Skip navigation
EMSTechPubs
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make Review Tracker open in PRO rather than simply Reader, so I have full control?

Apr 13, 2012 7:59 AM

Tags: #acrobat_x_pro #tracker #shared_review

I have Acrobat Pro installed, and am using Shared Review features.  When I use Track Reviews from within Pro I get all the expected features.

However, the Review Tracker in the system tray is pretty much useless to me - it always opens in Adobe Reader mode and doesn't recognise me as the Initiator -many features of the Shared Review are thus inaccessible.

How can this be corrected?  Or is the tracker in the system tray basically useless?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to EMSTechPubs

A coworker just had the same problem where I work. Opening tracker from the system tray would open in Reader so his current reviews wouldn't show in Tracker. Here is how we found a solution:

Conditions: OS = Microsoft XP, Acrobat X Pro, Adobe Reader 9.5 installed.

Our  Path to a Solution:

1. First we made sure that in Preferences (Edit | Preferences | Tracker) the "Show notification icon in system tray" option was checked in Acrobat and unchecked in Reader. This did not make a difference, even with a reboot.
    2. Second thing we did was uninstall Reader (we did this since the user now has Acrobat X and does initiating and joining shared reviews through this program). He didn't see a need for Reader any more. This didn't seem to make a difference in the problem, even with a reboot. All it did was leave the icon in the tray which was now rendered inoperable, even if he launched Acrobat and opened the Tracker from there. The tray icon still would not respond.
    3. We went to the Windows Add/Remove Programs via the Windows Control Panel.
    4. We found and selected Acrobat X Pro, then clicked on the Change button (avoiding the Uninstall button). This opened a dialog to attempt a "Repair" of the program. We followed the instructions, the program did its thing (which took about 5 minutes), then we clicked finish when prompted.
    5. We tried opening Tracker from the system tray and voila! It opened the Acrobat tracker with all the reviews he initiated or joined listed.

NOTE: With the path we took to solve this, we are not sure if it was necessary to remove Reader, so you might try the repair before removing Reader if you wish to keep that program too.

Please reply to this so we know how it went for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Zinusmero
    29 posts
    Apr 3, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to EMSTechPubs

I uninstalled reader to force it into pro. Also you can change the file associations to open PDF documents in Acrobat Pro, thats what I did.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points