There is no file to crash the application. There are no temporary files. I can't open the annual report to know if it is crashing the app. I can't open the application at all. I can't open a the app, let alone a previously created file. I've deleted every preference there is using all of the sugested methods. I've just reinstalled the damn thing and still it is crashes. A brand new install of inDesign from the original paid-for-with-hard-earned-money installer and still I can't get the app to open. it just bounces into Apple crash report into Adobe crash report.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to Smoothfluid

Update: 3 hrs later. Deleted preferences 5+ times incucing with the hidden files. Not that there were any other files hidden that were in any offending preference folders. Restarted as guest user. Lauched inDesign. Quit inDesign. Logged in as me. Deleted all preferences again for the hell of it. Restarted. And now I am 'in'. it's after 11pm. And there was no logic to the procedure. Frustrated doesn't even start describing it. Does Adobe look at the crash logs I kept sending? Does it make their product any more stable? Why today? Was it the preference deleting x 20 that fixed it? Probably not in my opinion. So what the heck is going on. Thanks Eugine for offering your advice anyway. Nice to know I wasn't shouting into the wilderness. Sorry for being a grumpy bugger

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (10)