• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on preparing images for printing to canvas

Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to prepare an image to be printed on a canvas using a service like http://www.pixwraps.com/

1. Can anyone share any general tips for preparing images in PS to make them look better when printed this way?

2. What should I look for to assess quality when trying to pick one of these types of printing services? Types of ink used, canvas, etc.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine you would need to do anything other than submitting the image. As long as the image quality meets their needs, and the image itself looks good, what else is there for you to prepare? I would think whatever service you are going to use, ask them specific questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting (really a headache) they don't offer a "FAQ"

i did dig in their Help section

but no sign of what profile to use (sRGB?)

with

Types of ink used, canvas, etc.

i think price should be a pretty good indicator of quality of goods

best Photoshop tip is to hardware 'calibrate' your monitor so you can accurately color balance image and embed your profile

second

call and ask them what profile to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine there would be any need for a specific color profile (outside the default srgb). You would have to account for type of fabric, maybe the thickness of the fabric, etc... even with those few variables, ink maybe absorb differently from strand to strand. I don't think there is any "true" color accuracy when printing on a fabric canvas. I imagine the finished image is going to have a washed out effect anyway, so like I said, submnitting a high resolution image should be the only major concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

I can't imagine there would be any need for a specific color profile (outside the default srgb)…

!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!!! 

I'm not sure what you're questioning, but I've never seen a service like this make a stink about the color profile used. I'm sure whatever color profile the customer submits is converted to whatever profile the company needs. These images aren't printed on typical paper, so I would imagine true color is not going to be expected. If they print on a colored canvas, I would imagine the photo's colors are going to shift as they merge in with the color of the material. If they print on brown-paper canvas, there is no color profile in the world in which will result in an accurate color replication. That was my point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used stretch Canvas for exhibition prints.  One thing to consider is the wrap round.  If the printer lets the image wrap round the frame, then try expanding the canvas by the right amount, and using Content Aware Fill to extend the image.  It does not need to be perfect.  

There are lots of FAQs out there, and they will be at least partly relevant to your printer, but the first thing to do is to ALWAYS speak to the printer.  I would never use a flakey online service where aspect ratios are arbitary for instance.

http://www.thecanvasprintstudio.co.uk/faq-on-canvas-photo-printing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My surprise came from not being familiar with commercial printing services working on canvas.  I only occasionally print on canvas on medium- and large-format Epson printers using various canvas media from Epson, Pictorico and other suppliers, and I just couldn't imagine working in sRGB nor without specific media profiles to soft proof the images before printing them that's all.

Thank you for providing me with insight into other ways of doing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

!!! 

I'm not sure what you're questioning, but I've never seen a service like this make a stink about the color profile used. I'm sure whatever color profile the customer submits is converted to whatever profile the company needs. These images aren't printed on typical paper, so I would imagine true color is not going to be expected. If they print on a colored canvas, I would imagine the photo's colors are going to shift as they merge in with the color of the material. If they print on brown-paper canvas, there is no color profile in the world in which will result in an accurate color replication. That was my point.

If a print shop knows what they are doing they will provide the users with color profiles for any media they use. If I send an image with my wide gamut monitor profile embedded and if the printed output has much narrower gamut I will loose most of my color without warning. If they provide me with a color profile of the media I can create my images accordingly having in mind the limits of the destination color space by simulating it on my monitor. Any media including canvas can be profiled with good spectrophotometers and densitometers. The fact that most print shops don't do that dosn't mean that they are doing it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I did find a canvas printing color profile at Winkflash when I looked just now.  That's new - the dates on the profile and PDF in the package are December 2011.

People are seeing the light about color management a little at a time.

I also saw, when visiting their site, that Winkflash is currently offering 60% off canvas orders at the moment, using coupon code:  CANVAS60

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My practice for a long, long time has been never to print on any paper or media for which I don't have an accurate color profile for my specific printers, whether provided by the paper manufacturer or custom made from test images on my printers.

When I use commercial labs, I avoid those who only accept sRGB files and/or don't provide a specific profiles for their printers and media.  Even Costco outlets provide such profiles for each of their locations.

That's why I was surprised to read post #3: 

"I can't imagine there would be any need for a specific color profile (outside the default srgb)…"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a case of responses getting off topic and a little out of context. I originally answered (in general terms based by the "general tips" the OP asked for) by stating "unless the company specifically mentions this or that, then I would contact them for specifics" - otherwise if they don't mention it, maybe it's not an issue with their service. I was trying to get across unless the company mentions a specific color profile, then I would imagine the default srgb would be acceptable. Later on, I talked about if printing on certain materials such as rough canvas (like burlap - which is the first thing I thought of when hearing canvas) - I mentioned if this was the material, then I would imagine color profiles wouldn't even matter because of the different absorption rates. All this would be solved by simply contacting the company for specifics... everything else is probably relative to the many variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel's Law:

Any discussion involving color-management WILL get off topic and out of context.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

I think this is a case of responses getting off topic and a little out of context…

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, I nevertheless must disagree.

Post #3 unambiguously stated

I can't imagine there would be any need for a specific color profile (outside the default srgb).

It was in response to that remark that I typed "!!!  "

On the other hand, I agree with Noel's comment re discussions involving color management.  What's more, I see absolutely nothing wrong with topic drift when necessary. 

Some of the most valuable insights I have gained as a lurker over the years have come from tangential discussions that veered off the original topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, I nevertheless must disagree.

Apparently, you are wanting to beat a dead horse. Let me try to explain this again for the last time.

You know what, I'm not going to waste my time. Dude, I was talking about the possibility of the fabric being something like thick burlap, and IF that was the material, then I further explained my doubts a color profile (other than a typical and more than likely acceptable srgb) would even matter based on the possible different absorption rates between the strands of material.

If you read comments in context (and in proper order), then you shouldn't misread what I say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, right, some people might be talking about printing on thick burlap rather than on fine-art Canvas photographic paper.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

some people might be talking about printing on thick burlap

I can't believe I'm wasting more time on this... but sometimes one just has to prove their point when another doesn't get it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canvas

The above link references the word "canvas" to be made of materials described as: (please take note)

... extremely heavy-duty plain-woven fabric ...

... for which sturdiness is required...

... historically it was made from hemp... (have you ever seen hemp compared to "fine art canvas")?

... It differs from other heavy cotton fabrics... (meaning it's being placed in the same category as "other heavy cotton fabrics")

I guess you can read on if you want... whether I jumped off topic of the intended material the OP was going to use, I am by all means within the boundaries of possible material when the OP mentioned "canvas"

--- I'm moving on... you can continue to argue if you like. Maybe you have an issue with always having to prove me wrong... seems as if you've been shadowing some of my responses lately anyway... If you like, we can always compare graphic examples of work if you think your knowledge is so superior to mine (especially since you think I'm a young child based off my profile photo - comment from another thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emil emil wrote:

…If they provide me with a color profile of the media I can create my images accordingly having in mind the limits of the destination color space by simulating it on my monitor…

That is precisely the point of soft proofing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I print astroimages to canvas and don't do anything special, besides making sure there's enough background around the edges to ensure the gallery wrap process doesn't cause the main subject to be stretched out past the edges.

The canvas texture will tend to make smooth edges a bit bumpy, but it doesn't really change the appearance in any big way from what it would look like on a smooth poster.

And I don't know what station_one is on about with that surprised look, but I send the big JPEG files for print with the sRGB profile embedded as well, which is what's expected.

FYI, I've always gotten good service from Winkflash.

Noel_Holding_Moon_Print.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I print astroimages…

Noel_Holding_Moon_Print.jpg

That's a beautiful lunar shot, Noel.  I had been meaning to ask if you were the same Noel Carboni

from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's me.  You can view a reasonably high resolution version of that shot here, by the way:

http://noel.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astroimages/Moon_Hypersaturated_Desktop.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very impressive image!  Thank you for sharing it, Noel.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and thanks in return. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was to hold that canvas in front of me, the moon would exactly match the shape of my tummy.

http://images.zaazu.com/img/Full-full-food-fat-smiley-emoticon-000646-facebook.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines