Skip navigation
renized
Currently Being Moderated

Export 16 bit TIFF from Premiere - CS5.5

Apr 27, 2012 12:04 PM

I need to take stills from video for print. The export still (camera icon) allows only format options like TIFF JPG - how do I set it to export 16 bit stills.

Any suggestions? Also curious what formats and settings do users on this forum use for such scenarios. Thanks. Dez

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to renized

Not sure what you mean by 16-bit stills...your video in Premiere is 8-bit, or 10 at best. Just export and print, not sure what else you are looking for??

Once exported, you may want or need to do some resizing in Photoshop for best results. For instance, if using HDV or other anamorphic video, the still export (1440x1080) will look like 4:3 in print, so in Photoshop, change size to 1920x1080, and then also use the CROP function to crop to print size (4x6, 5x7, etc.) so that the print is exactly correct when printed without stretching or cutting off any other parts, since 16:9 does not translate to standard print sizes.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to renized

I just opened a 1080i sequence in Premiere, exported a still, opened it in Photoshop and it is a 16-bit RGB image. I don't know what else you are looking for?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

All of my image exports (from 8 bit media) come out as 8 bit as well.  But then, this what I'd expect.

You can always change the Mode in Photoshop to 16 bit, but you won't really be adding quality by doing so.  For that, you need a 16 bit original, which just isn't possible with any standard video format that I know of.  At best you might get 12 bit from a digital cinema camera, and only 10 bit from high end video video cameras.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

My test export simply used the DEFAULT setting of DPX. Just tried other formats and they are coming up as 8 bit, so maybe DPX is the only one that is 16 bit, but like Jim and I mentioned, most video is 8 bit anyway, maybe 10 bit ($$). Also, video is LOW RES compared to print. You mention printing a poster, and the most you'll have to work with natively from video is probably 1920x1080 unless using a 2k camera or something...

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

Confirmed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:54 PM   in reply to renized

DPX.  From there you can open in PS and change to whatever format you prefer.  But DPX will get you into PS at 16 bit.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points