Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 CMS doesn't support multiple monitors system?

Apr 29, 2012 6:04 AM

Tags: #color_management #photoshop_cs6 #monitor_profiles

There are two video cards (GTX560Ti) and two monitors separately connected to them in my system. With hardware calibration (MonacoOPTIX) I have two separate icc profiles for each monitor, being uploaded on Windows startup in their correspondent LUTs through Color managemet applet in Control Panel (Windows 7). That works properly.

In my workflow routine I need Photoshop on monitor 2 (it's profile is acer2204.icm), but PS neither see nor use that profile, it uses the profile of another monitor (monitor 1, Benq.icm) only. Why? It's wrong. How can I make PS to use proper monitor profile? Is it possible? If not, then it is rather strange under Windows 7 improved color management features.

http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20120429/wYkrfTV8.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Рipkin

I have a laptop which I attach to an external NEC minitor everyday and ICC profiles are a real headache. Windows mixing up pofiles and I have to apply them manually everytime. What I noticed is Windows can apply wrong profile from another monitor though in Color Management window everything looks great (right profile for each monitor). Try to apply Benq.icm profile to monitor2, and acer2204.icm to monitor1, maybe it will solve a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Рipkin

By the way, what is your GPU Mode? In Normal and Advanced modes the parts that are on each monitor will be color-managed per the profile of each monitor.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Рipkin

That you have two video cards may be at the root of your problems.  There have long been reports of additional difficulties with Photoshop when multiple video cards are present.

I'm here to assure you that Photoshop CS6 absolutely DOES operate properly on my dual monitor Windows 7 system, on which I have a (single) ATI Radeon HD 5670 card.  Color-management operation on each monitor is completely independent and in Normal and Advanced GPU modes it even properly color-manages images that span both monitors simultaneously. 

The only odd thing I've seen, and it's been this way forever, is that when dragging a document window around it will use the primary monitor's profile.  But when you drop it the proper profile is used.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Рipkin

Рipkin wrote:

GPU is in Advanced mode, but I don't understand how it is correlated with the multiple monitors, CMS, LUTs etc...

In Basic mode only one monitor will be color-managed as I guess.

Рipkin wrote:

In your case, you have one video card (one LUT), therefore you can use only one monitor profile at once.

I work with one monitor at once (NEC at work and internal dispaly home) but I have to set profiles almost everytime manually as Windows 7 very often applies NEC profile to intername manitor and vice versa.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to YahorShumski

YahorShumski wrote:

In Basic mode only one monitor will be color-managed as I guess.

Not true.  Color management is done in the CPU, not the GPU, when in Basic mode, and the image will only be color-managed per ONE profile AT A TIME (i.e., you can't have proper color with an image that spans both monitors simultaneously as you can with Normal and Advanced modes), but the profile will be from whatever monitor the image is currently on.

You can easily test it...  Go find an intentionally "botched up" profile online and associate it with one of your monitors.  Then drag images back and forth to them to see what happens to the color.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Рipkin

Photoshop does color convert for each display independently -- so most likely something about your setup has exposed a bug or tricked Photoshop into thinking that all displays use the main display profile (that's been a problem with some drivers on Windows).

Also, I'm moving this to the CS6 forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to Рipkin

Рipkin wrote:

everything seems be OK in my system.

Isn't your point here exactly that everything ISN'T okay?  Last I looked you're not seeing proper color-management on your second monitor.

Others are telling you that Photoshop CS6 multiple monitor support works for them.  Something's clearly wrong with your system or how you're using it..

I noticed in the image you provided in your first post above that you're fooling with the Proof Setup.  You're not using Proof Colors in normal operation are you?  That's not how it's supposed to work.  Normally color-management works with Proof Colors disabled (off).  The Proof Colors function is for very specific things, not normal editing.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Рipkin

>> No Photoshop's color management for this monitor.

Photoshop color manages each display separately.  It converts to each display's profile.

If Photoshop is only using the primary display profile for color management, then something is wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Рipkin

Yes, the "monitor RGB" setting does use the primary monitor profile (because the UI would get ugly trying to list all display profiles)

That has nothing to do with color correcting for each display.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 29, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Рipkin

Рipkin wrote:

Thus, there is no problem at all? Hmmm....

We all came into this conversation with the impression that you are actually SEEING color problems.

Are you saying the colors look consistent when you show the image on one monitor or the other, but this has all been about what you've been seeing with the Monitor setting in the Proof Colors dialog?

I mentioned a method in post number 7 how you could test it with an obviously miscalibrated profile.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:15 AM   in reply to Рipkin

You seem to be confused about what Monitor RGB means. In your image you put a pointing arrow from Monitor RGB to the Custom color profile option as if you believe that those two options are connected. There is no connection between these two options. Choosing monitor RGB simply displays the images  in your monitor' color space without any color correction, in other words in effect this turns off the color management of  your monitor.

If you go to Custom and choose the monitor profile of one of your monitors, this will give different result.

If the "Preserve RGB numbers" is checked, this will result in the same effect as choosing Monitor RGB but will affect only one of your monitors - the one which is using the same color profile in the system - the other monitor, let's call it the second monitor, will try to simulate how the first monitor will display the color values if not converted.

If the "Preserve RGB numbers"  is not checked, which is how you should use it most of the time, this will simulate on both monitors how the colors will look like if you convert from the currently used color space to the color space of one of your monitors.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points