Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

platform.twitter.com can't verify identy popups

Apr 27, 2012 9:33 AM

i keep getting these popups here on two machines for several days now (both running osx 10.4.11)

am i the only one?

Picture 3.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to gator soup

No, you're not the only one.  I got them too, in Firefox and in Safari.

After looking at Show Certificate > Details, I learned that they were fake, and therefore, probably malicious.  I finally got rid of them by looking at the cookies in each browser and nuking anything with "twit" in them.  Haven't seen the pop-ups again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to gator soup

Not seeing it here on any browser (and I've been using Safari, Firefox and Chrome in the past few days).

My guess is that you picked up a malicisous script on another site.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

…My guess is that you picked up a malicisous script on another site.

Perhaps; but, once those cookies were installed, the pop-up was only coming up when reading an Adobe forum thread.  So the Adobe forums were being specifically targeted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to gator soup

You're right.  It;s back and the cookies are not there any more:

Picture 17.png

Picture 18.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to station_one

I can't find anything in the Adobe forum site that references twitter at all.  And other people aren't seeing that error.

That's odd.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to gator soup

I'm having the same issue.  It started after I signed up for a Pinterest account.  Coincidence???  What can I do to get rid of the pop up.  It came up even though I have block pop-ups on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to gator soup

gator soup,

Knocking on wood…

I think I have managed to stop it in its tracks:

Next time you see that annoying pop-up in Safari, click on "Show Certificate" and navigate the second drop-down to the setting that says When Using this Certificate > set it to "Never Trust".

I haven't seen it since.

Knock on wood.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to station_one

Almost two and a half hours later, and it's gone!

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to gator soup

So far, I've seen no ill effects whatsoever from using that setting, and the darned pop-up is gone!

Thanks for the screen shot!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 2, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to gator soup

Not happening here in Windows with IE or Safari, and I entered the URL just as gator soup entered it at the top of this thread.

I guess it's just a good thing Windows systems can't get malware. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to gator soup

Apparently it has something to do with a currently unsupported URL used by the dreaded Akamai.

https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/3938

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to station_one

According to "Ian Chan" on that link,

"platform.twitter.com is where we host widgets for other websites. if you are visiting a website that has a tweet button or follow button, you will fetch resources from that url. there shouldn't be any certificate errors though"

In fact, since there is a little bird icon on the page, Adobe's implementation of this forum package is indirectly requesting "widgets" to run on our systems from platform.twitter.com.

SocialNetworkingCrap.jpg

They actually load quite a bit of stuff from other sites...

OtherSites.jpg

Adobe needs to disconnect themselves from this social networking horse manure

I came to Adobe.com to interact as a professional in professional forums, and Twitter has NOTHING to do with that.

Thanks for bringing this subject up, guys.  It alerted me to these additions to the forum pages, and allowed me to restrict a number of sites from running scripts on my system, which has the effect of speeding up the forum a little.  But I really shouldn't have to be going through my network traces trying to ferret out sites I don't want Adobe causing to deliver junkware into my computer and adding them to my Restricted Sites list.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 3, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to gator soup

As I pointed out, it's because Adobe has used Twitter's little bird icon on the page.  It's not just a graphic; it pulls in software (Javascript) from Twitter's web site.

You're on a Mac, right?  It may be that whatever process updates the list of root certification authorities on your system needs running.  I don't know how you do that on a Mac - Windows Update takes care of it on the PC.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but having instructed Internet Explorer not to trust any of those social networking sites (and thus not to allow their scripts to even try to run), I think pages here are coming up a little faster. 

LessOnPage.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Perhaps the nastiest contributor to this mess in the Adobe forums is a thing called "addthis.com".  They are the culprit in this twitter fiasco.

http://www.addthis.com/privacy?utm_source=mf&utm_medium=link&utm_conte nt=AT_privacy_MF15PC&utm_campaign=AT_privacy#.T6Nya0ahyG8

From their site:

We don't install any tracking software on your computer.

The only time AddThis has access to any browsing data is when you visit a website that uses AddThis.

They have an "opt-out" procedure that I'm not willing to trust, as it works by putting yet another cookie on your computer:

http://www.addthis.com/privacy/opt-out#.T6NzpkahyG8

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Adobe needs to disconnect themselves from this social networking horse manure

I came to Adobe.com to interact as a professional in professional forums, and Twitter has NOTHING to do with that.

YES!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 4, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to station_one

station_one wrote:

They have an "opt-out" procedure that I'm not willing to trust, as it works by putting yet another cookie on your computer

I'm not a Mac expert, but is there no method for blocking or restricting the activity of specific domains? 

On my Windows system just adding the addthis.com domain to my Restricted Sites list caused it not to be allowed to run any scripts, so that cuts them off at the door - no need to trust them for anything.  Seems like there must be a way to do something similar on a Mac.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to gator soup

Update:

Last night I installed the "Ghostery" add-on in Firefox.  Right off the bat, it found six different sites running scripts off of every Adobe forum page—so I've blocked them:

Blocked-in-Ff-by-Ghostery_crop.jpg

Additionally, I installed the "BetterPrivacy" add-on which blocks and removes Flash-based cookies.  Life just got a tiny notch better. 

Firefox add-ons alone would be sufficient reason for me to abandon Slowfari.    On the other hand, Slowfari is real good about tattle-telling on things like this scripts I don't know much about.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to station_one

In the process, I learned that "Omniture" is a corporation wholly owned by Adobe.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniture#Criticism

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points