Skip navigation
Chris Campbell 9,455 posts
May 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Working around the 10.7 Lion Flash Player settings bug

Jul 22, 2011 4:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tyHV_cz5gA

In this video, I describe how you can work around the Flash Player / 10.7 settings bug by using Flash Player's native control panel.  This should help you solve every issue except for disabling hardware acceleration.  We working hard to get this bug fixed asap.

Thanks,

Chris

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 23, 2011 2:52 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thank you Chris.

But it still doesn't work if I use the Private Browsing...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

This should help me to solve every issue? How do I switch to another camera if i have more than one cam connected (internal / external)? This is not configurable using the global settings (preferences) - or is it?

This is a 10.7 problem only? I had it on 10.6 also with flash 10.3 - and others too - just google it...

Thanks for your help...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2011 6:34 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Tried using your suggestions to help me with my "Local Storage" bug...However, after pressing the apple, selecting System Preferences...the Storage settings was already selected as "Allow" and did not require me to change it.  When I selected "Local Storage Settings by Site..." all the sites were set to "Allow" and yet the settings bug still remains on the screen...

Please see my post Adobe Flash Player and Mac OS X 10.7

for the screenshot...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 12:32 AM   in reply to scd199720

Same problem here. The workaround doesn't work for Local Storage. Any information on when a fix may be available for this? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Can you post your video in othe formats? Real  Player format? Can't view the Flash movie, Flash is not working in browser! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 9:38 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

The issue has been resolved with 10.3.183.5. I was able to Allow/Deny Local Storage requests. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 7:51 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi,

I have Adobe Flash version 10.3.183.7 installed on my Mac, I am using 10.7.1.  I have been working in Shutterfly, creating a photo book, and I keep getting a similar message to the one shown in Chris's video.  The dialog box is asking to use more storage space - it lists "Requested - Up to 1 MB, Currently Used - 1 KB".   I am not able to click on any of the buttons on the dialog box and my shutterfly page freezes up.  I have tried this using Safari, Firefox, and Google Chrome and I get the same message.  I also tried opening the shutterfly book on a different mac computer which is running 10.6.8.

Per your video I have updated the systems preferences (storage, camera & mic, and playback) to allow the website listed in the dialog box (cdn.staticsfly.com), however the box still keeps popping up. 

Are there any other workarounds so I can use the Shutterfly web page?

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 12:50 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi,

I also have a MAC with Lion and a ATI Radeon HD 2600.. and I have been having the same problem for a few weeks, I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling Flashplayer and Google Chrome, and Firefox several times to no avail.  One cannot delete and reload Safari, Someone suggested empyting cache etc - but this does not work at all.

In my Local Storage Settings the website is shown as "allow" - and I have deleted all several times and then put them back.

It is getting most annoying,,,is there a fix for this - can one use an older version of Flash ? 

i have tried to find  "global settings" having looked in all the FAQ's etc but do not seem to be able to get anything in a window except  -  storage / Camera and Mic/Playback/ Advanced.  This only seems to allow you to go into  "local storage settings by site" which I have done and it shows the website !

I have version  10.3.183.7 of Flash.

thanks very  much,

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 6:45 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

My imac 10.7.1 does use the ATI Radeon HD2600 video card.

The dialog box also is coming up on the Macbook 10.6.8 (this uses the ATI Radeon X1600).

Thanks for looking into some steps for a work around - that would be great!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2011 7:06 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I think it was changing the storage limit in the Website storage settings panel - that allowed me to move the arrow to unlimited storage and I have not received the error message again since.  I had already done several of the other steps you listed but I think that one did the trick for the project I was working on. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2011 5:23 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Apologies for digging up an old thread but this is an intermittent issue I have had for the past 2 years or so (and so can't simply be a 10.7 issue).

Mac OS X 10.4.11

Flash 10,3,183,10

Firefox 3.6.23

RadeonX1600

I've found myself here after running into the issue again while playing this game http://www.physicsgames.net/game/Cut_and_Kill_Halloween.html . The Local Storage Settings pops-up after completing level 2 - which I cannot click. Also if I right click on a youtube video and select Settings, I also cannot click that.

In my attempts to find a solution in the past I have found other forums where it has been suggested that the issue is caused by folder permissions... and indeed when I performed "Repair Disk Permissions" just now in Disk Utility it found/fixed these:

Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- 
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

...although unfortunately it hasn't fixed the issue.

Interestingly though, if I right click and sellect Settings on the embedded flash thing here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ I CAN click and control it as intended.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2011 4:24 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris,

While the notes were very helpful in allowing me to change the Flash settings, I still have an issue.

Although I have turned Hardware Acceleration On and Off playback in full screen is still very jerky and poor, in fact it is really useless.

I too have the iMac with the ATI Radeon HD2600 video card in it.

Before Lion this worked perfectly well with Flash, but now it does not.

Is this a Flash issue or a Lion issue?

Will this ever be addressed by Adobe or Apple?

Thanks,

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 3:15 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I would just like to note that the problem with unclickable settings persists, and I am using flash plug-in version 11.1.102.55

Going to full screen is not always possible with many chat sites, so the full screen "fix" won't work.

I too am using OSX Lion but had the problem with Leopard before I upgraded.

(forgot to mention that my graphics card chipset is ATI Radeon HD 2600}

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Why has this still not been fixed? This was reported over SEVEN months ago.

Also, your work around does not work when it comes to Peer Assisted Networking. Even when manually entered into the "Local Storage Settings by Site" any site which requires P.A.N. still pops up the settings box and is therefore unusable.

Can we at least get an ETA for when this will be fixed and we can go back to using sites that we need? Also, one of the sites i need to use is Scene7. Shooting yourself in the foot there.

Using version 11.1.102.55.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Chris, I appreciate your persistence and optimism (really), but this is crazy.  I guess there is no love lost between Adobe and Apple, but this is a really important issue for millions of users.  When is this really going to be fixed?  Does your management care about this?  Seems they're just leaving you hanging!  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Okay, I believe you.  Just fix it already!  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

well I've done every thing on here but l Still wont work   FIX THIS OR EVEN BETTER VERSION

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'm also having this problem on 10.7.3 (Macbook Pro).

As I couldn't work around that bug either, I switched to my other machine (a PC running Ubuntu Linux 11.10 (x86_64)) and it turns out the problem is actually occurring on Linux, too!

Flash 11.2 r202

Ubuntu 11.10 64-Bit,

Firefox 11.0 as well as Opera 11.62

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to tobiasvogel

the issue on linux is separate from mac.  the issue on linux is a possible conflict with compiz.  it may be a single setting, but to find out quickly you may want to disable or uninstall compiz to see if this resolves your issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I don't know if your video fixes the problem, "flash player settings unclickable"  Iam unable to see the screen because a big fat square box is sitting right in front of the video contents and i can't see it!  If you presented in tet intead, I could probably read it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I'm seeing this problem with Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Safari 5.1.5. I can't click on the Flash Player Settings dialogue to enable access to my microphone. Interestingly, when I go to the Flash Global Security Settings Panel, I can click and select things in that window. Also, the FP Settings dialogue works in Chrome and Firefox (on the same Mac).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to boulder_lingie

Im using OS 10.7.3.  Ive been trying to follow your video but can't because the problem I'm having is in the way.  I can't tell where you are clicking and pointing.  I recently bought this MAC.  I don't know why a microphone setting is involved in trying to watch on line videos.?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Mac OS 10.7.3, Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 according to plugins list. Problem on this page will not go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu4O7Bs9quI&feature=digest_wed

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I think the problem she is having is that none of these solutions work. And its been F%#@ing months. This should have been escalated along time ago, are you turning into a 2nd rate company or something?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I was not able to resolve it in any way. This whole site is now useless to me.can-click-nothing.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I am having this same problem across all browsers! Attempted all fixes and even setting allow access for specific site and still get the popup to allow, but cannot click or close the window. I am using:

OSX 10.7.3

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Newest version of Flash from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Attempted to repair permissions and multiple uninstall/reinstalls

Please help with this matter!

Thanks,

SadChad

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:05 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Nope, this did not do it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I don't seem to have the folders your looking for:

• ~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\
    • ~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

I have:

\Library\Preferences\

but no \Macromedia or anything else flash related there

I have:

\Library\Caches\

but no \Adobe or anything else adobe related here

So, I am unable to complete the manual process as described and the regular process did not yield any results.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I used the "click the button" method. I dont have these files or folders either:

Macintosh

~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\

~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

I searched my computer for anyting with "flash" in it and deleted all plugins. I am getting the same unalterable window in LiveStream as well. I am going to try downgrading to Flash Player 10.3 for Mac OS 10.4 - 10.5 (Intel).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)