Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Book Module

Apr 24, 2012 10:06 AM

What is the best third party tool for converting the book pdf file to jpgs?  I do have the pro adobe acrobat and did use that, i'm just wanting to make sure I have the best possible resolution.  Also is there yet a way to create a custom size book/template to comply with my print vendor specifications?  I love the idea of the book module...if only i could output jpgs and create custom sizes :/  I'm praying that this will be included in the next update.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to sallyfrvalley

Welcome to the club, Sally!

Without any further update you will not be able to specify your own size dimensions. It is not even possible to create a frame-filling format of PDF for presentation on an iPad!

If you would not use free text you might be better off with the print module, printing to jpgs. If you use custom package you can have the total volume in 1 go and 1 saved print.

Plus you could rotate your images within a cell to best fit it (which some subjects can do very well).

Lucky you if you like the delivered templates of the book module well enough.

Inclusion into the next update could only mean that they finally publish the SDK, i.e. how to create your own templates, which will have the page dimensions incorporated.

Sorry that I am of no help regarding your question about 3rd-party tools for conversion from PDF to JPG. This is a use case I never had and that I refuse to accept.

Can't you specify the resolution in Acrobat for the conversion? For most sizes 300ppi should be well enough, too much even. The print module in LR3 suggested 240ppi for the smaller sizes like 4x6''. Some book printers here even want only 150ppi.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to sallyfrvalley

If need be, you can open the individual pages in Ps, flatten and save out as jpegs.

Though, I too, am extremely disappointed that the Book module is so restrictive in output options ... even the closed-minded dicatators at Apple offer a way to export pages to jpeg from Aperture 3 ... you would think that the enlighned folks at Adobe could have done better ... but I guess we will have to accept that they know best and we should be grateful that they added a Book module at all ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to sallyfrvalley

Yeah ... well we can thank Kevin T for the Book module ... instead of actually talking with photographers and asking them what they wanted in such a feature ... he visited a book store and devised a method to strictly replicate what he found on bookshelves that could be easily printed by Blurb ... this totally ignoring the fact that there is a sizeable segment of Lr users who create books and albums usng dozens, if not hundreds of other printers/vendors ... overlooking the fact that for every "My Most Recent Trip to Yosemite" book on the shelves at the local book store ... there are hundreds, if not thousands of wedding and portrait albums produced every year ... Don't get me wrong ... I don't have an issue with Blurb ... but how am I supposed to separate myself from my competition by only offering a product that John Q. Public can acquire themselves directly from Blurb? ... Yes, the development team hit one out of the park with this effort ...

Sally, for your perusal ...

http://www.pixiq.com/article/kevin-tieskoetter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to Butch_M

I am sadly going to have to agree with Butch on this one. I was truly excited to see that there was to be a book module in LR4.

The reality of that module has been discussed at length. Upon reading the link above, I note the comment at the bottem and it

sadly reflects the following, "Maybe in LR5...". Really? We have been saying this about the upgrades since LR1. It is always

"maybe in LRx....." ... the slide show module will work, the upgrades will be seamless, the blah, blah, blah, will be "fixed".  I love

LR for what it can do. I honestly do. I appreciate all the work the Adobe team has done and continues to do. But, and this is a

big but, as someone who uses this product in a full time studio business, there are some big issues.  It is now my practice to just

"start over" when a new LR come out and totatally keep my catalogues separate. If I want to work on a file in a new LR version,

I bring in a raw copy. I verify that I can use any 3rd party software using their vendor updates and move on.  It is just too time

consuming to try to deal with all the issues.  You could spend all of your time dealing with these issues and still not be done. This

flies in the face of the original idea of LR being the end all, be all vehicle for image storage when this becomes necessary.

Roes might be a pain depending on your vendor, but at least you can get done what needs to be done.  As far as the unresolved

issues and the fact that LR4 is now in another RC, I won't even go there. Sadly, the simple answer for me is to just click at the top

and hide a module that doesn't work in a usable manner for my workflow. 

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to asu_chic

asu_chic wrote:

I was truly excited to see that there was to be a book module in LR4.

Me too ... That is what is so surprising ... with a prime example of how it can be done in a manner to allow instant customization and fluid output for various uses, I thought the Lr Team would at least take a look at the Book feature (and the Slideshow feature) in Aperture 3 ... then absolutely blow it out of the water ... like they have done so in the past ... instead they chose to paint themselves and their users into a corner ...

The sad truth is, except for Library, Develop and Print ... Adobe is at least two years behind ... with no expectations of catching up for at least two more ... and with the recent track record it would be considerably foolish to wager anything of value that those who make the decisions will pay attention and offer suitable alternatives.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't know of any other method other than to comment here and on the feedback forum about my disappointment and dissatisfaction about the current offering in Lr4. Not once has an Adobe employee responded ... not even a "under consideration" or "just shut up already" comment ... so I have little to no hope anything positive will occur ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Butch_M

True. The thing that sees so odd to me, don't know if anyone else felt this, but it seemed as though the "4 beta" was more of a

"pre-release" than a beta, because the initial feedback was met with some rather terse advice that "this is how it's gonna be".

That rather suggested that feedback other than actual "bugs" was not at all welcome. Well, a message just popped up that

LR4.2 RC is available, so, I guess hope springs eternal. 

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to asu_chic

Yep ... just as I expected ... the only "fix" for the Book module was "Estimated price does not update when switching between books in the Collection panel." ... A lot of good that does if you don't order books from Blurb ... oh well ... Guess I'll just wait and see if Apple updates Aperture this summer before I make a decision to purchase the Lr 4 upgrade ... by then we'll probably be in RC 25 ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Butch_M

There's also Export to Jpeg. Or was in RC1 already?

În data de 27 aprilie 2012, 00:21, Butch_M <forums@adobe.com> a scris:

Re: Book Module  created by Butch_M<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Butch_M>in

Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4363876#4363876

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață wrote:

There's also Export to Jpeg. Or was in RC1 already?

If that is so ... the documentation is well hidden ... I looked everywhere I could over at Labs and it didn't seem to be mentioned on the TH Lightroom Journal blog ....

I'll download RC2 and see ... Though, if we can't still implement custom page sizes ... it is still an exercise in futility ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

It's new in 4.1 RC 2.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Butch_M

book_jpeg.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to Butch_M

"Though, if we can't still implement custom page sizes ..."

I knew you'd say that, and I don't disagree.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

I knew you'd say that, and I don't disagree.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Yes it is in there ... jpeg export, that is ... but we are still bound by Blurb specific boundaries for templates ... it just boggles my mind why custom page sizes was the after thought and a single specific vendor was the entire focus ... I think everyone would have been better off if NO specific vendor were attached to the book feature for the time being ... Let ALL book vendors fend for themselves instead of the entire world revolving around one vendor chasing their tail ... I'm grateful for the addition of jpeg export ... and am not feeling comfortable about having to build dozens of templates from scratch just to add the module to my workflow ... I'm still not convinced if upgrading to Lr4.x RCx is in my best long-term interests ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to sallyfrvalley

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to sallyfrvalley

I guess that is possibly part of the plan ... I haven't seen any official word yet though ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to sallyfrvalley

Yes, this is interesting. Will they "do it right" or stall out????? Inquiring minds want to know!!! LOL

I do not have In Design and do not wish to have to use yet another software to create

custom templets. I totally agree this should not have been tied to a specific vendor.

It's as though the wedding/portrait/fine art users were brushed aside and the use as originally

implimented was as crippled as the slideshow module still is. Here's hoping.....

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Another little change is that you can now put the filename in a photo's caption - handy for proof books.

Anyway, Butch (and others), I don't think I've seen you say much about how many different custom sizes you might typically encounter. Is this 2-3 favoured vendors, or are your page sizes a lot more diverse? Secondly, because Book's page size definitions and templates are linked, I'd be interested to hear about the variety of page layouts. My needs are already met by the templates (I'd be happy if I could get rid of lots of the tutti frutti layouts), but do you typically lay out books in a freeform style - almost like Print's custom layout?

John

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

I don't think I've seen you say much about how many different custom sizes you might typically encounter. Is this 2-3 favoured vendors, or are your page sizes a lot more diverse?

This depends upon which style of book a client may desire ... I offer books in sizes from 5"x5" up to 12"x12" for square, or 5"x7" up to 11"x14" rectangular ... throw in the various trim/binding parameters for each size due to the finishing needs for the various styles ... we are soon closing in on dozens of variables for page sizes ... each vendor/book size may have slightly different requirements.

johnbeardy wrote:

Secondly, because Book's page size definitions and templates are linked, I'd be interested to hear about the variety of page layouts.

I like to let the specific images being used dictate the specific layout, rather than plug the specific images into an exisiting standard layout ... this isn't etched into granite ... as I do have many "standard" templates I re-use often ... but there should also be a fluidity, freestyle capability to enhance the flow of the process.

I too don't really need themes to work with ... I create my own themes along the way, dictated by the images ... The ability to customze a layout like in Print, would be ideal ... though Kevin T dismissed that in his interview with Sean, I think he overlooked an important aspect to the creative process that already is available right within Lightroom ... a huge mistake in my mind.

Again ... I don't expect the Book module to be the inclusion of the full feature set of InDesign for ease of function ... I have always felt that ID, for such book/album layout was overkill for the task ... though, the Book module should be a bit more freeform than it currently is ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch_M wrote:

johnbeardy wrote:

Secondly, because Book's page size definitions and templates are linked, I'd be interested to hear about the variety of page layouts.

I like to let the specific images being used dictate the specific layout, rather than plug the specific images into an exisiting standard layout ... this isn't etched into granite ... as I do have many "standard" templates I re-use often ... but there should also be a fluidity, freestyle capability to enhance the flow of the process.

I too don't really need themes to work with ... I create my own themes along the way, dictated by the images ... The ability to customze a layout like in Print, would be ideal ... though Kevin T dismissed that in his interview with Sean, I think he overlooked an important aspect to the creative process that already is available right within Lightroom ... a huge mistake in my mind.

Again ... I don't expect the Book module to be the inclusion of the full feature set of InDesign for ease of function ... I have always felt that ID, for such book/album layout was overkill for the task ... though, the Book module should be a bit more freeform than it currently is ...

I could not agree more!

Add one page size layout: fit to iPad.

For the rest it depends which book printing agency I choose. Obviously the European DIN A3, 4, 5 formats would be included. It will be different for each market.

Yes, I, too, have templates which I re-use rather frequently, but most of them get created along real images. That is especially true when I do some partial overlaps of images. It is very difficult to plan that ahead into templates, because with each image it differs which part can be hidden=overlapped by another image. Fluidity means that I can create a page in print module and go to book module from there.

That this should be so easily dismissed is unfathomable !!!

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points