Skip navigation
peterathands
Currently Being Moderated

Match product key with appropriate installed machine

Apr 26, 2012 2:50 AM

Tags: #cs5 #product-key #volume-license

Since it's is damn near impossible to contact the Adobe Support, and when you can contact them on some apparently secret phonenumber, they prove themselves utterly, utterly useless, I might as well ask my question here.

Online, I can see our license keys. We have 2 single-machine-keys and 1 volume license for 10 machines (for the Design Premium). How can I tell the difference between those two types of keys?

My second and more important question, is how I can match the different installed machines to the license-keys we have?

We really need to know this for a reinstall of a repaired computer and to chart our machines and their matching license-keys.

Any help from the community would be much appreciated, it's a real shame that software that costs thousands of euros offers no support whatsoever.

I didn't know in which subforum to post this, it's obviously not just for dreamweaver, but for CS5 Design Premium and CS5 Web Premium.

Kind regards,

Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to peterathands

How can I tell the difference between those two types of keys?

I don't understand the question.  The difference between the licenses is how you paid for them.  They do not affect the operation of the software in any way.

how I can match the different installed machines to the license-keys we have?

You need asset management software here to track your network.  Detect all computers, servers, switches, software and serial numbers.  Such software exists, although not made by Adobe.

http://www.lansurveyor.com/

http://www.clearapps.com/

http://www.lansweeper.com/

If you are managing the IT you should be using this type of software to continuously scan your network not just for Adobe applications, but for MS Software, and anything else you install or your users install, on their computer.  Outside of tracking assets internally, I don't believe there is anything Adobe can do for you to detect software installations outside of them de-activating all instances which would cause more headaches.  For this time it might be best just to send an email to 11 people for the serial numbers they have.  If 2 people have the individual licenses, then you know to put the volume one on this last computer.  If not, then you can determine from that info which one you are missing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 27, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to peterathands

What is the delivery method for your license? If you chose that Adobe ships the box to you, you could refer the contents of the box. The Serial Numbers will be available in it.

If you chose Electronic Delivery where Adobe gives you access to their LWS (https://licensing.adobe.com), you can login with the registered e-mail address and you can look up all your license information there along with the serial keys associated with them.

Trust this helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 27, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Also, you could try using BelArc Advisor to keep track of your software assets and installations. BelArc also has a Serial Tracker that will tell you which SN your installation of softwares are using.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 27, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to peterathands

There are other manual ways to find out your SN - these include Library plists on Mac and Registry Editor on Windows. But they're not recommended as any misconfiguration in them may lead to your software failing to start. BelArc is tried and tested and they're really good.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points