Skip navigation
Herb 19
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4.1RC2 no export color fringe correction to CS5 Camera Raw 6.7RC

Apr 27, 2012 2:30 AM

The new colorfringe correction method in Lightroom 4.1 RC2 works fine even for difficult longitudinal CA when used with care. After basic adjustments I normally export my raw file to CS5 for further editing.

However found out that even after the Camera Raw update to 6.7 RC my Lightroom colorfringe adjustments were not transfered to CS5.

I sincerely hope this is not true: but do we require to buy CS6 with Camera Raw 7 to open the raw image with Lightroom corrections for colorfringes maintained?

Herb Sennet

The Netherlands

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to Herb 19

I assume that ACR 6.7RC isn't compatible with this new feature - seems a pretty safe assumption given that LR 4.1 RC2 only just came out, whereas ACR 6.7RC has been out for a couple of months or so by now. I would expect that the full release of ACR 6.7 will address this issue.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 3:20 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Sounds about right Mollysnoot.

Herb 19, you can render the image in Lightroom with all the settings, as you will need to do unless you ultimately upgrade to CS6 / ACR7.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to hamish niven

I was just thinking, presumably the current CS6 beta won't support this new LR feature either: ACR 7 will need an update. I'm not running the CS6 beta, so can't check, but I bet that will be the case. Hopefully this will also be corrected before CS6 starts shipping in a few weeks.

I guess it can't be helped, but there sure have been a few inconsistencies between LR and ACR lately! Let's hope they get things properly aligned in the next month or so. I also hope they get LR 4.1 out as a final release soon, but I suppose it will be a little while yet given RC2 only just came out.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to Herb 19

Bear in mind we're talking LR Release Candidate and ACR Release Candidate, so there may be some rough edges.

I haven't installed ACR6.7 RC, but originally people were saying that with 6.7RC, as with 6.6, "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS5" resulted in the warning message "This version of Lightroom..." and giving choices "Render using Lightroom" or "Open Anyway".  Doesn't it do that?  Even if you go to Lightroom, Edit menu, Preferences, General tab and hit "Reset all warning dialogs"? 

If it does, choose "Render using Lightroom" to get round the incompatibility.

If not, as a work-around until they've fixed ACR 6.7, go to Edit, Preferences, External editing, and create a new Additional Editor preset for CS5 (it's not very user-friendly - you need to click "Choose" and navigate to CS5; this creates a new preset).  Doing that will force it to give you the choice "Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments".  Not ideal, but a work-around that doesn't involve any extra steps once you've created the new edit preset. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Herb 19

Now that's interesting. Render using LR should work perfectly, as all the processing is done internally in Lightroom (resulting in a TIFF, or whatever format you've opted for) before the image is passed over to PS. If it's ignoring the new colour fringe correction, then personally I would suspect that's a bug with RC2, and if it is a bug, I'm surprised it got missed before the RC was released.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Herb 19

Of course ACR 6.7 RC1 doesn’t know about new capabilities only now put into LR4.1 RC2, and Adobe feels no obligation to synchronize releases across RC (beta) versions of their products. 

You can imagine that Adobe’s priority may be getting such functionality put into ACR 7.1 that people can upgrade to once they receive PS-CS6 in a few weeks—assuming ACR 7.0’s functionality would have been frozen before a new untested capability was added, and so ACR 7.1 would be an immediate update once CS6 is out.

In any case, Adobe has put the new defringing capability into LR 4.1 RC2 so we can give them feedback in case there is something not quite right with it, or it needs tuned before ending up in ACR 7.1 and ACR 6.7 release versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

I think he’s saying that LR4.1 RC2 cannot be told to, or does not if told to, render as a PSD or TIF before exporting to PS, and PS is always calling the older ACR 6.7 RC w/o the new capability.   Perhaps the LR warnings need to be reset in LR preferences, if you’ve said “don’t ask again” at some point, and it’s remembering your choice from then.

There’s always the workaround of defining a copy Photoshop as a 3rd-party editor, perhaps by creating a copy of Photoshop.exe named something else, like PhotoshopX.exe, because a 3rd-party editor always gets a LR-rendered file as input.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

I think he’s saying that LR4.1 RC2 cannot be told to, or does not if told to, render as a PSD or TIF before exporting to PS, and PS is always calling the older ACR 6.7 RC w/o the new capability.   Perhaps the LR warnings need to be reset in LR preferences, if you’ve said “don’t ask again” at some point, and it’s remembering your choice from then.

Maybe, but he did say "I had this pop up and choose render using Lightroom. Made no difference.", so I don't think that's the issue.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Herb 19

Oh OK, so you didn't choose the 'render with LR' option that I just quoted you saying you had chosen then!   That would explain things, as suspected by ssprengel.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to Herb 19

Herb 19 wrote:

However found out that even after the Camera Raw update to 6.7 RC my Lightroom colorfringe adjustments were not transfered to CS5.

Herb Sennet

The Netherlands

I just confirmed for myself that the defringe adjustments do not transfer to Photoshop when you tansfer via an "Edit in Photoshop."

Hopefully this is very temporary (until we get ACR 6.8 for CS5), since I regularly bring raws into PS via the "Edit in" route.  I find this is useful to see if further improvements are possible.  A good percentage of the time the answer is no, in which case  I leave the image as a space-saving 16-bit raw, rather than a  bulky 16-bit tiff. 

As things stand now, I''l have to first render my images as Tiffs in LR, then erase those that don't benefit from PS processing.  Yuck.

That defringe is a really nice tool, though!    

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to JerryGerber

At present the problem ist that LR 4.1 RCx and ACR 6.7 RC are not really fully compatible (see above and other threads), *BUT* LR considers ACR 6.7 RC as *compatible*. Because of that, the ACR compatibilty warning dialog never appears so "render using lightroom" is not selectable.

I posted a workaround in another thread to overcome that if you can't or don't want to revert back to ACR 6.6 (Windows only, Mac I don't know): Make a copy of the photoshop executable and create an external editing preset for it. LR will then treat Photoshop just like any other editor and will render the TIFF/PSD itself (and correctly).

It is important to make a copy of the photoshop.exe: If you create the editing preset using the original photoshop.exe, it will behave just like the main "edit in photoshop" (built-in) "preset" and will always use Photoshop's ACR.

Edit: Of course, an export preset is an alternative, too.

P.S. I assume that the same problem (with respect to defringing) and the same workaround apply to the combination LR 4.1 RC2 + PS CS6 (= ACR 7.0).

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to Herb 19

It would be much easier if LR4 RC2 just treated PSCS5 as not compatible and gave the warning with the option of rendering to a tiff or ignoring the incompatability (which is fine for images where the defringing isn't used).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points