There seems to be something wrong with the Flashbuilder 4.6 installation for Windows. I've downloaded the installation 3 different times (the download completes successfully each time), and tried installing it on 4 different computers 3 with Windows 7, 64bit OS and one with Windows XP 32bit OS. It hangs every time on the same spot, when it is trying to extract the files for the installation. It says "A problem has occurred while extracting some files. It appears it's always after or on the "updateInventory.dll" extraction. The installation doesn't actually ever get a chance to start, it's failing on the extraction of the files to install.
Install File: FlashBuilder_4_6_LS10.exe 806 MB (845,374,656 bytes)
Does anyone have any ideas of how to work around this issue? I'm not sure that anyone with Windows could possibly use this product (trial or purchased) with this issue. (not a great release Adobe!)
Message was edited by: MikaelaS12 -- added more info on not working on WinXP either. (4th different computer.)
No, space doesn't seem to be the problem with me. It seems to be permissions, bugs in the install app, attempts to write somewhere it can't, or something similar. I've got over 500GB of space on the C drive, and over 1TB of space on my second drive. I've moved the install to different areas, (Desktop, my docs, c root, same thing each time -- )
I've tried yet another windows computer, (Dell XPS laptop, Win 7 Ent SP1 64bit, 8GB RAM and had the same problem yet again.) I'm not sure what the trick is but I did try it on a 5th computer and accidently got it to extract properly. The install complained that there was a software update/restart pending and suggested I not proceed. I ignored that warning and it DID EXTRACT the files properly and got to the REAL install app.
I copied this install folder to ALL my other computers and they were all able to work properly, so it's definitely something wrong with the initial "UNPACKING" of the install files, not the install files themselves.
*UGH* -- That was gross. I'm not sure why or what the problem really was? (It still doesn't install from the adobe site, I just have to use my one 'golden folder of extracted files' from now on I guess, till they upgrade the Flashbuilder version?)
I have encoutered the same problem, and by no means can I sucessfully extract the FlashBuilder_4_5_LS10.exe. Do you still remember on which platform you successfully extracted it? Maybe I can have a try on that platform. Thanks!
It definitely could be a permissions problem. For Windows Vista and 7, did you turn off UAC before starting the installation? For Windows XP, you should try running the installer "as an administrator" by using the shift+right-click method.
BloodmoonDHC, are you still facing this problem?
I am new to FB but not to PCs. Having the same extract problem. Tried it as Admin on my XP machine which has plenty of space, same result. It gets quite a ways into creating the target files for the unpacking part and then fails. It leaves behind a skeleton directory containing lots of empty files and folders (all size 0).
I tried running it from the Desktop, from /TEMP. Also found another post referring to running it from a command line with the /d (desitination) option and specifying a specific target extract folder. Nothing has worked so far.
Kind of hard to try the product when you can't get it to unpack.
So this thing has been broken for 9 months and it hasn't been addressed yet!
Just saw an ad for 4.7 beta. Was thinking about trying to unpack 4.5, but now that seems like it would be really old if 4.7 is almost done.
Update, I finally got 4.6 to extract and load. You won't believe this. Originally, I was using Firefox to download. For gigles, I tried downloading the Fb 4.6 file with IE. Ran that, it extracted and installed fine. I couldn't believe Firefox would be corrupting the downloads, so I did a file compare of the Firefox downloaded install file against the IE one. They are exactly the same, byte for byte. This intrigued me, because that would only leave differences to be found in the NTFS file entries with attributes and such. I later found if I renamed the Firefox downloaded file, just append something to it before the EXE suffix, it too would extract and install fine.
Thats all I know. No friggn clue why that would make it work.