Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Only upgraded just 4 months ago?

Apr 26, 2012 5:14 AM

Tags: #upgrade #cs6

Hi.

Iv only just upgraded to CS5 Ext just over 4 months ago, is there some kind of special price to upgrade again within a certain time period of already upgrading not so long ago?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 26, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Rectro

Rectro, I hate to the bearer of bad news, but the time period does exist, and is very much shorter than the four months that applies to you.  On the positive side, you will qualify for the upgrade price, whereas without the CS5 purchase, you'd have had to pay full price for CS6.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Rectro

So wait until CS6 has been out for a year and then upgrade to it. That's what you did with CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Rectro

Rectro wrote:

Iv just checked, and anyone with at least CS3 can upgrade to CS6 or CS6 exended without having to buy CS5, so there is no up side to this. Adobe is giving little insentive to users such as myself to order CS6 when they have just upgraded not long ago to CS5 extended, there should be a grace period.

Adobe have had this policy in place for a long time now, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them any.

In the future though (2013 onwards), you'll have to own the previous version in order to qualify for an upgrade to the current one, so no more jumping up from three versions back. Therefore, make sure you get CS6 before CS7 comes out!

M

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 26, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to Rectro

How much would you want them to discount the product?  You got 4 months use out of it.  As dmcrescent has said, it was your choice to upgrade when you did, no one's twisting your arm to pay the upgrade price right away, and it's not like it's obsolete - it still works as well as when you bought it.

You clearly know how to find your way to these forums; nothing stopped you from asking questions about the timing of their release cycles before you spent the money.  4 months ago just about anyone here could have told you the release would probably be around May.

In general, people who want to derive the most value from Photoshop buy the upgrade the day its released.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Rectro

The "grace period" extends (or extended) from March 29 through May 7 (or is it May 6?).  If you bought or upgraded to CS 5.x after March 29 and before CS6 starts shipping, you get CS6 for free.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 26, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to station_one

Rectro, you missunderstood what I was saying.  The situation is unique at the moment, and will change permanently once the grace period expires.  After this we will only be able to upgrade one version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,931 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 27, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to Rectro

I don't know what the expire date is from CS4 to CS6, but when CS7 comes along two years from now, the only upgrade path will be from CS6.  If you still have CS5, then you would have to pay the full price for CS7.

However, there is a plus side that I have not seen mentioned before...

If you upgrade from, say, CS4 to CS6, then you'd need your copy of CS4 activated in order to activate CS6.  So you could not sell it on.  If you could only upgrade one version, and was going from CS5 to CS7, then you could unactivate CS5 on your system, and sell it on to someone else.  I don't know what a four year old version of Photoshop might be worth, but it would at least put a dent in the full cost of the new version.

Can anyone pick holes in that?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:56 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I don't know what the expire date is from CS4 to CS6, but when CS7 comes along two years from now, the only upgrade path will be from CS6.  If you still have CS5, then you would have to pay the full price for CS7.

You can go back from as far as CS3, not CS4. This all ends at the end of 2012, and then it's only one version back from that point onwards.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:10 AM   in reply to Rectro
    I see, so if iv got this right, to have CS7 I can only upgrade if I have CS6

Correct.

That's known as the one-version-back upgrade policy just introduced by Adobe in the CS6 cycle.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#upgrade-eligibili ty

"I own a previous version of a Creative Suite product or suite edition. Do I get a discount if I upgrade to the latest version?

Owners of a CS5 or CS5.5 suite edition qualify for upgrade pricing to a CS6 suite edition. Owners of an individual CS5 or CS5.5 product qualify for upgrade pricing to the same product but not to a suite edition. Any version earlier than CS5 will not be eligible for upgrade pricing."

Used to be three versions back. Now it's only the current version (with one temporary exception).

"Owners of CS3 or CS4 individual products and suite editions will receive temporary upgrade pricing to CS6 until December 31, 2012. After that date, only owners of CS5 or CS5.5 products will qualify for upgrade pricing to CS6."

Basicly I have no choice to upgrade to CS6 if I want to keep on the upgrade wagon, have I got this right?

Correct.

If I upgrade to CS6 about  May 1st 2013, I get CS7 free, but once CS7 is shipping, I have no upgrade option from CS5 extended,

Correct - subject to the actual shipping date of CS7 of course.

The other option is to forget about perpetual licensing (and big upgrade costs every 18 months or so) and sign up for the Adobe Creative Cloud and pay a monthly subscription fee for a boatload of benefits.

Some people love the idea. Other abhor it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

If you could only upgrade one version, and was going from CS5 to CS7, then you could unactivate CS5 on your system, and sell it on to someone else.
    Can anyone pick holes in that?

I think you're probably right.  If you end up paying full price for a new version well down the line then you have not used the old version as an upgrade.

Now, if you upgraded CS5 to CS6, then CS6 to CS7, CS5 would NOT be available for you to sell as it had been used in an upgrade.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points