Skip navigation
douglas.swehla
Currently Being Moderated

Possible to insert secured PDF into another PDF?

Apr 26, 2012 1:20 PM

We are creating PDFs from Word documents using Acrobat for a client. The client wants to distribute the files in such a way that the text and images cannot be copied, but the file as a whole can be inserted into other PDFs. They would also like to keep the file size manageable.

The current approach is to secure the PDF using Acrobat's password encryption (File > Properties > Security, or Tools > Protection > Encrypt), but as far as I can tell, once you restrict any permissions on a file, extracting pages or inserting it into other files is no longer an option. The client's clients get around this by printing and scanning the secured PDF, which they should not have to do.

Please note that we are NOT trying to insert pages into a secured PDF. I know how to do that, but that is not the problem. We want to insert one or more secured PDFs into another file.

I have tried saving the Word document or first-pass PDF to an image format and then back into PDF, but this results in files ranging from 3 to 10 times the original size.

Can our problem be solved using Acrobat &/or PDF format? Can anyone authoritatively tell me that it cannot be done? We are open to other software and file type combinations.

[I am using Word 2010 and Acrobat X on Windows 7 64-bit, but setups vary within our company, at the client company, and out in the wild. ]

Replies
  • DimitriM
    172 posts
    Dec 11, 2007
    Apr 26, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to douglas.swehla

Hi Douglas,

Not sure if this will help but have you looked at Attaching the secured file into the main PDF?  You cannot Attach a PDF to a secured PDF but you can attach a secured PDF to a non-secured PDF.  Attach a File is in the Tools Panel under the Content pane.  You can add a link in the source PDF to open the attached document to make it more obvious it's there to end users.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

WindJack Solutions

www.pdfscripting.com

www.windjack.com

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,673 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 26, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to douglas.swehla

It can't be done with Acrobat. That is, you can't have some pages that have security restrictions and others that do not. Any security applies to all of the pages in a document.

In any case, standard password security can easily be removed if there is no open password or if there is and the open password is known. So it won't prevent someone who is determined to copy the content.

|
    Mark as:
  • DimitriM
    172 posts
    Dec 11, 2007
    Apr 30, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to douglas.swehla

Hi Douglas,

Just another thought- have you considered Portfolios?  There is sometimes a file size issue, bit it all depends on what is packaged into it.  May be worth a look for you anyway.  In a Portfolio you can have both secured and unsecured files.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

WindJack Solutions

www.pdfscripting.com

www.windjack.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers