Skip navigation
mrfearn
Currently Being Moderated

Circle of dotted circles help.

Apr 26, 2012 5:29 AM

I want to create a circle of circles like this , it's the first image, black and whie circles with numbers inside. - I don't want the numbers, just the dots.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=safari&gl=uk&biw=320&bih=3 56&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=circle+of+dots+illustrator&oq=circle+of+dots%2C+ill u&aq=0S&aqi=g-S1g-mS1&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i24j0i5i2 4.7760.10169.0.11599.6.5.0.0.0.0.718.1578.3-1j0j1j1.3.0.&mvs=0#i=0

Starting at 1 dot increasing by 6 every time and evenly spaced.  So would start at 1, then 6,12,18,24,30 etc to create a dotted circle if circles.  I'm new to illustrator and can't find any info how to do it, here is a link to an example - its the first image, black and white dots with numbers in, I don't want the numbers, just the dots.  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to mrfearn

Your image link doesn't work - just goes to google-uk.  Is this what you are looking for?

Picture 2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to mrfearn

I was able to make something similar using blends and a bit of trial and error.

Picture 3.png

For the innermost circle, I made a blend between two identical dots, with 5 steps, then replaced the spine with a circle that had one cut. (the cut makes the two end dots land on top of each other).

Copy this, and paste it in front. Then select just the spine and enlarge it from the center, playing with the size until it looks right. (select the spine, and not the whole blend, or the dots will enlarge also).

Then select this blend and change the steps to 11. Continue in this manner until you have the pattern the size you want it.

There may be a way to script this, or a shortcut to do it faster, but maybe this will get you started.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to mrfearn

Here's another way.

1. Make the cirlce in the center. With the Ellipse tool (L) create a perfect circle by holding Shift while dragging.
    2. Make copies of it on a straight horizontal line spaced with the desired distance between each circle of circles. Use the Selection tool (V) to drag the circle horizontally while holding Shift to constrain and Alt to copy. Press Ctrl + D to make additional copies as many times as the number of circles you want.
    3. Select all circles and in the transform panel enter 30° for Rotation. If you want the first circle to stay in place before rotation select the bottom left corner of the reference symbol in the Transform panel
    4. Select only the second circle from the center, pick the Rotate tool (R), enable the Smart Guides (Ctrl/Cmd + U), find the center of the center circle and click it while holding Alt. This will show the Rotate dialog. For angle type 360/6 and press the Copy button. Press Ctrl + D four more times to complete the first circle of circles.

Repeat the same for each of the following circles by dividing in the Rotate dialog 360° by 6 times more for each circle of circles, for example 360/12, 360/18, 360/24, and etc.

when repeating the last transformation Ctrl + D to create additional copies, you you can just hold the Ctrl + D buttons down (as a oppose to pressing it many times) until the copies appear to be approaching the desired number and then press Ctr + D or undo a few more times to get the desired number of copies.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to mrfearn

mrfearn,

When you have decided the size W (= H) of the innermost circle (presuming 6 dots on it), another way is to:

1) Create the central dot with the size w,

2) With it selected, in the Brushes palette flyout tick New Brush, then tick New Scatter Brush, and set the Spacing to 52.36 * W/w,

3) Create the innermost circle (with the size W), cut it at the top, and apply the Scatter Brush,

4) Create copies of the innermost circle with increasing sizes (2*W, 3*W, 4*W, etc) until you have them all..

You may also create all the circles first, select them all, and apply the brush.

For the innermost circle shown in the link, W is about 4*w (four times the size of the dot).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to mrfearn

I use the Polar Grid to make my coincentric circles evenly spaced

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.32.25 AM.png

I stroked the ircle paths do it all with one click

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.32.40 AM.png

I then gave it a dash line Round Caps a dash of and a gap 11.5 in this case with a stroke of 7

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.39.52 AM.png

The center dot has to be put in you can make a straight path stroked and dashedas wihthe circles and flatten the trannsparency to get your center dot and easily align it to the center.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

You do have to fool witht he gap dimension till it all works.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

With it out selected and aligning you eed smart guides for some reason I haven figured out.

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.54.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 11.56.43 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to mrfearn

mrfearn,

With the dash solution suggested by Wade (where the dash is set to 0), the gap should be set to 0.5236 * W, where W is the width of the innermost circle.

As it appears, it is closely related to the Scatter Brush Spacing value in post #5.

Edit: Edited.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to mrfearn

mrfearn,

With the dash way, the gaps are completely independent of the dot size (because the dash size is zero).

To get 6 dots in the innermost circle, the gap should be set to 0.5236 * W, where W is the width of the innermost circle, as mentioned in (the edited) post #9, no need to adjust or try and fail.

The 0.5236 (or more accurately 0.523598776) is simply PI/6.

To get the right gap for another number of dots in the first circle, just divide PI by that number.

PI = 3.14159 265 etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to mrfearn

Remeber the dot in the center is creaated manuall and posuition manully as well.

I'll post a video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Thge problem that jacob refers to is no longer an issue with CS 5 and later as there is an option to space the dashes to a even out along the path.

here is a video:

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/DotCircles.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to mrfearn

mrfearn,

All i need to do now is convert this to a Vector

It is vector artwork.

I also need to colour in some of the dots,

You may try to select the path(s) in question and Object>Expand. Depending on version, you may get what you need.

If you go the Scatter Brush way, or one of the other ways suggested, it is pretty straightforward. With the Scatter Brush, you may select the path(s) in question and Object>Expand Appearance and get independent paths, one for each dot.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to mrfearn

What you want to do is expand the art and turn it into a live paintt group the you can jus use the live paint bucket to pour the color over as many dots as you wish. then change the color and pour the next color over as many that have to be that color.

The live Paint group way is probably better than the scatter brush approach.

Here is another video

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/LivePaintDots.mov

also if you do not wish to live paint then simply take the lasso tool select a group of dots and the select a color and they will fill in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to mrfearn

here's a script by James to recolor the dots

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450301

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status