Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What technique best for this portrait? Remove blue rim light & oragne skin tone.

Apr 27, 2012 1:39 AM

Hi.

I'n no good at all this CS5 business!

I've removed the white background from the original image as it was a January day and net curtains, it left a horrible blue cast around all the family shots. I used the Quick Select Tool and the eraser tool - maybe I was in error?

1) How do I remove this blue rim light please?

Also, this girl appears in group shots and is far too oragne when everyone else is milky white - not sure what she thought she was doing having a Tango spray job!

I applied something already which added some blue to her skin ..... now her teeth have gone cool too so I need to back-track and start on the oragne removal from scratch.

2) Thus far I've re-opened the finished image into Bridge as it has a specific Orange channel in there, but what trick am I missing whilst the image in open on Photoshop please?

Many thanks Photoshop gurus!

TimBLUE HEAD.jpg

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,938 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 3:44 AM   in reply to pat agonia

Hi Tim

You were right to start with Quick Select, but rather than follow with the erazor, use Refine edge (from the Options bar when any selection tool is selected).  When you have worked through the sliders to get it as good as you can, use the Decontaminate edge which should remove the blue cast.

If that fails to completely clean up the edge, use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, and click on the scrubby slider at the top left corner of the panel.  Then click on the image where the colour is worst, and drag left to unsaturate it.  You can expand the colour range affected by dragging the sliders out at the bottom of the Hue/Sat panel.

If the above causes problems elsewhere in the image, invert the layer mask to fill it with black, and use a white paint brush to paint over the problem areas.

Now open a second Hue/Saturation layer, and repeat the process with the Orange skin.  If you are careful, you can do it with a single Hue/Sat layer, but keep it simple, and use two.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to pat agonia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to pat agonia

Here's a few minutes rough color correction. I adjusted the red channel using Hue/Saturation and also with Selective color. For the blue edge, after I turned the white into transparent with mask edge, I locked the transparency of the layer and simply painted roughly over the edge with a brush with color blending mode picking color from the nearby hair.

ColorCorrection.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to pat agonia

pat agonia wrote:

…Adobe seems to have locked me out of the forum…

???  You are posting in the forum. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points