Skip navigation
cboerens
Currently Being Moderated

Stroke outline selection creates inner shadow - why?

Apr 29, 2012 3:06 AM

Hi,

this is a typical beginners questions, so please bare with me if the answer is pretty obivous.

I put a few pictures in idividual layers on a canvas and made a simple frame using stroke selection. Then I made the mistake to rescale the pictures, and obviously the frames got scaled as well. So now they are all of different thickness and I would like to correct that by using again stroke outline selection. The only problems is: I get a whole bunch of effects I don't understand:

The following images showes the situation before I click o.k. and apply the settings to the right hand picture:

Original.png

After clicking o.k. I see that the frame became wider (o.k. so far) but that there is also a brighter line inside the brown border- why? And more over there appears to be a shadow border inside the image, about as thick as the frame - where does this come from?

question.png

Any help would be much appreciated,

regards, Christoph

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to cboerens

That's from resizing the image or layer.

You probably won't notice that at normal magnifications (view%)

You might first resize the image or layer and then add the stroke.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to cboerens

How did you make the selection for the stroke?

Did you use Select>Modify>Border?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to cboerens

You might make your stroke on a new blank layer so it's easier to fix those problems.

For example, Ctrl click on the layer in the layers panel that you want to put a stroke on (this makes a selection of the pixels on the layer)

Then make a new layer and Edit>Stroke.

You can then use the pencil tool or the eraser tool to fix the feather effect (for lack of a better word).

You can resize both the layers at the same time by selecting them both before transform.

The thing you see around the image that looks like a selection with handles is the Bounding Box (you see that when using the move tool)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to cboerens

cboerens,

When i have several layers which are generated in the course of enhacing the picture file, I create a stamp visible layer at the top of the stack of layers. This combines all the layers without flattening, and, retains the layer structure below. To do this, open a blank layer at the top of the stack, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E on the keyboard.

Now, to add a stroke, go to Select>all (or CTRL+A), open a blank layer above the stamp visible layer, go to Edit>stroke and position it inside.

If you want to change the color of the stroke, you can delete the layer with the stroke, and do it over. However, you can also open a color fill adjustment layer above the layer with the stroke, select your color, and clip the adjustment layer to the stroke layer (Layer>create clipping mask).

If you would like to learn how to create a nice frame, rather than a plain stroke, please advise ---something like this:

P4290004 copy.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to cboerens

When you get the undesired effect, post a screenshot of your Layers Palette.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to cboerens

OK, there's nothing unusual about your layers.

I think that what you're seeing are the artifacts created by repeatedly resizing the image (and its stroked outline).  When I reduced the size of an image (without a stroked outline) that's in a larger canvas, I see a semi-transparent edge around the image of about 1 pixel in width (zoomed in to 2,000% to see it clearly).

Here's what I suggest for your workflow:

1. Do all the editing to the images you will be using on the image files themselves.
    2. In your final document, use File...Place to bring each final image in on its own layer as a Smart Object.
    3. Re-size and place the Smart Objects as required.  Using Smart Ojbects means that if you later resize the images, they will have less pixelization because the new size is obtained by using the original image and not the previously resized image.
    4. Create a new blank layer above each image to hold the outline.
    5. Ctrl+click on an image thumbnail in the Layers Palette to get a selection of all the non-transparent pixels.
    6. Activate the appropriate blank layer and use Edit...Stroke to apply the outline.

After the fact, if you decide to change the sizes of the images, delete the layers holding the outlines and proceed from step #3.

Added:

Keeping the outlines on their own layers makes it ridiculously easy to change the colour and style of the outlines by clipping a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to the outline's layer, or applying a layer style to that outline's layer, etc.

Ken

Message was edited by: photodrawken to add comment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to cboerens

Hi Christoph,

cboerens wrote:

I am a bit afraid that I may acidentially resize only the image, not the border layer

That's OK.  The point is to have the the image and its border as separate layers so you never need to resize the border -- if you resize the image, delete the old border layer (or delete the contents of the border layer) and do the border again.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points