Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) Stops Responding

Apr 25, 2012 3:17 AM

Tags: #cs5 #raw #camera #6 #stops #acr #responding

I am currently using Photoshop CS5 with Camera Raw 6, installed on a Window 7 x64 machine with 8 GB of RAM.

I have no problem opening my raw files, but ACR repeatedly stops responding after a few minutes as I am selecting and making adjustments to raw images. Sometimes this will happen very quickly, but is usually after ten minutes or more of editing. Selecting an image whilst the yellow warning triangle is still showing in the main image seems to be a major factor, but I don't want to spend all day waiting!

Once ACR has stopped responding, the only option is to close Photoshop via Task Manager, but I then loose everything (including deletions) that I have been working on for the past x minutes. It doesn't seem to matter whether the raw files are located on a local or network drive, but the problem seems to be more frequent across the network.

The only solution seems to be to click 'Done' every five minutes, and to re-load the images, but this is a chore when I have 100 or more images to sort through. I have created a 10 GB scratch file for Photoshop, so it should have plenty of space.

Is this a known issue, and has it been resolved in CS5.5? I did not have this problem in CS, CS2, CS3, or CS4.

I have tried to download the CS5.5 update, but Photoshop reports that everything is up to date.

Any advice on this problem would be very welcome.

NN

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

Make sure your ACR is updated to at least ACR 6.6.   Better yet, install the ACR 6.7 RC (Release Candidate, or beta).

10 GB for Photoshop's scratch disk is not much disk space.  My primary Photoshop scratch disk is a dedicated, physically separate 200 GB internal hard drive.  Others have more.  Figure on at least 50 to 70 times the size of your largest file—or more—multiplied by however many files you have open.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

Camera Raw 6.7 is now available as a Release Candidate on Adobe Labs.  Read more:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/adobe-camera-raw-6-7-a nd-dng-converter-6-7-available-on-adobe-labs.html

You can install it manually and easily revert to ACR 6.6 if needed, also manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

One important CAVEAT:

The ease of reverting to an earlier version of ACR I mention is based on my Mac experience.  Please find out about reverting in Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

Glad it's working for you.

Yes, ACR 6.7 will be released in its final, non-beta form—presumably next week, when all support for CS5 ends as CS6 begins shipping, with a new version of ACR 7 that will only work in CS6.

Some users found issue with ACR 6.6, but ACR 6.7 was being developed anyway to add support for new camera models.  All orderly updates of ACR (three or four per year) have unannounced bug fixes and improvements, beside support for new cameras.

ACR 6.7 will be the last Camera Raw update for CS5.  Be sure to update when the final version is released in the very near future.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

Does CS 5.5 do anything that CS 5.0 doesn't do

Nothing, apart from supporting some enhanced functionality added to other CS products that allows developers to make better use of touch interfaces and so on (or something along those lines). I checked this with Adobe when it came out, and they informed me that I would gain zero from moving from CS5 to CS5.5: they are essentially exactly the same thing, just a bit of re-branding to keep up with the other Suite products. I think Adobe confused a lot of users with this move.

I see there is a promotion running at the moment whereby CS 5.5 purchasers can upgrade to CS 6.0 free of charge when it becomes available.

That promotion's for new users who might drop some cash on PS during the grace period where we're 'inbetween' versions (e.g. you'd be annoyed if you spent £650 on Photoshop CS5.5 and then two weeks later they released CS6 and you had to spend a further £190 to upgrade).

If you want to upgrade from CS5 to CS6, then you get no benefit from upgrading to CS5.5. first: it would cost you exactly the same, and would simply add an extra uncessary step to the process. Nor would it help you overcome the issue you've reported with ACR.

Hope this helps, and if I'm wrong on any points then I'm sure someone will correct me!

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

Naughty Nigel wrote:

Thanks Molly. That all makes sense.

My ACR 6.7 is working well now, so I will stay with CS 5.0 until CS 6.0 comes out. I have read good things about it in a couple of reviews so i am looking forward to trying it.

My son mentioned that there is a Beta out for it, so I might try it on another machine.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Best regards,

Nigel.

Glad 6.7's working out for you. CS6 will be out in less than a month as I understand it: you can pre-order right now.

M

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 4:50 AM   in reply to Naughty Nigel

Naughty Nigel wrote:

My ACR 6.7 is working well now, so I will stay with CS 5.0 until CS 6.0 comes out. I have read good things about it in a couple of reviews so i am looking forward to trying it.

My son mentioned that there is a Beta out for it, so I might try it on another machine.

One thing to keep in mind with Camera Raw 7 in Photoshop CS6:  They've introduced a new process model, PV2012, and it works well.  Specifically, it's capable of rescuing marginal exposures or exposures made in very difficult lighting FAR better than its predecessor.  "How did I ever live without this" better.

A key thing is that all the controls on the main panel have changed, so it takes a little getting used to.  I find good results easier to achieve myself, though some have reported that "unlearning" the older setup is a bit jarring.  It is actually still capable of presenting the older PV2010 controls, so if you really, really want to keep working the way you did before, you can.  It's a very nice upgrade.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points