• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing Borderless and Multiple Pages per Sheet (PDF)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway to do this? I have a thousand page pdf doc that I need to print out but want to maximize viewing area. Obviously individually cropping pages is out of the question.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

If you are using AA9 or earlier, you can get rid of the borders, but for your number of pages it will be time consuming. Open the 2-up PDF and use the object tool to select a junction of the border and delete. That worked for me. However, you will have to do this 500 times. Apparently a new option has been added to AA X.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not quite sure I understand.

Do you want to print a 4-up for example that has no white border/padding/margin/gutter on the page?   You can print that.  If you want to cut there are copy shops that can cut a stack of several hundred sheets of paper with a laser-precision cutter but they are only as precise as the prints.  Some of the sheets will come out mis-cut because you don't allow the gutter for the margin of error of the printer.  That is why when you print borderless you actually put bleed-space into your design and cut into the design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to print the pdf with 2 pages per side (4 per sheet) and so it reads like a book. However, Adobe doesn't have a borderless option when printing multiple pages per sheet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be right about Adobe Reader.  However in Adobe Acrobat X Pro you can simply choose Print>[select booklet button] and choose your options there.  You will see a preview.  Because of the ratio between 8.5x11 and 2-up 8.5x11 you will have a "letterbox" white border on the top and bottom of your pages but you will be able to print with no gutter and no margin on the edges.  Your printer must allow for borderless printing and you must have enough ink.  You will have to have a high-end printer that can print borderless if it is a laser printer but most ink-jet/photo printers can print borderless.  However the downside is that you will have to replace your inks quite frequently and you will have to print duplex probably manually.  You will want a paper weight sufficiently heavy enough to accomodate printing on both sides because otherwise the opposite page will bleed through making it difficult to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe_forums_multi_up_Page_1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are using AA9 or earlier, you can get rid of the borders, but for your number of pages it will be time consuming. Open the 2-up PDF and use the object tool to select a junction of the border and delete. That worked for me. However, you will have to do this 500 times. Apparently a new option has been added to AA X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kjamesuvic wrote:

I want to print the pdf with 2 pages per side (4 per sheet) and so it reads like a book. However, Adobe doesn't have a borderless option when printing multiple pages per sheet

To do this you would want to select Booklet from the print dialog. But, a 1000 page document would entail 250 sheets folded for a booklet. 250 sheets is highly impractical for a folded booklet; it would be beneficial to trim these final 8.5 x 5.5 pages and Sprial bind such a document.

I'd contact a local small print shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines