Skip navigation
rotipom79
Currently Being Moderated

Print Selection Failed no matter what I do!

Nov 29, 2010 7:43 PM

I have In Design CS4 installed on my Vista 64-bit for the past year. And recently I have been getting print selection failed, restoring previous selection (which defaults to Postscript) no matter what I do. Sometimes if I restart my pc it will work but then happens again. Printing works on other suite programs so I know its not my printer and it used to work fine for the past year!

I have tried to trash my preferences and all, but didn't help any. Can someone help me with this? This has really become a major pain for such an expensive program!

Thanks much

A

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2010 4:15 AM   in reply to rotipom79

That error, as far as I know, means that ID is not seeing the printer. The first thing I would try is reinstalling the printer in Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2010 6:20 AM   in reply to rotipom79

Is this a local printer, or network? It's really unlikely the problem is inside ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 4:51 PM   in reply to rotipom79

Try replacing the printer cable. Use the shortest cable that will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 5:53 AM   in reply to rotipom79

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Since the most obvious casues seem to be eliminated at this point you might want to try reinstalling InDesign.

Try running a "Repair" from the installation media (run the installer) before resorting to completely uninstalling and reinstalling. Be sure you back up your important customizations and presets first (you can find soome advice in the thread on how to Replace Your Preferences). If you decide to do a full reinstall, you may aslo want to run the CS5 cleanup tool: Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to rotipom79

I beleive the clean-up tool is a "scorched-earth" solution -- nothing selective about it except the version -- but thankfully I've never had to run it to solve a problem here.

Aside from that, If you are thinking about upgrading at all in the future, you should do it now. You still qualify for upgrade pricing to CS5.5, and a CS5.5 purchase now will get you a free CS6 upgrade when it is released in a few weeks. http://www.adobe.com/products/discount-software-coupons.html?PID=21599 97

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points