Skip navigation

'InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working'

Apr 16, 2012 4:19 AM

Latest reply: Peter Spier, May 1, 2012 5:05 AM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to Holly.D.J

I've been playing with the file now for an hour or so. I have good news, and bad news, and for the most part they are the same news.

The file opened here with the links, which is good, but it also means I can't point the finger at a link and say fix this one. That said, there's definitely a problem with the file and it seems to be related to the page previews. I exported the file to .idml and also tried moving the page to a new file, but periodically my new files would go into spasms with the Pages panel flickering and unable to draw the page previews. It seems to be related to scrolling the panel, but I don't know what the actual problem or cause might be. I'm not sure I've ever seen this before.

Since moving the pages showed the same behavior, I decided to port the file back to CS5 and save it there. That file also seems to open fine in CS5.5, and appears to be stable unless I open the other one and get it to go into spasm, then the CS5 version will do the same. So far this has not interefered with closing a file, and restarting ID clears things, at least temporarily.

I packaged the CS5 version, and I'll upload it for you in a few minutes. Hopefully you'll be able to open it on your end.

Crap. I spoke too soon. I just tried selecting an image on page 14 (one of your .ai files that seems to be made of a bunch of linked raster images) and it went berserk. Turns out there are three missing links (not in the folder you sent with those images) in that .ai file, and I have question why these collages were built in Illustrator to begin with. This one, at least, has no vector content and you'd do just as well to place the images in ID directly. I'm going to go ahead and send the CS5 version anyway. It seems stable in CS5, and it might be OK on your end when the links for the .ai files are all available. I actually just got that one to go into flicker mode, too by clicking on the group of 6 black boxes on the pastebaoed on page 12. Deleting them seemed to clear it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to Holly.D.J

Can you try and open these file and let us know what happens:-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16243351/Desktop.zip

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Holly.D.J

Were you trying the CS5 version I saved? Did you empty the recovery folder again first?

If the answers to those questions are yes, I'm pretty much at a loss. At one point yesterday I finally got an out of memory error that I attribute to the preview issue, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was related in some way to one or more of the .ai files.

My own inclination when things go this horribly wrong is to go the slash and burn route -- wipe the hard drive, reinstall everything from scratch (not an image), and recreate the file, simplifying wahtever can be simplified. I'd abandon the .ai files athat are nothing but linked jpegs and place the jpegs directly, for example, and probably make separate files for each of the vector objects inthe vector collages and place thme individually too, especially since a casual check seemed to indicate there were unused objects in those files as well.

I know this is not what you want to hear.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to Holly.D.J

For a standalone licnese there may be a "soft" limit on the number of activations (you may have the program activated on two computers simultaneously for non-concurrent use by the same person) which could be as low as three in a 90 day period (a guess) to prevent users from constangly swapping from machine to machine, but there should be no problem if you deactivate before you reinstall. If you receive an error about activation limits there should be a phone number to call, and you can explain the problems you've been having and your need to reinstall and they will give you an additional activation. Rules are even easier for volume licenses, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to Holly.D.J

Remember, we have no real way to know what the current problem is, so you want to keep the new install as simple as possible  -- just the OS and Adobe apps if possible, at first -- then work up to adding new things one at a time and test after each one, preferably by working for a day or more, before adding the next.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to Holly.D.J

Just adding to what Peter said, while installing

Turn Off UAC,

disable all security softwares and firewall

and if connected to network , disconnected until the instaltion is not complete.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points