I cannot get the stroke even on this shape I designed. I used two copies of the design. I stroked the bottom one with a 10px stroke to get the outside blue. The top image has a white stroke of 4px with a blue inside. If I do this same approach with a ciricle it always works, but if I apply it to an odd shape I can never get it even. Can anyone help me? I am not sure how to go about this.
You want it be something like this?
The you only need one shape with one fill and two strokes.
You add strokes and fills to an object using the Appearance panel
This is waht you do one you have the path of the shape you want, remember only one shape object.
1. You give it a strok and fillof the same color the blue.
2. You go tothe appearance panel and while the object is still slected you choose from the flyout menu Add New Stroke
3. Now you have two blue strokes and one blue fill
4. You then select the color swatrch of the bottom blue stroke and click on that swatch ( this is all in the Appearance panel) and the swatches will appear and select white.
Every thing still looks the same
5. Highlight what is now the white stroke in the Appearance it will be highlighted blue
7. Go to the Effects>Path>Offset Path and give it say a -3 pts assuming you have say a 4pt stroke.
That last part will bring the white stroke into view. and you are good to go.
For a similar case, when you are starting from scratch, you may:
1) Create the shape with a fill and the same colour stroke with a suitable weight (see below),
2) In the Appearance flyout tick New Stroke, change the colour to the inner/top stroke colour, and change the weight to the desired inner/top stroke weight.
To have an appearance of an outer stroke with the same weight as the inner/top stroke, use thrice the inner stroke weight in 1).
Apart from being a bit simpler, you may prevent strangenesses, or even unpleasant surprises, with Offset Path.