Skip navigation

New PC build :), not reliable :(...

Apr 7, 2012 12:53 AM

Latest reply: ECBowen, Apr 26, 2012 3:28 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to RByds4te

I built a system using an ASUS P9X79 PRO last December 2011.  I am using two RAID 0 drives. 

Here's the info I recieved from Raja at ASUS last December:

Hi Greg,
    Sorry to hear about the problems. A few things that spring to mind:
    1) Have you set VCCSA manually? 32GB of memory at DDR3-1866 will definitely need extra voltage to the memory controller. As a quick debug, pull half of the modules and set memory frequency to DDR3-1333 and see if the problems persist when installing Windows.
    2) If you are using SSDs, check they have the latest firmware (if applicable) and also don't use the Intel IRST drivers for now, the native MS AHCI driver is often more stable than Intel's drivers with some SSDs.
    3) What BIOS version are you using (you can check the version in CPU-Z mainboard tab)?
    -Raja

I have been running with 16GB at 1333 since with no issues.  I am using the Marvell Raid controller on the P9X79 PRO board and an Areca Raid adapter for my Raid 0 drives.

Greg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to RByds4te

How do you give "extra voltage to the memory controller?" as above?

Videoguys are recommending G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 1866 with their (STILL yet to be built and tested) DIY9/3930k.   Would I need to do anything special to make this ram stable?  A lot of other people have proceeded with DIY9 specs and are having all sorted of stability issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to ECBowen

Finally received 8 of the new Samsung Low Voltage sticks and they tested fine once some settings were manually changed from the profile. They were still unstable at the default profile though so these likely will require some adjustment to work correctly in general.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Hi Eric - so the G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 1866 sticks won't ever be stable with ASUS P9X79 PRO ??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Jared Andrews

Jared Andrews wrote:

Hi Eric - so the G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 1866 sticks won't ever be stable with ASUS P9X79 PRO ??

Maybe with the expensive i7-3960X only. The memory controllers in the i7-3930K and the i7-3820 are far pickier than the one in the i7-3960X.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Jared Andrews

Well the problem is what IC's Gskill builds with on those. I also would not use any XMP Profile above 1600. If they are Hynix modules then you have a better chance of getting them to run at 1600 but they should work at 1333. Outside of that your at the mercy of what batch those chips are and what Memory latency detection the board currently has for those modules. RJ is right about the 3960X though as the easiest but far more expensive work around.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Cheers Eric - appreciated.

So if I pay a little extra for the 3960K,  this combo should work without any BIOS voltage tweaking of the ram?

CPU: Intel Core i7 3960K

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro

Memory: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 1866

And if I did want to moderately OC things, would I need to tweak voltages in BIOS or just rely on the software provided?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Jared Andrews

Those should work with the 3960X. However there will still be configuration requirements in the bios for them to work right. That will not change.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points