Skip navigation
ryan_uwl
Currently Being Moderated

EPUB, .PDF, or .Folio for iPad Book?

Apr 24, 2012 2:44 PM

I am attempting to convert a bilingual childrens book into an iPad Viewable app but I find much of this confusing.

There is English and Hmong text on each page... Is there a way I could create the digital book so the user could select which language would be read to them as they turn the pages? Or would I only be able to have it read in one or the other? I could have buttons on each page that play each language though right? With what types of publications would I be able to accomplish which task? Any other options?

Also, must I create a .folio in order to have the document viewable horizontally and vertically as the user turns the ipad, (as In I create two versions of each page) Or can I do that with other exported file types?

Finally, If you have a link to the most helpful resource on any of this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You for your time,

Ryan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to ryan_uwl

hi ryan,

im new at this too and ive learned that for the horizontal and vertical views you have to have two files in your folio, one that is ends in _h and one thats in _v . all of your folios have to have a vertical and  horizontal option or else it wont work, you cant mix dual orientation with single.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to digitalsophie

You should ask questions relative to creating folio files to the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/dps

There are severe limitations to using PDF files on iPads because the PDF readers are very immature. Most of the applications don't support interactivity. Here are two postings I did on PDF readers:

For Interactive PDF, Not All Readers Are Equal

A Much Improved Adobe Reader for Tablets Appears

EPUB files currently only support Latin languages. When I did an EPUB file that used Sanskrit, I had to rasterize the language (it was only short sections). InDesign CS5.5 or CS6 would let you choose the image resolution up to 300 ppi. Of course, you could then not interact with the text because it would be a picture.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points