Skip navigation
This discussion is locked

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Aug 6, 2012 3:58 PM

Latest reply: Victoria Bampton, Dec 18, 2012 11:37 AM
Replies 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 43 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to gadgetgeek

Thanks.. I just installed it ..will try it tomorrow ...Man I was hoping for a lens profile correction for my Tokina 11-16  in version 4  : (-

But I did try one thing ...I toggled to CS5 and the tablet brushes and controls seem to work ok ... 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Madscape

The Tokina 11-16 is there. It doesnt get auto-applied though. You have to select Tokina in the dropdown of the lens corrections, and that lens is the first one in the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to jsakhtar

I created one for the Nikon version of this lens ages ago that's on the

lens profile downloader list that does get autoapplied for me at least

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

I should have said the Canon version.

My camera (60D) reports the lens as just 11-16, no other info.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to Madscape

"I was very content with LR3"

Then just set the process version in LR4 to PV2010 and voila, LR3 controls and performance in LR4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to gregkmeyer

My quick test shows a positive change in responsiveness for me, even over Lightroom 4.1 RC1. One thing that was really slow for me was switching back and forth between library and develop. I think this change may now even be faster than it was in Lightroom 3.

Adjusting the sliders is still not smooth for me. My CPU is spiking to nearly 100% moving the exposure and contrast sliders. The lag to display the changes is about 1 second behind the slider change. Change slider, wait 1 second, screen updates, change slider, wait 1 second, screen updates. Small adjustment changes like this are still taking a while on my machine.

Screen shot while adjusting the exposure slider (shows almost 1.7GB used memory and 95% of a dual-core Intel Core2 Extreme processor).

Thanks for paying attention to these forums and making the changes! Hopefully we can smooth out the issues and make Lightroom 4 the killer app it should be. J

Geoff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to gregkmeyer

I just noticed that zooming in and out is slower than RC1. For me, that means the 3D settings on my video card are incorrect. Because Lightroom RC2 loads in a new folder, the settings on my nVIDIA graphics card are reset back to default. With those settings I have all sorts of trouble in Lightroom. I setup the same application settings I was using for Lightroom 3 and RC1, and now my sliders are working great, and zooming in and out is quick.

I am using a laptop with an embedded NVidia Quadro FX 2700M video card.

I had a previous post about what 3D settings I use, but will repeat them here in case anyone else wants to try. Those with the * are the ones that I have changed in the application profile for Lightroom:

• Anisotropic Filtering:  Off

• Antialiasing – Gamma Correction:  Off

• Antialiasing – Mode: Override any application setting

• Antialiasing – Setting:  2x (2xMS)

• Antialiasing – Transparency:  Off

• Buffer-flipping mode: Use block transfer

CUDA – GPUs: Use global setting (All)

• Enable overlay:  Off

Exported pixel types: Use global setting (Color indexed overlay)

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use global setting (3)

• Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Compatibility performance mode

• OpenGL rendering GPU:  Quadro FX 2700M

• Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Stereo – Display mode: Use global setting (Custom)

Stereo – Enable: Use global setting (off)

Stereo – Swap Eyes: Use global setting (Off)

Threaded optimization: Use global setting (Auto)

• Triple buffering: Off

Texture filtering – Anisotropic filter optimi: Off

Texture Filtering – Anisotropic sample opti: Off

Texture filtering – Negative LOD bias: Allow

• Vertical sync: Force On

I hope this helps!

Geoff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to gadgetgeek

So I downloaded the recent update and LR4.1 RC2 seems to be working well now... I was having trouble getting ACR6.7 on my machine but here is what I finally did to get it to load ..

First I downloaded the DNG converter that is available on the same page that the ACR 6.7 is available. I was able to simply " RUN " the file and didnt have to download it to my desktop and open it ...

Next I downloaded " SAVE"  ( the only way it would work ) the ACR 6.7 file to my desktop ..

then I followed these instructions from another Member :

Open CS5

Open the adobe patch instaler and follow the instructions

at one point you are prompted to close CS5 to continue the install.

It installed and now when I toggle from LR4 to CS5   ( Control / E ) I go straight to Photoshop and all my tools work well.   I'm not sure if I'll run into any glitches , but as for right now I am thrilled at Adobe's quick solution offering . The DNG converter stated that it would expire at the end of next month. Hopefully I'll be prompted when that occurs for a permanent download ...  Good luck and thanks to everyone for their input ...Enjoy,  Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to gadgetgeek

Upgraded to RC2, overall seems much better performance than RC1. It is still slightly slower than 3.6 but getting better. I'm having no problems with zooming in and out, module changing or memory. I have an i7 machine,SSD drives and 12 gigabytes of RAM with external eSATA drive array and a Nvidia GTX470 video card. One thing that I did notice was the change in the CA removal and Defring sliders, Adobe must have been listening to everyone's complaint about CA sliders because the new implementation is nothing less than spectacular! Best CA removal tool I have ever used. There does seem to be some tweaking left to do, but this is an amazing start.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to dennishh

Adobe's servers must be getting slammed, it's taking an hour to download this new RC. crazy.

I really hope it fixes the massive slow down problem  - and here's hoping for 5D3 and new Nikon Tethering support in 4.1 - an absolutly essential feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to jameskachan

5D3 import is supported, but until the Nikon and Canon SDKs are updated, I'm don't believe tethering will be updated. Unfortunately I don't have a 5D3 to try it .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to Seán McCormack

5D3 RAW support yes, tethering support not right now... you have to do the dumb watched folder auto import thing right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to jameskachan

And that's where Canon come in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to Seán McCormack

Having the Temp option in the graduated filter selection is BRILLIANT !! and outstanding for landscape shots ....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to BCormier

My LR4 is extremely slow capturing photos and video.  It took approx. 25 minutes to capture 71 RAW + jpg files.  This is totally unacceptable.

System:

I7

16 gb RAM

356 gb SSD

1.5 tb drives for Data

LR 3 was much faster.........what can I do to improve performance?

Thx,

PhilR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to BCormier

Even though this is better than 4.0 or RC-1 it's still bad.

I have a pretty good machine and 3.6 worked great so I know it's possible to have good performance but alas...not in RC-2 yet.

With Clarity set to 0, the filmstrip not showing, and the process at 2010 I have less "max CPU" issues and less "not responding" issues but the problem is far from solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to BCormier

RC2 no diff for me...what P*SSES me off to no end is not being able to process my RAW images with 3.6...My fault for buying a new camera I guess (5D M III)  very very irritated...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to BCormier

LR4 RC2 is very slow!

Guys please, we know its beta, please do not force us buying new computers by putting code on code, fix the code. My camera didnt change, and LR3.6 was working fine with the same files.

There's is definitely a memory leak too.

Using Free Memory app on Mac and I see how it behaves different on my computer. I am on LR since version one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to andreas603

You can if you convert them to DNG with the free DNG converter 6.7 at Adobe Labs.

andreas603 wrote:

RC2 no diff for me...what P*SSES me off to no end is not being able to process my RAW images with 3.6...My fault for buying a new camera I guess (5D M III)  very very irritated...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:28 PM   in reply to nadavee

While I do understand your frustration appreciate that we are all frustrated. Meanwhile it could help if you give us some details on your system, etc such as these:

Mac 10.7.3

MBP 2012

i7 8gb ram

750Gb 7200 internal

12Tb Promise Raid external

Catalogs and cache on internal

Image files - some internal, some external

Files mainly Nikon D7000 converted to DNG.

I haven't seen the slow down at all.

nadavee wrote:

LR4 RC2 is very slow!

Guys please, we know its beta, please do not force us buying new computers by putting code on code, fix the code. My camera didnt change, and LR3.6 was working fine with the same files.

There's is definitely a memory leak too.

Using Free Memory app on Mac and I see how it behaves different on my computer. I am on LR since version one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to nadavee

I have had enough, I am on RC2 and updated filmstrip to 2012 version and it comes up with the message Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo!!! I shall now get CS6 trial when it launches this month and if it works alright I will buy the upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

I am on:

Mac OS X 10.6.8

MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:    2.5 GHz

Number Of Processors:    1

Total Number Of Cores:    2

L2 Cache:    6 MB

Memory:    4 GB

Bus Speed:    800 MHz

My photos and catalog are all on external drive, I wish I could work internal, I know its faster but I cant, not enough space on my laptop drive.

My catalog is 4.3GB and has about 250000 images in it.

My previews are set to High and Quality of1680.

I thought it might be the xmp auto right, so I unchecked it from the catalog settings but did not see any difference, I then re-checked the auto write xmp but now every time I quit LR, I get the msg that it did not finish writing XMP changes.

P.S.

that computer, with the same setup worked just fine on LR 3 (I understand its limitations and realize I can get a faster one these days) but on 4.1 RC2 it is very slow, and takes a lot of memory to operate.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to nadavee

There is no reason that L3 should work like greased lightening and L4 generate a "not responding" message at every mouse click....

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to BCormier

I have a Dell XPS system with the following specs:

3.4 ghz Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge

16GB Ram

SSD HD for OS (180GB)

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

numerous USB2.0 and 3.0 HDD with all my photos

Lightroom 3 was magic. Great program fast and efficient. I got Ligthroom 4 and on the same day got the Canon 5D Mark III. Mark III wasnt supported so I went to LR4.1 RC1. The performance tanked. It is terrible. Sooo painful. Even on old catalogs with low res images. It is almost unusable with stalls ('not responding') of the program. Even just moving pic to pic is painstakingly slow. It seems many others have similar performance issues. I moved to RC2 and things have got better, but not to the point of the program being back to the old speeds I am used too and the stalls still occur now and again. I have upped the Caches to extremely large levels and monitoring my PC resources they never are more than 50-60% used. Any advice appreciated. I may try what terry275 is recommending

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to andreas603

I am definitely in the same boat as you andreas603. 5D MkIII and performance of LR is terrible!!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to BCormier

RC 2 - still slow response/lag.

Q9400

8GB RAM

64bit Windows 7 Professional

Ati Radeon HD 4800

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to BCormier

Count me in with same slow/lag problems.

RC2 still slow response/lag in Develop Module.  It's "usable", but certainly not pleasant to use compared to LR3 was.

i7960

12GB RAM (rarelly goes over 50% when using LR)

64bit Win7 Pro

NVIDIA GTX 570

System Hard Drive: SSD OCZ-VERT 224GB

Photos Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 2TB 7200RPM

Working on Nikon D3 12MP RAW-Lossless Photos.

LAG EXPERIENCED IN LR4RC2:

Very noticable in Develop Module

(even after all photo previews were rendered 1:1)

- when switching from one photo to the other

- when typing on X to eliminate a photo, and switching to another (it takes seconds for the thumbnail to turn grey with the black flag)

- Copy/Paste Effects from one photo to the other (major lag for the Synchronize pannel to show up)

- etc.

I have the Nikon D800 36MP on order. I'm affraid LR4 might become unusable with that kind of resolution...

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to CR Henderson

I am new to LR, so LR 4 is my first version. Before that i worked with PSE.

I am not sure if there is a conclusion by now what causes LR4 to run so slow on many computers. It does sound though that there are a number of users who experience good performance, mee included. As i said, i cannot compare to LR3, but i do not see any significant lag in image refresh when i move sliders.

Like others speculated maybe there is a problem with graphics drivers? I use Win7 64bit 12GB RAM, dual ATI 5400 graphics cards. It appears that most of the users who see "normal" performance have ATI graphic cards.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to peterjgross

I'm using ATI graphics drivers and my performance sucks.

L3 was very good on my machine and L4 has been horrible.

I HOPE Adobe fixes this pronto!

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to rpavich1234

I can't see them fixing it as it appears to be completely random. I've just ordered a new system (not just for Lightroom) and I am not holding my breath, but I am really hoping it works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Malco48

It's not random; there is a pattern and it's widespread.

I'm going back to 3.6 for now...I can't take it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to rpavich1234

This is pathetic.

I uninstalled LR4 and reinstalled LR3 and it's LIGHT GREASED LIGHTNING compared to LR4...no pauses, no waiting....faster than crap. I didn't realized how messed up LR4 was until I just went back and compared.

Until this is cleared up...I'm sticking with LR3.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to BCormier

Hate to go aginst the grain but strangely for me it has speeded up with Lr4.1RC2 and I am using a 3 year old top spec macbookpro!!! (2.66ghz 8gb sdram, 7200rpm hard-drive)

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to BCormier

I'm using LR RC2, and while it's not horrible, I'm finding that after a while using it the sliders get so laggy you can't fine tune accurately, and eventually it grinds to a halt almost completely.  A restart of LR fixes it, so I'm quitting LR every thirty minutes or so to avoid issues.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Memory: 8 GB

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8

I don't remember the beta being this bad, but I haven't used LR 4.0 or RC1 to compare.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 3:50 AM   in reply to Susan S.

Even RC2 is much slower than the ligtning fast LR3.6 ..Nothing is more frustrating than moving a slider and the result happens 3 seconds after you stop.  .. I think I'll be uninstalling Lr4 until I see that it's fixed. I'm sure it will happen.... but I'm not waiting and dealing with this .Toggling from Lightroom to photoshop has a 45 second load time  ...Really ???   .. I bought the upgrade and have a serial number for downloading it in the future.. untill then ..I'll go back to my 3.6 which I used on a daily basis and was VERY content with ..

System :

Windows 7 home premium

Intel Quad Core i7 2600  3.40 GHz

Nvidia 405

12 GB ram

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Madscape

Just a comment...  this is a general forum for LR.  All these comments

are great..   but I would suggest you post them to the bug and feed back

page.  Not sure how much time ADOBE spend monitoring this public forum.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to LR_Mowang

Oh, they should monitor this, the header says: Lightroom 4 is slow

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Armin-H

I'm agreeing with Armin-H.  LR4 is running incredibly SLOW, not like LR3 for speed at all.  Just making brush or cloning adjustments causes a 3-5 second lag for them to take effect.  Not acceptable for Adobe products.  I'm running  Mac Pro QuadCore Xeon w/ 11GB or RAM.  That should be sufficient to tame just about any beast of a program.  The lag occurs even without any other programs running.  Why should that be? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to rbphotog

They need to clean up the code....it's just sloppy coding. There should be no reason that LR4 causes this kind of havoc on such large machines.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to BCormier

LR4 is unacceptable, RC1 or 2 — doesnt matter.
 Clealry this product was rushed to support the new cameras (and thus forcing owners of those cameras to upgrade) because it is not ready for actual use whatsoever.

It's really questionable releasing software that is clearly not working as it should when a simple camera update of RAW support for the new Nikons and Canon for LR3 users would have sufficed. Clearly, Adobe saw the opertunity to get a large number of people to pay for the new version... in spite of it's failures.

I am a working professional so my interest in this is beyond passive, and while I can tell you I would happily upgrade (and have - though, not happily) to gain new features and enhancements, I dont enjoy being forced to do so when that comes at the price of a massive performance failure in professional workflow. Software that works great and is priced fairly (one thing I will commend LR4 for being...) sure thing! sign me up, take my money. no worries. — but only when it works correctly and speedily.

I'm quite disappointed, and negatively affected work wise.

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 43 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points