Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"this will make the file too large" warning

Apr 24, 2012 8:28 PM

Tags: #bug #beta

Using Beta, and opened file that was created in cs5 PS that included Comps, maybe 4 of them.  There are many layers, but the file is only at 72 for web.

I wasn't able to click on the different comps in the comp panel.  Each time the Beta just popped a warning message saying "this will make the file too large".

Anyone know if this is a purposeful Beta restriction of some sort, feature change I'm not aware of, or a bug?  Opened back up in cs5 PS and no problem.

Working in same file later in PS 6 without touching the Comps and it crashed to desktop.  No reason given.  No other trouble noticed.

Using Windows 7 sp1 64bit.  Running an Nvidia Quadro 4000.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to LMn0P

It sounds like you're running low on hard drive space.

There aren't any file size restrictions implemented in the beta version of PS CS6, so something else is causing these messages to pop up.

Can you please include your system info from Photoshop's Help > System Info dialog?

Also, if you got crash logs, please send them off to Adobe if you get the option, or if not, please post the crash dumps here in the forums for us to look at!

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to LMn0P

There are many layers, but the file is only at 72 for web.

That does not tell you much... 72 ppi is just half of an equation.

(plus the web does not look at ppi, it could be 720 for all that it matters)

What are the pixel dimensions of your document?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to LMn0P

Hmm, something in those comps makes Photoshop think that it would create a document greater than 300,000 pixels in one dimension.

Weird.

Could you send Pete a copy of that document?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to LMn0P

Thanks - but if Pete has a copy, it'll get routed the the right engineers (which isn't *always* me).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to LMn0P

Yep!

Thanks FTML, I've received your file, and passed it on to a few of the engineers who are looking at the file.

Will update here if there's any news

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to LMn0P

Hi,

I still don't undertand the root cause, but hopefully have a workaround for you. In appears something that is save in the Layer Comp 'Position' option is causing the warning. In your sampe file I don't see where you might be taking advantage of that option.

I opened the sample file in Ps CS5 and turned off that option for each comp, saved out a copy, and opened the result in Ps CS6 (Mac 10.6.8). Now I can cycle thru the Layer Comps without getting any warnings.

Have you been seeing this warning on multiple files or just the sample provided?

Hope this helps,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to LMn0P

Hi,

Thanks for all the extra data points. I have logged a bug report so this can be investigated further by developers. I tried looking at the pixel data that's off the canvas and didn't see anything obvious either. We'll need to debug with your sample file to get a better understanding of what's happening.

I'll send you a private message so we can exchange contact info.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)