• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to show the master page used on the body page?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 9

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to show which master page is being used but show it on the body page.

Thank You

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do is to create a new named color, e.g. "zMasterpageName", doesn't matter what color it actually is assigned, except that it should be a color that will not be used in the final document(s). I usually use a light tint of magenta, just enough to be visible but not distracting when one is working on the body content.

Then I put text frames on each master page containing a dedicated paragraph tag (also named MasterpageName) with its paratag set to "zMasterpageName" color, and I type in whatever words I want to be displayed on the body pages. 

For double-sided books I usually put the text frames in the upper left or right corner of the page, so that they are an easy visual placement indicator, and so that when paging through a book at higher than 100% magnification the page tops are displayed without having to scroll.

In addition, I often put ruling lines in the same MasterpageName color down the outer left or right gutter, as appropriate, so that it's easy to see whether the page is a left or right side.

Another variation for the text frame mentioned above is to use dedicated paratags, e.g. MasterpageNameRight, MasterpageNameLeft, and then set each paratag to have autonumber text for the appropriate words. Or instead, insert specially named variables, e.g. "vMasterpageRight" whose definition is set to be the appropriate words.

Finally, for final copy I set the special color to be non-printing, so that it's not output to print or PDF.

btw, the use of "z" or "v" in front of the names is so that these "housekeeping" names sort together,  and display at the bottom, of their respective catalogs.

Sheila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do is to create a new named color, e.g. "zMasterpageName", doesn't matter what color it actually is assigned, except that it should be a color that will not be used in the final document(s). I usually  use a light tint of magenta ...

I use color "Invisible Text", which also gets set to white at final document rendering, then redacted in Acrobat Pro. I find I use it a lot, so there is no need to name it so that it sinks to the bottom of the color list.

I'd suggest not using magenta, as that is the color for "overlapping condition codes".

You can also use any ordinary text on the master page, of any color, tagged with a condition code (such as "Draft") that is switched off at rendering. Using a CC has the advantage that no redaction is necessary in post processing.

________

PS - White on white text only gets deleted by Acrobat if both text and background are 100% RGB or CMYK white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple text frame on the master page can contain the name of the Master Page. You could use lots of things to eliminate the label from the final output (custom colors, color view settings, conditional text) but that is is addition to displaying the name of the master page itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was looking for a solution (for Frame 7.2) to the opening question and came upon this thread.

My documents have a header frame with room for extra text so I did the following:

• Opened the Master Pages.
  • Created a condition named Master Page Name. I used a light blue with overline and made sure the condition tag was in the Show column.
  • Added text that contained the name of that master page to each header frame and applied the Master Page Name condition to the text.

Now I can turn the condition on to verify that master pages are properly applied but of course have to hide the condition to avoid printing them.

Does anyone know if Adobe added master page info to the status bar yet? There appears to be plenty of room for this.

What does the Frame 10 status bar show anyway?

Yours,

Michael F

=======

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Created a condition named Master Page Name.

My earlier conflicting advice to the contrary nothwithstanding, I've since found (so far) that the easiest (fewest clicks) way to do this is with Color Views (CV). No Conditions required. No redaction needed in post.

The MP name is typed in as "Master Page: Name" in a text frame in the margin of each MP.

The text is tagged with a defined color ("Invisible Text"), which we use for a variety of similar purposes, such as draft status, image import info, and empty or meta para types..

We have four main CVs: authoring mode, review mode, print workflow and web workflow.

Invisible Text is one of the colors pre-arranged in CVs to be "Invisible:" except in authoring mode.

It takes 6 clicks to control it book-wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error,

You left out enough steps to prevent me from creating an invisible color.

I used View -> Color -> Definitions to create a color for the master page labels and applied it to some text on a master page. I also selected Print As: Don't Print to see what that would do.

I then used View -> Color -> View to move the new color to an unused View.

When I set that view, the master page label went invisible. That's not useful.

You wrote:

"Invisible Text is one of the colors pre-arranged in CVs to be "Invisible:" except in authoring mode."

Please give us some more to go on because I don't see any color named "invisible" and don't understand if the "invisible" text will print or if you need to set the proper color view to hide it before printing.

Yours,

Michael F

=======

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the step by step for a simple monolithic document. It was done in FM7/Windows, so your dialogs may vary. This only describes "Invisible Text". I also have meta colors for "Web" and "Review".

The result follows my Color Views convention of:

<1> View/web edition (only meta color "Web" on in Color Views)

<2> Print edition (no meta colors on in CV)

<3,4> Reserved for future use

<5> Review edition (meta colors "Review" and "Web" are on)

<6> Authoring mode (all meta colors on, including Invisible Text)

1. Open or create file.
  2. View > Color > Definitions
    Print as: [anything except "Don't Print"]
    set otherwise as desired
    [Add]
  3. View > Master Pages
    Use the Place a Text Frame tool to draw a text frame in margin.
    (*) Background Text
    [Add]
  4. Select the paragraph in that frame.
    Format > Paragraph > Designer
    edit Paragraph Tag: [Authoring.Meta] or whatever name you desire
    Color: [Invisible Text]
    [Apply]
  5. Type in that frame:
    "Master Page: Right"
  6. View > Body Pages
    The meta text should be visible.
  7. View > Color > Views
    Select view <1> (my convention for the Web edition)
    Move "Invisible Text" to Invisible:
    [Set]
    The text vanishes.

The new color is set to Normal: by default. You'll need to make it invisible in all other views where you want that to be the case.
  8. View > Color > Views
    Select view <6> (my convention for the authoring mode)
    The meta text should be visible again.

If you also set up a Character Format named Invisible Text, you can use it to tag Body text that you want invisible for release*.

Now you can switch this on and off just by using Color Views.

It's not too much harder to apply it book-wide, and it can then be controlled book-wide from the book menu. Select all component files, and View > Color > Views. No condition codes involved. No messing with color defs.

________

* Use Condition Codes where you need meta text that causes reflow on redaction.

Color Views is great where there is no reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines