Skip navigation
LTsFolly
Currently Being Moderated

Do you participate in contests?

Apr 28, 2012 10:15 AM

This is my submission to FineArtAmerica:

http://fineartamerica.com/contests/national-tv-photo-contest.html?tab= vote&artworkid=3521784

It is heavilly photoshopped photography.
I may get disqualified for it, because most photo editors/jurors, hate Photoshop but I don't care.

I don't tell carpenters or musicians NOT to use the tools of their choice.
I just do what I do and I think it's good : )

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to LTsFolly

Take the difference between theatre and cinema: In the latter you may be seeing the best out of dozens of takes of the same line of dialog or some physically impossible feat but in the former you watch the performers immediately.

The experiences both for the audiences and the performers/creators probably vary considerably, but both present valid approaches to presenting works of dramatic art.

So if some people prefer unretouched (or even analog) photography that is their business.

Of course they run the risk of getting swindled …

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to LTsFolly

"Fine Art Photography" is a tricky term, highly subjective, what's "Fine Art" to one judge may be commercial trash to another.

My own view of "Fine Art Photography" would exclude works that were obviously and heavily manipulated - I would have a serious problem with some of the more garish, "turn it up to 11," examples of HDR! - come to think of it, I'd probably have a problem with COLOR!!!

As I said, HIGHLY subjective.

If the site has a gallery of previous winners, take a look, that would probably give you an idea of what the judges consider acceptable.

Good luck!!!

Paul

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,838 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 28, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to LTsFolly

All Photography competitions, Exhibitions and Salons have rules, and you either comply or you don't. The relevant rule in most contests that I can think of, is that at least 70% of the image should come from your camera, but you are usually allowed any amount of radical editing. Your entry looks like you stared with a screen grab of a highly zoomed image, and then used something like Topaz Adjust to create the noise and high saturation. The thing with extreme abstracts is they still need to be ascetically pleasing, and even follow the normal rules of composition.

I produced the following image for a competition where the theme was Abstract, and rather cynically followed the rule of thirds and general composition. I made it with judges in mind, and was actually taking the mick out of the system. The thing is, it turned out to be one of my most successful images, so you can't win.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4002/4685872441_1bb6dab02d_z.jpg

BTW  It is a composite of three frames that used a combination of camera movement, anf Photoshop to produce the strong perspective in the rows of grape vines.

Nearly all big Photographic Society competitions, Exhibitions and Salons nowadays seem to be looking more for art than straight photography.  The PSNZ use this flickr group to show competition winners for instance.  The same applies to Professional bodies as you can see with last years winner from the NZIPP Iris Awards   There just might be a kick back though, as one of our biggest competitions, the North Shore Salon is focusing more on pure photography this year

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 28, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Funny thing, just browsing through the other entries on my right monitor while your image was on my left monitor, Trevor, and I ran across this....

http://fineartamerica.com/contests/national-tv-photo-contest.html?tab= vote&artworkid=3157045

Yours is better but the similarity struck me.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,838 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 28, 2012 8:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

That's very kind of you Noel. There are few things truly original when it comes to imagery, and all we can really do is try and stamp our own particular style on a picture. The image you linked to is pure camera movement I'm thinking, which reminds me of a local photographer artist who insists that her pictures are created entirely in-camera. Sally Mason is quite a big name in our part of the world, and on the PSNZ Honours Board (She gets a say in who becomes an LPSNZ, APSNZ or FPSNZ). She is also a regular speaker at Photographic Conventions, and is the keynote speaker at a coming convention in Australia.

The thing is, Sally must have an extremely low keeper rate, and her successes are more to do with 'happy accidents' than skill with a camera. She is a lovely person though, and while not exactly a buddy of mine, she is a close acquaintance.

Lots of people throwing their cameras into the air, or zooming while sprinting through corn fields etc. HERE, HERE  and some actually quite nice ones HERE

[EDIT]  I have just remembered that buddy Lynn Clayton won Champion image in the North Shore Salon a couple of years ago with this picture:

http://www.lynnclaytonphotography.com/Best_Photo&_Gold_Medal%20_2009_North_Shore_National_Salon%20.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to LTsFolly

LTsFolly wrote:

I just do what I do and I think it's good : )

That's fine...and regardless of the outcome the one thing you really SHOULD do is read the submission guidlines and understand EXACLTY what your submission means...many contests have really, REALLY bad rights grabs that provide the contest with way too much usage or ownership of the submissions (let a lone the winners).

In the grand scheme of things, you prolly should be less concerned about that OTHERS people think of your work vs. what YOU think of your work. If you are honest with yourself, do you really care what others may think? (clue, you shouldn't)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

BTW, it seems the webiste is designed to direct artists and buyers to a print on demand fulfillment and less about a normal agency/gallery relationship. I tried (just short of joining) to find a Terms and Conditions...the fact you can't find it is a red flag to me.

A quick Google searh found this about FAA (from a Forbes article from 2010):

Take FineArtAmerica.com, an online marketplace and social networking site for painters, photographers and other visual artists. Artists can use to the site to connect with collectors and other buyers and, says founder Sean Broihier, put the business side of their career on "autopilot," leaving them more time to create art. FineArtAmerica.com (FAA) has more than 28,000 artists who upload new images to the site each day; 6,000 of them offer prints for sale.

FAA has been profitable since launch in 2007, thanks in part to its low overhead. Founder Broihier is its solo owner, and the company has no employees. Revenues were $175,000 in 2008 and $1 million in 2009, and the company projects revenues of $2.5 million for 2010. Broihier says that FineArtAmerica.com currently attracts 175,000 unique visitors a day, and traffic is growing by 10%-15% a month.

Broihier is a very good example of someone who has taken destiny in his own hands by embracing the Web rather than joining the 10% unemployment pool in America.

Just so ya know...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to LTsFolly

Not being familiar with photo contests at all, this was my first exposure to one. Some thoughts that occurred to me:

• Loads of exquisitely beautiful photos in the lineup - I wish I had the time to look at them all
    • If I (as a public viewer) am presented with 10 or twenty photos, sure I can vote on the ones I find most appealing.  But when I am presented with page after page of thumbnails with no end in sight, I can't even get through them all, so I wouldn't vote at all, or I'd only end up voting for some images in the first two or three pages.  However I realize that maybe the only voters will be registered members of the sight who will be willing to go through them all.
    • As has been mentioned in this thread before, art is so subjective, that the fact of winning is absolutely irrelevant to the quality of the photo or the artist. So why bother? 
    • The winning photos of this contest will apparently be aired on a national TV commercial.  Does this mean that the winning photos need to have the quality of appealing to a broad public audience rather than having qualities recognizable only by artists?
    • Going back to Trevor's story of a successful photographer whose best successes have to do with lucky accidents:  I guess one could say it takes a talented artist to recognize the worth of these lucky accidents, but it must be bitter for artists who put a lot of creative effort in their work to see "lucky accidents" get all the laurels.
    • Regarding the amount of image editing:  I doubt that some of the entries were ever photos at all to start with.  Others are 99% manipulated. One good example is the twisted hand with eyeballs on each finger

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Broihier is a very good example of someone who has taken destiny in his own hands by embracing the Web rather than joining the 10% unemployment pool in America.

How is it a good example to make money off other people's work?

It's just too hard to make money off your own work I guess.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

... However I realize that maybe the only voters will be registered members of the sight who will be willing to go through them all.

Ouch, I meant of course to write "site"

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to LTsFolly

Another comment:  I see a fair bit of Photoshop CS6 beta effects in the submissions on that site.

Does that say that Photoshop is driving art, or that Photoshop is striving to make it easier to create the art that's popular?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

I tried (just short of joining) to find a Terms and Conditions...the fact you can't find it is a red flag to me.

I did find this, Jeff.  Item 5 seems to cover what's being discussed.

http://fineartamerica.com/contests/national-tv-photo-contest.html?tab= overview&tvtab=tvfineprint

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,838 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 29, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to LTsFolly

LTsFolly wrote:

So, please vote for me or Trevor if you like our entries, and explore the eventuality of participating yourselves.

It takes a community…

Please don't try to bring me into your sad world of pleading for votes.  

Now this thread has been exposed as spam, the mods should lock it off or delete it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points