Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hot to avoid blurry lines when I skew a rectangle?

Apr 28, 2012 10:50 AM

Tags: #blurry

Hi,

I draw a rectangle.

Then I skew it vertically.

Horizontal lines are blurry, almost pixelated.

I have tried snap to pixel, but I did not see any improvement.

Any solution?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Cesare Rocchi

When you say blurry, do you mean aliased or stairstepped? Smooth diagonals can be tricky on a bitmap grid.

If the object is stroked, softening the Edge (e.g., changing it from 0 to 1) might help. Otherwise, increasing the pixel resolution of your canvas might be a good idea. For example, if you use Modify > Canvas > Image Size to double the resolution/size of your graphic, you'll have twice the numer of pixels to render the diagonal, and those lines will appear smoother as a result. Then, when you're ready to export, you can use File > Image Preview... and scale the graphic back down to its original intended output size.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Cesare Rocchi

Here's a quick study of skew rendering in Fireworks 8. Your results may vary.

rendering skew.gif

Steeper angles produce harsher edges. The closer you get to 45 degrees, the smoother the rendering (as the steps get progressively smaller and more numerous). As you can see in this 400% view (click below to view full-size), an anti-alias fill still has a fairly sawtoothed edge. However, a stroke with a softened edge exhibits much finer gradations in its anti-aliasing.

400% view.png

The anti-alias edge setting for fills tends to be too harsh, in my opinion; it's a shame that there aren't more options to adjust this (as there are for text, for instance).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points