Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

vegas pro to ppro?

Apr 28, 2012 2:58 AM

can anyone point me to a good learning / technical resource for a competent editor moving from vegas to ppro?

most of the stuff i've read, watched is hopeless in as much as it's usually long, waffling and not aimed at pro editors making the switch....

tia

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to leslie wand

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to leslie wand

You can try "Classroom in a Book". It's the fastest i way I know of to get up to speed. Worked for me, anyway when I moved from Vegas to PPro.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to leslie wand

Cheat sheet-- I wish everything in life was that easy!

I understand you're eager to set started, but, in this case, patience will truly turn out to be a virtue in the long run. I worked with a older gentleman who taught me, "I'm in a hurry. Don't rush me!"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to leslie wand

how to achieve in ppro what i can do in Vegas

I think the best way to do that is to thoroughly learn how PP works.  For that, I recommend reading the included Help file.  Start at the beginning and go in sequence, don't skip around.  Try each new thing as you learn it.  Look up any words you don't fully understand, don't just skip past them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

The link that Ann provided goes to a page with many recommendations, but the best one for someone in your situation is this one:

An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro

That book is for professional editors who are moving on to Premiere Pro. The folks who wrote it were targeting users of Avid Media Composer and Final Cut Pro, but it's just as useful for a user of Vega, Edius, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Regarding "An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro," I would ad the caveat that errors have been found in the book. The only thing more frustrating learning new software, is trying to learn new software from a book that contains errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

If you give details of those errors, I can pass them on to the right folks for correction in the new edition.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi, Todd. Click on the link (book title) and you'll see the errors.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Thanks, Jay.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to leslie wand

Well, yes some books are written for the techs like Classroom in a Book,get it from a library , just not worth buying. The best way is to have a goal and head for it and use >http://tv.adobe.com/watch/short-and-suite/working-with-hdslr-footage-i n-premiere-pro-cs5/http:// and this Forum and Creative Cow Premiere Pro forum ,

The one thing about Sony Vegas Pro , it is close to CS5.5.2, that the assistance in "How to do it", is very clear, especially in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum11, I have been using Abobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1 to CS5.5.2 for 7 years and the interface and tools are clearly superior, try getting online or telephone help from Adobe, it is so slow, maybe days and weeks or not at all,, try Sony and you have the answer in minutes ie., at least in Australia.

Forgetting the Adobe Support by telephone, the effort to learn Premiere Pro is worthwhile. And you will probably work it all out before they phone you back, without much support, it is that good.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points