Skip navigation
giraffemallow0
Currently Being Moderated

How to save animated text as a .gif?

Apr 26, 2012 7:02 PM

I just got After Effects CS4 today and managed to create a basic text animation. I've been trying to save it as a GIF, but I can't quite figure out how. I tried the export options, which were Adobe Clip Notes, Flash Player, Flash Professional, and Premiere Pro Project. I'm completely lost; could someone explain how to save it as a gif file?

Thank you so much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to giraffemallow0

Don't use Export, use the Render Queue.  There should be an Animated GIF Output Module, if all the default modules are in place.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:08 PM   in reply to Andrew Yoole

See this for an overview of rendering and exporting, to give context to Andrew's answer:

"Rendering and exporting overview"

|
    Mark as:
  • A.I.1
    36 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Apr 27, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to giraffemallow0

I wish this option hadn't been removed in CS5/CS5.5.  Has it been put back in CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to A.I.1

No.

We relied on QuickTime for Animated GIF export, and Apple has yet to provide a 64-bit QuickTime system for us to use to provide many such features. When we moved to 64-bit, we lost a few of these minor QuickTime features.

But the After Effects export to Animated GIF was never any good compared to the very good Animated GIF export from Photoshop. Even when we had the feature in After Effects, we recommended that people use Photoshop for this instead.

|
    Mark as:
  • A.I.1
    36 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    Apr 28, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

No.

We relied on QuickTime for Animated GIF export, and Apple has yet to provide a 64-bit QuickTime system for us to use to provide many such features. When we moved to 64-bit, we lost a few of these minor QuickTime features.

But the After Effects export to Animated GIF was never any good compared to the very good Animated GIF export from Photoshop. Even when we had the feature in After Effects, we recommended that people use Photoshop for this instead.

Isn't Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5 64 bit?  Since there's an option for animated GIF creation in that, so can't 64 bit After Effects call the GIF creation function that is in Adobe Media Encoder, perhaps with extra options too?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points