Skip navigation
ZedAgent
Currently Being Moderated

Visitors can't tag Facebook photos posted via LR4 publish module

Mar 15, 2012 7:40 AM

Tags: #4 #facebook #publish #publish_service

What I'm bringing up is going to be a strange and esoteric issue, and I'll be surprised if anyone has any input to offer, but here goes.

We run a Facebook Page that relies on posting many photos and enabling page visitors to tag themselves in said photos. Up until the LR4 release, we were simply posting these photos through Facebook's web interface. Starting last week, we started using the LR4 publish module to publish straight to our page in order to skip a whole step in our workflow, and we were thrilled with how well it was working. Since then we've uploaded three photo albums via Lightroom. However, beginning just yesterday an interesting issue has developed. We started getting complaints from guests that they couldn't tag their images, and after testing it out, we confirmed that visitors are no longer able to tag themselves in the LR-uploaded photo albums. This was not the case the whole past week, where we saw dozens and dozens of people being tagged. All older albums (ones uploaded traditionally) still let guests tag photos with no issues.

Anyone have any insight to shed? As much as we love being able to publish right from Lightroom, we plan to revert back to posting via Facebook like always until this issue is resolved.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to ZedAgent

Is this happening in all 3 Lightroom Albums? Or only ones created recently? Were they working previously? What is the Privacy setting for your Album on Facebook and in Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to ZedAgent

Another one here that has struck the same problem.  I did a test to confirm it was Lightroom: I uploaded two image into the same album: one using Lightroom 3.5 and one using the Facebook uploader.  People can tag themselves in the image uploaded via the Facebook Uploader, but they can't in the one uploaded by Lightroom.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.313035188758989.74637.174587 205937122&type=1&notif_t=photo_album_comment

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to banquetbear

And just to add another datapoint: tagging was working fine right up until the latest album upload which was about five days ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to ZedAgent

And just to add another datapoint Zed, as admin I can only tag personal friends to images and I can bizarely tag public figures: but I can't tag people who have "liked" my page at all.  Very frustrating: it took me a night to isolate the problem and the only other people talking about it on the internet are here in this thread!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to banquetbear

This whole issue is very strange because Lightroom should not be able to control whether or not an image can be tagged, nor should upload location determine this as well. But from time to time Facebook updates it's image code and it breaks the functions that interact with our software. In these cases, Facebook has to reupdate their code to fix it. But we are testing on our side to see if we can replicate and find a source to the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Brett N

I made a test of this issue by uploading a file to Facebook from Lightroom 4. I then asked my friends to tag themselves, tag their friends, and ask their friends (who are not my friends) to tag themselves. This all worked (except I had to approve the tags from people that were not my friends, but they were able to make the request).

I visited your link above banquetbear, but found that I could tag neither image. I did notice that the image uploaded from Lightroom was smaller than the one using the Facebook uploader. What kinds of settings are you using in the publish settings of LR? Can you post a screen shot?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Brett N

So that's what we were all doing...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

Oh, Hi Rikk! You caught me (us).

I suppose we'll have to try this test again, but to a Page instead of a Profile...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to ZedAgent

Has anyone managed to solve this issue?  I've been watching this thread with interest as I too am experiencing the issues described.  In my case, I use Lightroom 3.6 and the Jeffrey Friedl's Lightroom plugin for Facebook.  Around the same time as the original post, I found that members of 2 Pages I admin were not able to tag anyone, despite 'Liking' the Page.

now that the Pages have automatically become Timeline's, the problem persists.  Very curious as to whether anyone has been able to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to ZedAgent

Me too, narxzrugn!

fans are unable to tag photos on my fan pages since January 2012.

Steps taken to resolve issue:

- have set page profile setting “People can tag photos posted by Spinferno {Fire & Photography}” to ticked.

- have set page type to ‘person’ (Artist)

- have reauthenticated my Jfeidl Lightroom export plugin and attempted to test again. Unsuccessful.

- have looked into Adobe’s LR4 forum: status is unsolved.

- have sent several FB support requests: no replies yet.

I alone am able to tag all photos, but nobody else is.

To everyone who is having this problem, please stand up and be counted as that will get this problem more fairly escalated by Abobe and FB:

Here is the tag issues in FB community help, please make it clear that you too are experiencing this problem, thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=2130863

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Fire_dancer

Rikk and I have been working together, but we aren't really able to reproduce the issue. He uploaded images to his Business page using Lightroom and the Jfeidl plug-in and I was able to tag them. I uploaded some files to a Fan page using Lightroom without the plug-in and he was able to tag them. In both cases, there were some issues with the Facebook side of things concerning security settings, but in neither case did it have anything to do with Lightroom (although the Jfeidl plug-in may have been changing some security settings). We still need more information to find a root cause for the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to Brett N

Perhaps Jeffrey, the developer of the plugin has some developers' insight into the matter? As users, we can only share front end experiences
    Thanks so much for following up on this, Brett

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett, thanks for your support.

When you tried the 2 tests you mentioned, are you by any chance an admin on each other's Pages?  In my case at least, I personally can tag other people, and so can other admins of the Page (there are 3-4 admins on each of the two Pages).

The Pages are both public (in that anyone can join by 'Liking'), so if it would help I am happy to provide links to you so you can see the behaviour first-hand.

I am very keen to get to the bottom of this since it is impacting my workflow quite a bit.

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to narxzrugn

We are not admins on each other's pages. We just hit the Like button on the other's page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

Are you facebook friends?

My personal friends can tag themselves, non-friends can't.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to banquetbear

yes, we are FB friends

Since you three who are having trouble are not my FB friends, try tagging yourself to this image. If it doesn't work, like the page and then try to tag yourself. Report back if you cannot.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=309848415753880&set=a.233743533 364369.55364.144586652280058&type=1&theater

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

That image wasn't uploaded using the Lightroom Publisher module, but via Jeffrey Friedl's plugin, correct?  We are having problems with the LR3 and LR4 Publish Modules.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to banquetbear

Correct- Jeffrey's plugin. Previous posters were using that. Someone was successful in tagging the image however.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to banquetbear

Tried that image Rikk - had to Like the Page to see the tag option - and have tagged it (I think you need to approve now as it hasn't shown up yet).

Just to clarify, I am having issues using J.Friedl's plugin. I believe from reading other posts elsewhere, the issue is with both the Publish Module AND the JF Plugin.

Rikk, I assume that is your own Page, and is linked to your personal FB account?  I wonder if this behaviour is to do with Pages that were not created from within someone's personal account.  I know in my case, the 2 Pages I admin were not created by myself.

I'll try and make a page via my personal profile, then see if I can replicate the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to narxzrugn

Someone tagged it Adobe-Forum Test-Tag... is that you?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

It was yes.  Everything seemed to work as expected...had to Like the Page first, tag option appeared, tagged (you approved of course) ...so some more testing is needed it seems!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to narxzrugn

I didn't have to approve it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

Ah I see my mistake - it didn't show up immeditaly so I thought it was waiting for approval.  I'll try adding some images to a page and post some links here - tomorrow all being well.

Thanks for your continued support

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points