Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Not having fun with trying to use .mts files

Apr 29, 2012 8:42 AM

I'm just about at wits end here.  I had a previous discussion where Steve Grisetti pointed me towards his videos.  I watched them but still don't feel I'm any further along.

Here are the details

Computer - MacBook Pro with 2.8 Intel Core Duo processor running 10.6.8

Premiere Elements 10

Panasonic HDC TM900

I have two videos I am trying to edit.  Both are about two hours in length.

The videos were recorded with these settings

HA1920

13.3m (4684x2736 16:9 aspect ratio according to the manual)

"not" in 60P.  Per phone conversation with Panasonic, if the camera was "not" set to 60P the by default at HA1920 it was recording in "i"

I believe the audio was in 5.1 but have not confirmed that.

Adobe Premiere setting

on setting up a new project

NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD1080i 30 5.1 channel (have tried other 1920 settings to no avail)

Using "Get Media" to bring the .mts files into the project. (I have tried both importing from the camera and importing from the HD where the entire file structure was copied from the camera.  No change in results)

I'm selecting "Highest" for playback quality and 100% for the magnification.

Here is a link to a screen grab.  What I'm seeing watching the preview is just not good and is similar to the screen grab.  Video playback however on a television from the camcorder is crystal clear. 

Do I have a bad workflow, is there some "setting" that I'm missing or is there another method I need to try to get the video from the camera to the program?  I'm not trying to do anything fancy at all with the video.  I'm going to segment it, add a simple opening and closing transition and a title to each scene. 

The final output or endstate is to put a viewable file onto DVD for distribution.  I want to maintain as much quality as possible from the original file.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to HMH462

1- When you 1st import the video, before doing any work, do you have a red line over the timeline?

If yes, your project does not match your video

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-gree n-render-bars.html

2- In general, a computer screen is NOT going to look the same as a TV

What happens if you go ahead and complete your project and write to a DVD... and then view that DVD on a TV from a set top player?

Of course, you do need to realize that a DVD is SD video, not HD, so your final product is not going to be the same as the source

>believe the audio was in 5.1 but have not confirmed that

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/ to find file details

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to HMH462

OK... no red line means your project is good

So, what happens on the final DVD?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to HMH462

What happens if you Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset?

(Part of the challenge when you move a topic to a new thread halfway through a discussion is that we no longer have the history of what we've already suggested and what you've already tried to refer to. So we may have to go over many of the questions you've already answered all over again.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to HMH462

Sean, can you output an AVI from your video using Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset?

If so, we can show you how to use that as a bridge for producing a DVD of your video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to HMH462

Maybe I misunderstand completely.

I thought you wanted to output your video as a DVD but were not able to. If that's not the case, what is it you are trying to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to HMH462

The quality output availble from Premiere Elements is as good as DVDs and Vimeo will allow.

However, remember that DVDs have less than one-fourth the resolution of hi-def MTS files and online sites necessarily have reduced quality and bitrate levels as well as lower resolutions in order to allow the files to stream over the internet.

So it's impossible to have either a DVD, Vimeo or YouTube video look anyway nearly as good as your source footage no matter which programs you use or what program you use to create it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points