Skip navigation
Branislav Milic 177 posts
Jan 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe, what do you think about that ?

Apr 25, 2012 3:11 PM

- one day I was demoing DPS to 35 people in Paris. The whole day the servers were barely accessible. For the reputation and reliability of DPS that was wonderful.

- another day I was doing a little DPS demo for Adobe. Again the same problem.

- another day, the demo was ruined because the servers were so slow.

- this Monday morning, I open my iPad and I can see my latest Folio in ACV.

In the afternoon I join Adobe reps and partners and other VIPs in London for the launch of CS6. There I go with my iPad and what a surprise when I want to show the Folio to an Adobe representative ?

Despite being signed in, all my folios where archived and all in Download state. I could not access a WiFi and even if I could I think that downloading 500 Mb would be impossible.

Many people where asking me :

—"And are you teaching DPS ?"

– I said "Yes, I'm even working on it for real projects."

— "Do you have one to show us ?"

– "No, because Adobe's software, for a reason that I don't understand, deleted all my folios a few moments ago and I would have to redownload them again. ACV sucks".

People to who I have talked to where Adobe people, chiefs of graphic studios (newspaper, agency,...), potential clients for DPS,...

There was even of Adobe person that told me : "We are receiving a lot of complaints about the technical model of DPS, and you're right, it's terrible".

There are so many problems with this app and with the servers.

DPS's reputation will may be better when one day we just play offline with the folios like a PDF in GoodReader for instance.

DPS is exploding my bandwidth.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 6:57 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Are you using auto archive when you build the app? I think you can turn it off so it wont automatically delete your downloaded folios.

Anyway, I agree DPS is not reliable all the time, and when its up its pretty slow. I hope it gets better too.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Let's make it worse: I had some issues of a magazin on my former iPad. Then I switched to my iPad "3" and restored my iTunes-backup onto it, so all my apps and data reappeared on my new iPad. However, since the backup doesn't include Folio files, I also needed to download all my beloved issues again, just like you. A time-consuming nuisance one has to go through, whenever you update to a new viewer or a new iPad.

But I promised it would get worse. Here we go: since some publishers seem not interested anymore to host certain back issues, I can't see or download my older issues ! They simply don't appear in the Library ! What do you think about that ??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Peter, that is sad. If a publisher decides to pull the issue from the

server, that's like burning down their own library of things.

Apple wanted adobe to stop downloading such large data into the storage

that will be backed up. So issues now go into the cache, that will not be

uploaded to the Icloud storage.

Because you buy a 64gb iPad, but get only 2Gb of online storage.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

Am 26.04.2012 18:35 schrieb "Peter Villevoye" <forums@adobe.com>:

Re: Adobe, what do you think about that ?  created by Peter Villevoye<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Villevoye>in

Digital Publishing Suite - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4363125#4363125

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points