Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Utterly confused about how to do this...

Apr 27, 2012 4:00 PM

Last ditch effort as I have spent 2 days trying to fathom out how this is done, it's midnight and I haven't once been outside in 2 days, nor have I done any other work. I've worked myself to a complete standstill.

As you will have gathered I have no skills nor knowledge of Photoshop but some guys of this parish thus far have given me some very useful advice but it's information that either I can't comprehend or they're unaware of what the starting point is or I am getting in such a mess that I have lost the plot completely and what I need to achieve before I can move on with the album design is that:

I need to clean up that God-awful off-white window and net curtain.

I think I've brought the orange bridesmaid into the realms of OK skin tones - you should have seen her before!

There's a blue rim-light around everyone that I seemed to struggle with so played with the Decontaminate edge but it make the veil flesh coloured so I abandodned that .

Moved onto a hue / saturation layer and clicked on the blue rim-light and moved the slider all the way left which I assume removed all similar blue colour from the whole image (?) but it worked on that one (another)  image but may have adverse effects here as the b'maid's dress in somewhat purple. Or am I wrong about that too?

There was also some other advice from Trevor but such is my desire not to do this any more that I lost the will to live just about earlier, and came to a stop for 2-3hrs when I drooled into my bib and twiddled my thumbs for nothing better to do.

Thankstest.jpg

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,898 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to pat agonia

Pat, now you have shown us the full image I can see there are other considerations. The people need to be selected with Quick section tool and Refine edge, but the curtains would be better selected using the Pen tool, because there some high key edges on the curtains that are not going to work with Refine edge.  I'll try and make it easy:

• Select the people with the Quick selection tool.  You don't need to be particularly accurate.
    • click on Refine Edge in the Options bar, and drag the Radius slider to the right until you have gone just a bit too far.  Then slid it back a touch.
    • click on Smart radius, then use a small brush on the hair and other complex edges.
    • fine tune with feather and contrast, but onlu use tiny amounts of each, or none at all.
    • click on decontaminate colors, and move the Amount to the right until the purple fringe has gone.
    • You can also try moving the Shift edge a wee bit to the left, but not too far.
    • Click on OK, and use Ctrl/Cmd j to copy to a new layer.

• I said to use the Pen tool, but to keep it simple we'll go with the lasso tool
    • Click from point to point using the Alt/Opt (I don't know if you are PC or Mac)  You could go straight across the the top in one line to keep it simple.
    • Ctrl/Cmd J again to copy this to a new layer.
    • Combine the the two new layers by selecting them and using Ctrl/Cmd e
    • Now use Levels on a copy of the bacground layer.  Move the white slider to the left, and it will all go to full white.
    • You might need to desaturate the background to remove that hint of blue.

Pat if you are really stuck, just flick it across to me.  Send the full res image to the address in my profile.  It will take me five to ten minutes tops.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to pat agonia

I think you would benefit from learning some basics instead of jumping right into the middle of techiniques in which if you don't know basics, then you won't learn anything from everyone giving you a time-consuming and wasteful step by step. If you've spent that much time on something and you've gone so far as to not go outside for 2 days, the only thing you are going to accomplish is making yourself sick. If this is for a project for someone, then maybe you shouldn't have taken it - if you are just trying to do someone a favor, it seems you are only stressing yourself out and ultimately asking others to basically do it for you. I don't think it's really fair to ask so much of people when you claim yourself to not know anything about Photoshop. Go find some video tutorials - you really will learn much more than jumping blind into a project not knowing the first step. I don't mean to be rude, but unless you find those who don't mind wasting their own time, you really should get some basic skills under you before asking a step by step.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to pat agonia

Tim,

Don't feel bad.  This is really not a job for someone new to Photoshop.

Photoshop is a professional-level application that makes no apologies for its very long and steep learning curve.  In essence, you can use it for a lifetime and still be learning something new every day.

By all means take Trevor on his generous offer and let him work on your original file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

@ Trevor:

The OP's name is Tim, although his user ID is pat agonia. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to pat agonia

One of the words I used in my last post was filtered out and replaced by stars.  It was a harmless word that means courage, so I don't know why it was given an x-rating by the forum software

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 3:47 AM   in reply to pat agonia

I have deleted a number of replies in this thread following abuse reports. Personal attacks will not be tolerated, please keep the conversation civil.

@ acesofgreen - the forums have a list of words which are automatically starred out (though we can see what you wrote).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 4:21 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave Merchant wrote:

I have deleted a number of replies in this thread following abuse reports. Personal attacks will not be tolerated, please keep the conversation civil.

@ acesofgreen - the forums have a list of words which are automatically starred out (though we can see what you wrote).

Well, I think you overdid it. You deleted my post which had nothing abusive in it. (Unless the starred out word had a typo in it that I didn't notice and wasn't intentional).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to pat agonia

Hello Pat Agonia, first of all CHILL......take a deep breath....everything will be alright.....not sure what level you are in Photoshop, but you can find almost everything in youtube.  Like some of the comments that have already been stated, the only way to get rid of the colour cast around everyone is to make a quick selection and refine edge....but looking at the image..is the image made up of 2 pics, have the people been placed onto the background ??? just wondering.  I cannot describe what to do in words really it would take too long, but if you search for complex selections in photoshop, you can extract the people from the window, sort the window out, not sure what you wanna do with that and then there a many ways in which to sort out the fringe.  I know that hasn't helped you much but if you find a vid you can watch it over and over.  If you are still struggling then I can make a video for you to show you what I mean.

All the best

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to pat agonia

for crying out loud, google removing blown out highlights.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points