Skip navigation
mtmanmo
Currently Being Moderated

Need help getting access with RC2 of LR4 to a catalog that was processed with RC1

Apr 27, 2012 9:58 AM

I have been successfully using RC1 on my home desktop Mac Pro to process images from my new 5D3, but hadn't upgraded to RC2.  Now, I'm on the road getting ready to start a 4 day photo workshop using a MacBook Pro and the same portable drive with all my photo stuff that had been attached to the desktop at home.  Sadly, I wasn't smart enough to apply the same LR4 DVD that I had used on my desktop and upgrade to RC1 when that was still available.

So, here in the hotel, I loaded an eval LR4 and then installed RC2 (since it appears that RC1 is not accesible any more).  Now, however, LR4 won't open the LR4 catalog that I had processed with RC1. 

Suggestions, anyone?

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to mtmanmo

That would be a surprise, if true, because my LR4.1 RC2 opened the LR4.1 RC1 catalog on my computer.

Did you try File->Open Catalog? If so, what happened (and what error message did you get, if any)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to mtmanmo

Make sure you have permission/write access to the directory where you put your catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to mtmanmo

delete preferences, try again

next idea ... in your operating system, find the catalog file from LR4.1 RC1, and double-click on the catalog file

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to mtmanmo

mtmanmo wrote:

Thanks.  When I attempt to access the preferences menu item nothing happens.

I don't understand your use of the word "access". My advice was to delete the preferences, not "access" the preferences.

Also try double-clicking on the catalog file itself instead of the Lightroom icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to mtmanmo

You find the location of the preferences file, then in your operating system you navigate to that location and "delete" the file (probably instead of deleting it, you should just move it somewhere else and LR will create a new one; this way you can move it back if it doesn't work)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to mtmanmo

I really can't tell you where the preference file is on a MAC, as I don't use Macs.

Here is link to the location for LR3, it might be the same as LR4, I just don't know. The file itself is named com.adobe.Lightroom3.plist

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lighroom -3.html#main_File_locations_in_Mac_OS_X_

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Paige, because we were repeating ourselves so often, I ended up doing a write-up on "Resetting the Preferences" for the Tips and Tricks section over at the Lightroom Forums. You can see it here:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14226-Resetting-%28or-Tr ashing-%29-the-Lightroom-Preferences-file

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Well, Jim, that will come in handy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I hope so....there are a few other new articles in there as well which you also may find useful.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points