Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I find photos without a keyword tag?

Apr 25, 2012 7:49 AM

Tags: #lightroom4

How do I find photos without a keyword tag?

And by the way a further question regarding keyword tags remains unanswered...Why is there a difference between the number next to the keyword and the actual index number in the keyword folder?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

While in Library check the Smart-Collections in the left panel. There is an entry that automagically shows you all untagged photos.

What do you mean with "... actual index number.. "

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

If you are referring to the number behind the keyword in the right panel, that simply the count of images that carry that keyword.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

Are your keywords arranged in a hierarchy? For this particular keyword, can you click on the little disclosure triangle to see any "sub-keywords"?

The grid view display (with its index numbers) shows all of the photos containing the selected keyword OR any of its "child" sub-keywords. But the keyword count (next to the keyword name on the right panel Keyword List) only reflects the number of photos *DIRECTLY* tagged with that keyword. The count does not reflect any photos tagged with 'children" of that keyword (which "inherit" the parent keyword).

In most cases, if you add up the keyword counts for a keyword and each of its children - the total should be the number of photos being displayed in Grid View (eg, the highest index number).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

When you say, "when I open the folder in question", I think you are clicking on the arrow to the right of keyword in the Keyword List pane?  This shows all the photos that are assigned the keyword or keywords contained by that keyword (it doesn't show a "folder"). The number shown to the right of a keyword in the Keyword List is the number of photos assigned the keyword (not counting photos to which contained keywords are assigned).

So if the number to the right of the keyword doesn't match the number of photos shown in grid view, make sure that you've selected the source Catalog > All Photographs in the left-hand pane.  If you've selected another source, such as a true folder, you'll only see the subset of photos in that source assigned the keyword, which could be less than the total number of photos in the catalog assigned the keyword.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

The examples you show have one number double the other.

Maybe you have got raw & jpgs so it is counting these but the previews are only showing the raw version from each shot hence half the number?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to Jeremy 2

In my LR 4.1RC1, a raw+JPEG pair shows up as one image in the Library grid view.  And it counts as 1 image in the total count shown to the right of the keyword in the Keyword List pane.   So at least in my config, Jeremy 2's hypothesis doesn't seem to apply.

Posting a screen shot of the entire LR screen illustrating the bad behavior might give a lot more clues.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:29 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

Your screen shot indicates you have a Custom Filter set. Your catalog contains 46 photos tagged with "Spain" - but only 23 of them are being displayed, probably because of the filter you have set. Clear the filter (lower right) and see what happens.

EDIT: of course you have a custom filter set for keyword = "spain" but my point is perhaps you have some additional filter criteria set that is limiting the number of photos visible.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

To clear all filters, you can click "None" in the filter bar:

Capture.PNG

So if you click None and then click on the arrow to the right of the keyword Spanje in the Keyword List, you're still seeing 46 shown next to the keyword and 23 photos in the grid?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

I noticed in the screenshot that this catalog was converted from PSE 9.  Where the Spanje photos in the PSE 9 catalog?  If so, if you open up the PSE 9 catalog, how many photos are shown there with that keyword?  (There have been other reports of occasional inconsistencies with LR 4's conversion of PSE catalogs, so I wonder if that's what's going on here.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

So it sounds like the problem was in the catalog conversion from PSE to LR -- either there's an inconsistency in the PSE catalog tripping up LR conversion, or LR conversion has a bug.

My only suggestion at this point is to try the conversion again with LR 4.1 RC2 (just released) and see if the problem occurs again, and if so, file a bug report with Adobe at:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_lightroom

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 1:08 AM   in reply to LR4 Convert

I have a related question. The index number for the photos, ie: 1-45 is in the Left upper corner. My problem is that it is so translucent that I can't read it. Can anyone tell me how I can increase the opacity so I can read it?

thank you very much, stephen

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to Stephen Weiss

Use Expanded Cells rather than Compact Cells.....the Index Number, although smaller, is not translucent.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Stephen Weiss

They are subtle, but quite easy to read on a calibrated monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Thanks. I calibrate weekly and do ambient hourly.

Stephen

Stephen Weiss

Petaluma, California

707-776-6113

stephenaweiss@gmail.com

www.stephenweissphotography.com

Blog: stephenaweiss.wordpress.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)