Skip navigation
pmarrais
Currently Being Moderated

Three simples wishes for a better LR workflow

Apr 9, 2012 2:08 PM

I’m organizing my archive, for the first time, (a Nikon new LR user), and because of that, I have (many, many) thousands of photos to work, keywording, and gps  geotagging and because of that I realized that I’m spending lots of time, doing the same actions over and over again. 

So here I leave you some ideas for Lightroom improvements:

1. The lines and grid that appear in crop mode, and also straighten tool are most of the time, less than visible against some backgrounds, and would be better to have them in yellow, or even better, in a customizable color. Also when adjusting line horizon, in a very little detail base (some very little vertical line or other),  it’s difficult to see if it´s ok, especially to the people like me, with some sight problems, and I use a 24” monitor…

2. In the keyword grid, I think the workflow would be much quicker if there were more predefined keyword space grids, I would suggest 3x the actual number of grids, or even better, a user definable number.

3. In the map mode (amazing improvement by the way!), it would be also a nice improvement, in terms of speed, if Lightroom could have a grid like that one used for the keywords,  with a few boxes, for using user defined gps points, because it’s easier to click some we use more often, than searching for them all the time.

Parrais

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to pmarrais

1. We try to keep most of the LR UI monotone so that it doesn't interfere with color judgement. Our eyes naturally blur colors together and so having yellow on top of your image would make it hard to judge. But I think you have a good point about it being adjustable, at least in terms of brightness (brighter for dark images, darker for light images).

2. When you say "Keyword Grid", I assume you are talking about the Keyword Suggestions and Keyword Set. If we trippled the size of these they would take away a great deal of screen real estate or have to be reduced in size to compensate. It might be easier to use the keyword list with hierarchical nesting, so that you are keeping groups of keywords (say 25-30 in each), and you can expand and contract these groups as you need them.

3. You can create Location Presets to apply to your images, rather than having to find them again and again. These appear as a list on the left rather than a grid on the right.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to pmarrais

The point of the My Locations is that it acts like a preset or keyword, it's instantly applied. Once you have created a loction, simply select the images in the filmstrip that you want to apply to that location, and then click the check box that appears next to the location name. It's the fastest thing short of telepathy. From your description, it sounds like you've created a location but aren't actually using it, still trying to drag images onto the map.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to pmarrais

When you first import an image into Lightroom, the thumbnail you see is the one embedded in the RAW file. After some seconds Lightroom will have had a chance to read the RAW file itself and generate its own thumbnail, based on this RAW information and its settings in Lightroom. If the camera is applying settings to your image automatically (brightening, sharpening, or something else), these settings only apply to JPEG files and the RAW thumbnail. The RAW file is compossed of the unaltered information captured by the camera sensor.

In other words, your D50 and D80 are both applying settings to your images as you capture them, while your D7000 is not. If you would like Lightroom to make similar adjustments, you will want to create a preset that matches those settings created by your camera and apply them at import.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to pmarrais

Hi Parrais,

I also have many Nikon images in my LR catalog, stemming from D70S, D90, D300, D300S, D700, D3S (and P6000, although I was never happy with its image quality).

For some of them I choose as default setting the camera calibration "camera standard" i.o. "Adobe standard". For some of them I also change other default settings differently than Adobe.

I save this via while in Develop module via menu Develop - Set Default Settings, then click on Update to current settings.

This gives me a pleasing result, *sufficiently similar* to what I see from the camera screen. I shoot RAW (NEF) only.

Adobe has in fact already created profiles for the most usual cameras, to better match with what the camera manufacturers do render. They are shipped within the LR package.

It works also well for our two travelling-size cameras from Canon (S90, G12).

That should deliver what you mean by "simple calculator program". Of course Adobe can only use what is available to them - neither Nikon nor Canon or some others do fully document their native proprietary raw format.

More recently I do no longer choose my exposure in-camera for a ready-to-use jpg-result, but expose-to-the-right (mostly min. 2/3 exposure bias), in order to capture more image data. I overexpose close before blowing out highlights.

LR4 does a very nice job with its image-adaptive algorithms out of that. Hardly ever do I need to set exposure to -0.66, as one would numerically expect.

So I'd suggest you play around some more time, both with new concepts while capturing an image in camera, as well as thoroughly testing the camera profiles.

Camera landscape e.g. gives a nice vibration-saturation boost. Medium contrast becomes some cameras well as default.

There are so many happy Nikon-Lightroom users out there. It would be a pity not to count you among them some day!

Have fun, Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to pmarrais

To pmarrais,

would it be possible for some users to show screen shots of their keyword presets, this might help other Lightroom users like myself improve their own workflow.

I would be interested in the Location Presets from a later reply to your post.

"3. You can create Location Presets to apply to your images, rather than having to find them again and again. These appear as a list on the left rather than a grid on the right".

Anyone like to offer any further advice.

Regards

Vividi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to vividi

Location presets can be set up to cover an area, such as a city. Or you can choose a specific location.

Here are screen shots for each:

Paris, France:

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 8.16.38 AM.jpg

Eiffel Tower:

Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 8.17.00 AM.jpg

This is determined by the Radius option when creating your Location preset. Once you have created the preset, simply drag it to your pictures, or you pictures to it, and they will be geotagged with that place.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points