Skip navigation
judy knesel
Currently Being Moderated

Exported  JPG and Blurb darker than in Develop

Apr 25, 2012 4:41 AM

Tags: #export #jpg #darker

Hi folks,

I'm new here as well as to Lightroom and I'm wondering if this problem is something I'm doing wrong.

I calibrate my monitor with ColorMunki so this should not be a problem. However, I've adjusted the exposure on my images yet when I export them to JPG, they're darker. When I pull them into Photoshop (on the same monitor) they are darker. When I sent them to Blurb, they came out darker. If this is normal, I'll have to ditch LR and go back to PS. I like having total control of my images and this is a problem. I hope someone can let me know if there is a reason for this. Also, they came out a little crispier in print. As though I'd oversharpened them. That wasn't done.

Thanks,

Judy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to judy knesel

You're leaving a few gaps in your explanation, so a few quick pointers. Versions of LR and PS? Not using LR4's Book? Review your PS colour settings - ProPhotoRGB? How is it handling mismatches? Color space of the JPEG in LR's export? "They came out darker." Where? BookSmart, Blurb's online preview?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to judy knesel

Not sure if this will help, but Bluurb has an ICC profile that you can use to soft proof your images. I have only tried this in CS5 but it works. With Booksmart and similar it it best to maintain the sRGB color space.

The Bluurb profile will probably worl with LR4's softproofing but have not used the Book Module yet, still using Booksmart

Hope this helps

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to judy knesel

LR does not support CMYK color, which is the colorspace for Blurb's ICC profile. It can only be used in applications like PS that support CMYK processing.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/using-blurb-profiles-lightroom-4.h tml

This doesn't explain the darker imaging you are seeing in all of your LR exported sRGB JPEGs. When you view the JPEG exported sRGB profile images in LR do they look dark the same as in PS? If not I suspect you have a monitor profile issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to judy knesel

In a way, these JPEGs are a bit of a distraction. So the heart of this that in LR4 you generated a book and uploaded it to Blurb, but the book's pictures are too dark? What paper did you select? And do you know where the printers were - Europe / US ? It does sound ike the monitor profile, but I wonder if different papers/locations may be a factor.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to judy knesel

judy knesel wrote:

trshaner: I'm not trying to use Blurb's icc profile. Someone earlier recommended it and I explained that it cannot be used in LR. Or maybe you were just trying to explain that to Mike?

Judy, I was trying to explain why you can't use Blurb's CMYK profile with LR4's new soft proof capability. It's clear you have an issue with exported JPEG imaging AND Blurb book exports, which also use sRGB profile. John also pointed out there may be some issues at Blurb's end concerning matching your input to the right printer profile for the target paper. These are two separate issues.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,388 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to judy knesel

Couple points about the Blurb profile. Since you can’t use it to convert your data, and we have no idea if this profile defines the actual print process (how can it considering all the differing papers?), using to soft proof, even IF possible in LR would be questionable. This is no different from labs that demand sRGB and supply a profile for their contone devices. You can’t select a rendering intent. You have no idea of Black Point Compensation is being used or not at conversion. You have no idea if said profile is actually being used to convert the data. So using this half baked color management ‘workflow’ for just soft proofing makes little sense.

In terms of the JPEG issue, the question I’d ask is, does the image appear dark in Photoshop or a similar ICC aware application compared to LR.'s develop module? That the data prints dark is not something worth going into right now, based on the lack of color management in the workflow (at least to Blurb). And just because you’ve calibrated a display, that doesn’t mean it will match a print (depends on HOW you calibrate that display, a process that should be done for a visual match**). Right now, the issue is a JPEG from LR appears darker than in LR, why? Once that if sorted out, we can maybe go into the print process, assuming the display calibration is correct and an actual output profile is being used and also soft proofed.

**see: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark .shtml

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to judy knesel

judy knesel wrote:

You have any thoughts on exporting those jpgs so they're not darker?

The most likely cause is a monitor profile that is not compatible with LR. Check your Colormunki Display software preferences settings and make sure it is set to create ICC 2 profiles and NOT ICC 4 version. If not, reset it to 'ICC 2' and recalibrate your monitor.

To help us identify the cause please post a screen shot using LR's Compare tool with 1) Original raw file image, and 2) Exported sRGB JPEG image (Full-size, sRGB profile, 100 Quality, No Output Sharpening). Similar to this one created using LR4.1 RC:

LR4 JPEG Export Compare.jpg

Keep in mind that an sRGB profile image has a smaller colorspace than LR's and slight differences in hue, saturation, and contrast are normal. You should expect to see even more difference between the sRGB JPEG export image and Blurbs CMYK printed hard-copy book.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to judy knesel

Good to hear Blurb is helping you to resolve the printing issues. Please keep us posted with their feedback.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points