Skip navigation
James Edmonton 9 posts
Jan 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Best Settings For Burning/Writing a Playable Bluray?? ("Everybody" Claims To Be An Expert!!!)  HELP!

Apr 29, 2012 8:28 AM

Tags: #settings #encode #bluray #transcode

My friend said it best here the other night at my place. Everybody claims to be an expert. One guy says, Maximum Bitrate for a Playable Bluray

is 22 with a target of 20, another guy says 25, this guy says that, that guy says this??? Inside Adobe the setting can be set to up to 40???  After awhile

you just want to pull your hair out!!!

Someone please help me here... I honestly get tired a seeing this... "WELL IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT YOU NEED IT FOR, BLA, BLA, BLA"  I need

it to play on a Bluray Player and be the best possible quality that it can be. I would like to know the best possible Transcoding Settings for a playable Bluray.

People all over the net and in the forums ask, yet the answers are a) THIN, and B) Different people say different Bitrates??? I mean is there

someone out there who has actually experimented with these things so many times that they are a TRUE EXPERT with this??

So, what is so difficult about an Adobe expert coming to the forum and saying... THESE ARE THE BEST QUALITY SETTINGS??

Anyway, Questions.

#1 Why is it that if you click Maximum PROPERTIES (right hand window) it will change from Automatic to Maximum quality and the preset that you choose, however over on the right hand side

if you check your project settings the Bitrate stays the same 15??? (Even though the project size goes up in Megabytes as well)  Yet, you can still change the bitrate up to a Maximum of 40 if you want???

#2 Project Settings, Transcode Settings...  Someone Please explain???

#3 Edit Quality Presets??

#4 Longform For H.264???

#5 AND THE BIGGIE QUESTION OF ALL TIME??? Why is it that there are INTERLACED options/settings to make a Bluray??? 

(The reason I ask is that everywhere I read about Encore it says its job is to Deinterlace during the Transcode. So why Interlacing options?)

IF NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE ALL OF THE QUESTIONS ON, AT LEAST ANSWER WHAT THE MAXIMUM BUT RATE FOR A BURNED BLURAY SHOULD BE???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to James Edmonton

expert coming to the forum and saying... THESE ARE THE BEST QUALITY SETTINGS??

It's not that hard really.  The highest bitrate that will allow the program to fit on disk is the best quality you can get.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

The highest bitrate that will allow the program to fit on disk is the best quality you can get.

That is the way most people operate (and Hollywood from what I see). But up to almost 2 and 1/2 hours, you can run to the max (38Mbps video stream). Then the question becomes whether the players can handle it.

I'm curious whether Jon has an update on his experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to James Edmonton

James, with the best will in the world it is an almost impossible question to answer.

The Blu-Ray specifications defines the total video bitrate value of Primary Video and Secondary video streams (including subtitles) must be less than or equal to 40Mbps. In practise though, it is best to keep your overall bitrate under 38Mbps because of inconsistencies in players - they are not all created equally.

Audio streams also need to be factored into the equation.

24/48 LPCM stereo is 2.3Mbps, 24/96 stereo LPCM is 4.6Mbps.

DTS-HD MAS and Dolby True HD are variable bitrate encoders so you will not know the bitrate for these kind of streams until you have encoded them, and uncompressed 24/96 5.1 LPCM (the *only* mandatory supported lossless surround codec as both DTS-HD MAS and Dolby True HD are mandatory for their lossy substreams only) is an eye-watering 13.96Mbps. Of course, you can always use 24/48 5.1 LPCM at a more sedate 6.91Mbps. What this means is that you need to do your sums, as encoding the video at 38Mbps with a 5.1 LPCM 24/96 stream is going to tip you over the limit at almost 54Mbps.

Oh - and whilst it is in the specs that secondary video can be in HD, very few players will actually play it.

The best thing you can do is get yourself a spreadsheet and work out a bit budget before you start encoding anything.

Menus also get complicated, as there is only a limited image buffer available.and yet again this can vary wildly between profiles, BD-J over regular etc.

Let me try to explain.....using BD-J menus allows a maximum graphics buffer size of 45.5mb for profile 1.0/1.1 players and 61.5mb for profile 2 players. But you cannot actually create a menu graphic at this size and still expect the disc to work properly, so again it is a trade off and it is recommended to not exceed 32.5mb for your graphics buffer.

I honestly also recommend getting some text books, as BD is best described as "complicated".

Jim Taylor's "Blu-Ray Disc Demystified" is a great starting point, and if you are going to get into BD-J, then you should also have the HD Cookbook

Have fun!.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points