• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I re-open files after fatal error/crash? and how to prevent the crashes from happening?

Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four times this morning Captivate 5.5 has crashed on me when I was trying to copy and paste in a text box. I get a fatal error message and then I cannot open the file.

First of all, how can I re-open the file? I tried deleting the locks.

Second, what the heck is causing it to crash and how do I prevent it? I cannot work this way...

Thanks for your help.

Stella

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stella

Where is your project file while you are making edits? Is it on your local C drive or is it on the network on a drive with a letter beginning with E or F or G or other? If it's on the network, that could explain the crashing. Try moving it to your C drive and see if things improve. They should. But if it's already on the C drive, more detective work is needed to determine why it's crashing.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick, thanks for writing back!

Unfortunately it’s on my C drive.

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

v.E.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance trying to paste formatted text instead of plain text into this text box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think I was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try pasting in plain text and check that it does NOT crash under that circumstance first?

If pasting plain text is not an issue, but pasting formatted text IS causing a crash, then that would be the issue.  Something about the formatting is breaking Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the file crashed, I lost the ability to open it. When I try to open it, it gives me a message about a fatal error, tells me to try the backup file and to restart Captivate.

…Sholom

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

v.E.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So did you have backups turned on?  Did Captivate create a backup file for you to open?

If you don't have a backup file, can you use the Cached folder for this project to regenerate the module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize – I have been traveling. Yes, it did create backups and I have not been able to open them (ever). What’s more the original file that crashed is unopenable. I see a lock file; some people recommended deleting the lock but doing so did not allow the file to open either.

Thank you for keeping this thread open.

v.E.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then your only other option to recover the project is probably going to be trying to resurrect it from your cache:

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2010/09/recovering-the-project.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this link isnt working, is there a new link that you could provide.

trying to recover lost files after a fatal error occured in captivate 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the backup file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i have a a file in my cached projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the backup file, but you can try to zip the folder in the cache an rename its extension to cptx.

In more recent versions the Backup creation is activated automatically under Preferences, General settings. That backup file is created in the same folder as the project file. Please activate that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a pretty old post but it may help you with recovering the project from cache:

https://www.infosemantics.com.au/how-to-recover-corrupted-adobe-captivate-projects/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unchecking the "High Fidelity" option. Let us know if that does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources