Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best way to download YouTube video?

Apr 24, 2012 6:51 PM

So, I read this article from MacWorld, and followed its advice. I downloaded this DownLoad Helper thing on my comp (Mac OS 10.6.8, browser Firefox 11):

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164336/how_to_download_youtube_videos _using_safari_or_firefox.html

Now, from YouTube.com, I can download as .webm file format, and as .flv, neither of which can I import into Premier Elements 10. I think I need .mov or .mpeg

But converting video file formats is tricky because it asks me this:

What does this mean? I tried to follow instructions and "Configure conversion" but I keep running in circles and coming back to this pop-up box.

What is happening? Is it possible to download video sfrom YouTube in a format that can be imported into Premier Elements 10?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to Hoboken2012

If you load Mozilla Firefox as your browser, you can add any number of add-ons that will allow you to download from YouTube in any number of formats. (I use one called Easy YouTube Downloader.) These add-ons are available on the Mozilla site.

The MP4s you get aren't the ideal format for Premiere Elements -- but I've gotten decent results on short pieces. I sure wouldn't recommend downloading entire TV programs and editing them in Premiere Elements! (That's not what either program is designed to do anyway.) But it will work on a well-tuned system.

Meantime, whatever software you do find, I urge you to respect the copyright of the source material. Just because you can swipe copyrighted material from the web doesn't mean you should, after all!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Hoboken2012

WMVs (Windows Media) are considered the universal web page video file since almost any computer can play them. But iPads usually can't play them. Like FLVs (Flash) make a great web format, if you embed a Flash player in your web page. But guess what: Apple is boycotting Flash in the hopes of killing it. Most iPods, iPads and iPhones are able to play it pretty much on YouTube and Facebook but nowhere else.

iPads will play MOVs and so will most computers, if Windows users download the player. But it doesn't come on Windows.

Best bet for the web is probably an MP4 set up to iPod specs (Share/Portable Devices/iPod Medium Quality). But for best results make sure you've created to the exact size of the space on your web page you're planning to fill.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to Hoboken2012

Are you talking about the video you're editing or the video you're outputting?

The video you're outputting depends on the layout of your web page and how big a space you're trying to fill. (360x240 is usually a typical size for a web-based WMV.)

The video you're editing (hence your project specs) depends on the resolution of your source video. That's easy to figure out if you're working with standard video from a camcorder. A bit harder with video you're downloading from YouTube.

You can try opening the video in a program like G Spot or Media Info and seeing what they list as the video specs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Hoboken2012

If you're going to be editing video from smart phones, then Premiere Elements is probably not the best tool for the job.

I'd look into a program called Quicktime Pro, a $29 download from Apple.

It's not nearly the editor Premiere Elements is -- but at least you won't go crazy trying to get it to behave with these MP4s. In fact, they should load right into it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Hoboken2012

All I can do is make my recommendation, Hoboken. It may work for you. In my experience, though, you're more likely to find yourself with more trouble than it's worth.

So my next recommendation would be to try a few samples of video from your various sources and see what your results are before you commit to a major project. Take these files all the way through to output. Mix them. Apply effects. Give it all a good test drive.

If it works, you're good to go. If not, we're probably not going to be able to make it so.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:56 PM   in reply to Hoboken2012

Hello. I think you can get help from a youtube video recorder. Considering from all aspects, it works well in youtube video downloading and converting tasks. This tool can convert videos to various formats, so you can import them to Premier Elements easily.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points