Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

bug - dialog boxes extremely dark

Apr 26, 2012 8:34 PM

Tags: #macbook #osx_lion #bug_report #photoshop_cs6_beta

Hi. the dialog boxes I call up are often extremely dark and either stay that way or take a moment to convert to the normal view. I am working on an external monitor hooked up to my mac bookpro. Running lion. There is no particular action I take to induce this responce. It happens 75% of the time and with no descernable pattern. thanks aloha, UScreen Shot 2012-04-26 at 3.08.47 PM.png

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to uhanepono

Hello! you do seem to run into many different issues, including some that most other users don't encounter.

You already posted your system info in another thread, I think.

What other programs are running? What is not standard in your MBP. Is it the case when you use only one screen?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Here a link to a post with his system info: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4364727#4364727

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to uhanepono

Looks like a driver bug or due to something trying to modify system drawing behavior.

I'd guess a haxie or some sort of ColorSync problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to uhanepono

Is it just me or are the buttons a different shape than what's seen on a bone stock Macintosh?

ButtonShapeDifference.jpg

Whatever ("haxie"?) you've installed that's altered your desktop "theme" to square up those buttons is what's probably wrong with it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 28, 2012 12:51 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, that's the new standardized UI on Mac and PCs.

uhanepono, MBP stand for Mac Book Pro.

Let's follow the discussion in the thread I linked higher.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 28, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

You're saying Adobe has made the buttons more square on Macs now?

Not sure what you're talking about, because I'm not seeing anything all that similar (ignoring the brightness) between either of the images I posted above and what I see from Photoshop CS6 on Windows 7....

NotStandard.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to uhanepono

>> from the OP >> "my mac bookpro. Running lion."

I almost wonder if he installed the WIndows version by mistake and is running under Wine or something....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to uhanepono

Where are you changing the appearance of the buttons and UI elements?

That is not a Photoshop preference, nor a normal MacOS preference.

The darkness is probably a side effect of whatever you are using to modify your UI appearance.

Other people are not seeing that darkness, but they also aren't seeing Windows like UI controls on MacOS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, you will agree that the first and third are more alike than the second and third, no?

uhanepono, please post a screen capture of your Mac Preferences panel. If you used a third party program to darken the UI, that's a haxie, and that is a third party program that might interfere with Photoshop, hence maybe the countless problems you run into.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Yes, they're more alike in shape, but the weight of the font is different and the shading of the checkbox is different.  It was your use of terms "THE new..." that threw me off.  It made me think maybe Photoshop CS6 had done something to try to make the buttons seem more similar to PC, which wouldn't make much sense to do.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Well, almost everything in the main UI has been refined, for instance, all sliders are now the same, except when needed (blend-if sliders, etc.) The font might be different, but there has been a lot of changes, as you sure have noticed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Yeah, I'm confused as well - the font is MacOS, but the button shapes are almost, but not quite, Windows.

Something is way off on his system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I think Noel may have taken that screenshot from an older version of OS X. Aside from the darkening issue, Lion's UI looks consistant to Uhanepono's screenshot. Mine is below.

In terms of the issue, here are a few things to try:

In System Preferences, select Displays > Color > then choose sRGB for the Display Profile.

If that doesn't help, back in System Preferences, select Universal Access > Seeing > and make sure VoiceOver is Off and Display is set to Black on White with Normal contrast.

Are you seeing dark dialogue boxes on other applications, or just Photoshop? If it's occuring outside of Photoshop, you may have an issue with the graphics card itself. I would first try an Erase and Install (backup your data first), then have Apple take a look at the computer. Based on your other posts, it seems like you are experiencing more issues than the average beta tester. Something deeper is occuring here.

RefineEdgeLion.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Howard Pinsky

Thank you Howard.  I guess that's what Pierre was trying to say...  What you're showing is the look of the latest OSX (what's that, Lion)?  I have to say, I do like the somewhat more square look better.

I don't have a Mac system of my own to check things with.  I'm just trying to facilitate the discussion toward a resolution.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to uhanepono

Other people are not seeing the drawing artifacts that you are seeing.

There is still something odd/wrong on your system that causes that - but we don't know what that might be.

We need you to tell us what is on your system that causes dialogs/UI elements to be drawn differently from everyone else's system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to uhanepono

What do you mean by the personal choice? is it the graphite theme? Please, please share the modifications that you did, so that we can try to help you!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to uhanepono

A REAL shot in the dark, but have you tried turning off the [  ] Automatically adjust brightness setting?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I was just thinking the same thing Noel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points