Skip navigation
Lisa Finnegan
Currently Being Moderated

Site Updates and FTP

Apr 25, 2012 5:44 AM

Tags: #ftp #adobe_muse #publishing_error

Hi,

Just a general question about updating my published site and what files should be uploaded via FTP. I have made changes to various pages on the website.

As an example, I changed the order of my thumbnails on the home page. When I preview the site prior to publishing I don't see an issue. However, when I go out to my browser it doesn't look like what I am expecting. I have cleared the cache prior to viewing.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Lisa Finnegan

As a failsafe, I have found that when making any change to the site, I re-upload EVERYTHING - but then again, my sites are not very large. I just hit upload and overwrite and go get a coffee.

However, if your site it too big to re-load every time, I would re-load: thepageinquestion.html, thepageinquestion.css and any and all of the image files associated with the page again as well as the index.html and muse_manifest.xml for good measure. I believe that should do it.

Really though, if you're changing multiple pages, it's more time consuming but idiot-proof just to re-load everything. There are been many questions on the forums about sites not displaying and behaving correctly, only for the poster to discover that they failed to re-load some element of the exported Muse data/ documents.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to Lisa Finnegan

Choose "Overwrite if Source is Newer" - that was you're guaranteed to get the latest version on your FTP. Sometimes choosing "Different Size" won't result in a newer file if it's exactly the same in terms of file size.

I hope this helps, let me know if it's been successful or not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points