Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sound Dropping Out in Monitors and Timeline (R3D and .wav files in 5.5) - More RAM Needed?

Apr 10, 2012 2:13 PM

Hi there,

I have an HP desktop that I’ve edited two feature films on, the first shot on the HVX200 (edited with CS4) and the second shot on the Canon 5D (edited with CS5). About to edit a new feature, shot at 4K on the Red Scarlet, using CS5.5.

I THINK I know what needs to happen here, but basically, at anything higher than 1/8 resolution, the footage is playing back slow, and then, when I synch up with my .wav sound files, the sound is dropping out after a second (unless I scale to frame in the timeline only, in which case the render bar goes from red to yellow and the sound remains, even if the picture is still choppy). Basically married image and sound will not play back properly unrendered.

So, I guess what I’m asking is: does this sound like a RAM issue? Should I go for 16? I currently have 8. There’s a lot going on on this computer. (Specs are below.)

One final question, albeit a more minor one: why does the frame Fit properly in the Source Monitor but need a Scale to Fit instruction every time to fill the Project Monitor? Is there a way to make an entire Sequence Scale to Fit permanently?

Again, my computer specs are below.

Thanks!

Stephen

HP Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz

918 GB

8.0 GB Physical Memory

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (64-bit)

Service Pack 2

ATI Radeon HD 4850 (recently updated)

512 MB Memory (since updated to CS5.5 specifications)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 12:25 AM   in reply to SDCone

That system is way, way underpowered to edit RED 4K. It is around 30 - 50 times slower than a fast system. Nothing you invest in it will help at all, it is just a waste of money. The only road you can take is a complete new system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to SDCone

I tend to agree with Harm on this one.  Editing a RED project in that CPU is going to be less than pleasant.

You should seriously consider a new system based on the 6 core Intel i7 3930K, or at least the 4 core i7 2600K.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to SDCone

I'd start with 16 myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to SDCone

You need a core I7 or high end I5. Your AMD gpu is not spec for hardware acceleration, You would need GTX card with  1GB or more memory.

Bottom line, upgrading RAM would be a waste because your CPU & GPU are not suited for HD editing, let alone RED 4K in Premiere CS5x

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to SDCone

You'd probably want to upgrade to Windows Professional, and at least double that 8Gb to 16 (go with 32 if you can swing it).

You don't need a 1TB system drive, as you'll only be using it for Windows and Programs.  You can easily get away with 250GB or even smaller, so that may save a little money.  But, you will need to add at least two more hard drives, (Projects/Scratch and media).  Those can be 1TB or more.  (And using tapeless RED media, you'll want some kind of backup for your media.  An external maybe.

If you're working with RED footage, you'll probably want a Blu-ray burner, not just DVD.

The nVidia 530 might work if it has enough memory (1GB min.).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to SDCone

There is still not enough ram in the listed PC, and the 530 is a poor choice. Nvidia list the memory type as DDR3, where you want a card with DDR5. You can get a suitable system for close to the price that is listed. You want to look at Harms hardware guide, and likely shop a custom builder.

You want

CoreI7 or high end I5

Minimum 12 gb memory for HD editing

Minimum 2 physical drives (system & media)

gtx card with at least 1gb ddr5 memory.( I would shop for more memory for 4K footage ) The more CUDA core, the better.

I spent a little more than you or I really wanted to spend on my CS5.5 box $1400 However it works brilliantly.

Core I5 2500k

16gb memory

2x 74GB 10K raptor drives raid0 system drives

2TB media drive

GTX 560Ti 1GB with 384 CUDA cores.

You could shave this system down to under $1k for something that works great.

The GTX555 seems like the base level card to me. A GT or lower spec card  might be a gamble.

Look at gamer machine builders rather than prebuilt desktops. They let you choose parts. That is where to start shopping.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to SDCone

I'm working with the same footage on my 4-year old system as it stands now.

And not having a very good time of it, right?  Isn't that why you're here?

The advice is not meant to make things "work", but to make them work well (or at least bearably).

In any edit system, three drives is what I consider an acceptable minimum.  More is better, but I feel three is the starting point for decent performance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to SDCone

Try seeing what Eric or Scott at ADK can do for you.They are master NLE builders and absolutely great support.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points