Skip navigation
slschlager
Currently Being Moderated

Images when uploaded to the web the colors shift

Apr 27, 2012 2:30 AM

I have been having a problem lately with my images displaying funky when they are uploaded to the web. The images become over saturated. The color space is sRGB so I am not sure what is going on. I never have had this problem till this year. I use lightroom, then export the image and finish editing the image in photoshop. When I export from Lightroom I pick srgb color space.

22.JPGCapture1.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to slschlager

Is the profile embedded?

What web application provides the offending display and is it color managed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

...also, be certain to convert to (not simply assign) sRGB.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

One could also recommend doing a Foum search – I think something similar has came up before … again and again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to slschlager

when setting up this example always best to include document profile info

click on the small triangle bullet> Show> Document Profile

DocPro.jpg

for Web publishing you want that to read sRGB (your source profile)

then the color shift you see between Photoshop (a color managed app) and IE Exploder (a non-color managed app) will be the difference between sRGB and your monitor profile

COLORS SHIFT ON WEB TUTORIAL

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to gator soup

Is it possible to have gamma settings for a particular program? It looks like you are using Chrome for your browser. Do you get the same effect on other browsers? This may have nothing to do with your issue, but I've noticed my print screen results shift colors when compared back to back with the original.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

Shan-Dysigns wrote:

I've noticed my print screen results shift colors when compared back to back with the original.

That's because the screenshot has monitor numbers, not document numbers.

Assign monitor profile, then convert to sRGB, and they will match.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to slschlager

What sort of monitor do you have? This looks like no color management on a wide gamut monitor.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to slschlager

I don't know if anyone's said it above, but IE9 only does HALF the job of color-management.  WHATEVER your monitor's characteristics and WHATEVER profile is assigned, IE9 will present RGB values to the display as though it is an sRGB monitor.  Period.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to slschlager

IE9 doesn't honour your monitor profile created with the Spyder. So, there is nothing you can do about it. Use Firefox 4 and above, or if earlier versions you have to turn the color management in the settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to twenty_one

D Fosse wrote:

This looks like no color management on a wide gamut monitor.

i think that is the answer

that and does IE9 convert tagged files to sRGB (not the monitor profile)?

WIDE GAMUT MONITOR TEST

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to gator soup

gator soup wrote:

WIDE GAMUT MONITOR TEST

I was reading that article and was about to write here that I disagree with the author but at the end in his disclaimer he corrects himself by saying that Windows doesn't assume sRGB or any other color space but sends the color values from the non-color managed programs directly to the monitor. So, in that respect the title of the article doesn't make much sense because this is a problem with any monitor regardless if wide or standard gamut. As long there is a custom monitor profile, there will be always a difference between color and non-color managed programs. But with wide gamut monitors that difference is just bigger but his test is valid for any monitor.

And this also means that with perfect color management there will be always a difference in color display between color and non-color managed programs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to emil emil

The only time all the various non-, half-, and fully-color-managed apps work fairly well together is when the monitor really does a close job of rendering sRGB and is described by the sRGB profile.  In that case, things actually can match a lot of the time.  Hence people tend to say Windows favors sRGB.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

People say so because by default the system assigns sRGB color space for the monitor profile. This in effect turns off the color management of the display in color managed programs when images are displayed with sRGB profiles. Then this makes the display of sRGB images in the color managed programs match the non-color managed programs. This also makes people wrongly believe that non-color managed programs are using the sRGB color space while in fact it is the color space of their monitors because non-color managed program have no clue about any color spaces. Monitors may differ a lot from each other while the sRGB color space like any other color space has very specific colors.

It is a very simple test, View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB. This turns the color management of the image display off. Does this match the sRGB images? The answer will be yes if the system is using sRGB color space profile for the monitor regardless of how good or bad the monitor calibration is.  If it does match and if the monitor profile was created with a calibrator then this is like hitting the jackpot which as far as I know no one has claimed so far. Yes, on theory it is possible but on practice  it doesn't happen easily and that was the main reason the color management was invented (physical devices like monitors can't  match device independent color spaces). Everyone with a custom monitor profile made using a calibrator will detect a difference between images displayed with Monitor RGB and sRGB on any kind of monitors - not only wide gamut but standard too. This means it is typical to see difference between color managed programs and non-color managed programs on properly calibrated monitors.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points