Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Hyperthreading supported in AE CS 5.5 64-bit?

Apr 24, 2012 8:56 PM

I was under the impression that if you went into preferences and selected the number of processors to use or to leave remaining then AE would use the correct number of procs.  However I have found that since my machine is a WinTel system with hyperthreading enabled (doubling my processor count effectively) After Effects doesn't recognize the doubled processor count when I use Task Manager and see the system performance tab.

Any ideas?  Maybe this has been covered before and there is a link I could get pointed to?

Thanks,

markerline

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to markerline

AE only uses physical cores. And you are misunderstanding - HT in no way doubles performance, even if AE would use it. Those virtual cores still run on your physical cores and are just spawned as separate processing loops.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to Mylenium

That's not correct. After Effects does see and use the virtual cores created by hyperthreading.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:38 PM   in reply to markerline

Show a screenshot of Task Manager so that we see what you're seeing. Same with Memory & Multiprocessing settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to markerline

> i dont take myleniums posts lightly.  he seems pretty experienced in the forums.

He is right at least as often as I am. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Yeah, on a good day I'm effin' brilliant. It just seems that ever since my illness is eating me alive, there are no good days anymore and I end up posting crap at 3.30 in the morning after only 4 hours of sleep... Anyway, it seems I misremembered some stuff which only applied to CS4. Sorry for the confusion. As Todd said, it would help to know more about the system and whether the virtual cores actually show up . If not, that might indicate a deeper problem like some shared library missing (.NET runtimes and that stuff) or the cores being MIA for otehr reasons...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to markerline

> I obscured my total number of processors in the settings above.

Why?

Anyway, regarding your result: Nothing unusual is happening. You have 24GB of RAM and have left 6GB for other applications. That leaves 18GB for After Effects. You are telling After Effects to use 3GB per rendering process; and the foreground process needs the same amount plus a little bit. At 3GB per process (plus 20% extra for the foreground process's overhead), you can feed 4 background rendering processes and 1 foreground process with 18GB of RAM.

This is totally normal.

All of this is explained in the resources here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to markerline

Why would you crop the image that was supposed to show us how many processes were working, when the entire point of the conversation is how many processes are working?

After Effects does spread processing to all CPUs. You can see it in this video that I recorded: http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/optimizing-cpus

If it's not doing so for you, perhaps hyperthreading isn't working on your system because of an OS issue. Is it working for other applications?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to markerline

Why on earth would you feel uncomfortable sharing your system specs? I have never heard of anybody with an issue like this before? What are you afraid is going to happen? I'm genuinely curious.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to markerline

I understand privacy concerns.

I used to be a technical support agent for one of the world's largest computer companies (I don't want to say their name, of course...but their initials were HP). And even with a technical background, I can't think of anything someone could possibly do with information on your system specs. Your email, your username, and all of that? Sure, some nefarious individual MIGHT be able to do something with those(if they wanted to spend the time and effort to target you directly), but be at peace; they can't do anything just by knowing your system specs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to markerline

markerline wrote:

i just think you might not be considering those who value their online privacy from potential wrongdoers.

Understood, but in this instance it seems a little more than paranoid.  If you go to the doctor's office for a checkup, then intentionally fail to mention the pain in your elbow because you don't trust how they've implemented the HPPA law, you've done yourself little good.

By withholding pertinent information about your system you're impeding an accurate diagnosis. 

It's not like we're asking about IP addresses or anything...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

Yeah we dont care where UP at all. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers