Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6: Standalone > Suite upgrade path no longer available

Apr 29, 2012 10:57 PM

Not sure if this is common knowledge. It was news to me recently.

There's been a (low key) shift in purchasing policy from earlier CS versions.

The standalone product > Suite upgrade path has been removed in CS6.

From the CS6 FAQ

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop/faq.html

What is Adobe's upgrade policy for Creative Suite 6?

Adobe allows upgrades to CS6 individual products and suite editions from one version back (which in this case is CS5 and CS5.5, due to the interim CS5.5 release). For example, if you have a validly licensed copy of Photoshop CS5, you can upgrade to Photoshop CS6 at the upgrade price. Owners of individual products are not eligible to upgrade to suite editions.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#purchasing-policy

What is Adobe's upgrade policy for Creative Suite 6?

Owners of a CS5 or CS5.5 suite edition qualify for upgrade pricing to a CS6 suite edition. Owners of an individual CS5 or CS5.5 product qualify for upgrade pricing to the same product but not to a suite edition. Any version earlier than CS5 will not be eligible for upgrade pricing.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to John Waller

I noticed one of those links is from "au" and the other appears to be their default "us" site.  Maybe it varies by country now.  Have to contact Adobe support on that one.  They have had a bunch of careless typos, including one I remember on DW that has since been removed.  I think they are going to try to push hard to get people to the Cloud and once you start adding more in, it could be more value.  But it's not for everyone and as I stated in a post to Nancy, I don't want to pay for production of products I don't want or need.  All I need/want is the Design Premium Suite.  I don't need the movie editing, sure as heck don't want Muse, but would like Edge and it's not worth it.  I can pay $375 to upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 Design Premium, or pay $600/yr for all that other stuff I don't need and based on their upgrade path even if I pay that every 12 months for point releases I'm still better off.  Even Lifehacker did a report to this extent.

I'm hoping by CS6.5 or CS7 they realize this and come up with a permanent $30/month plan for a design premium cloud and throw Edge and Lightroom in, they can throw Muse in the trash for all I care about that app right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to John Waller

After reading some posts by John Nack and some other higher ups at Adobe, I don't believe the Cloud is a bad thing, just this initial launch has been a marketing debacle.  I'm holding out hoping they see the value in smaller suite options rather than an all inclusive Cloud, but they are really trying to just get the tools into everyone's hands so they don't go buy a Final Cut or other competiting product.  That seems to be the overall strategy I'm sensing from marketing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to John Waller

There are no announced plans to drop perpetual licenses, as there are many customers for whom they are the only option (public-sector and enterprise customers for example have major issues with software that has to 'phone home').

Yes there are lots of changes in the purchase and upgrade model for CS6, but it's not a total change of direction. CS5.5 upgrade pricing is/was only available for people with a previous CS license, not a point product. Introductory pricing for CS6 covers a lot more people than it did when it was first announced, and the offers available for CC are a lot more generous.

The argument about PL vs CC will go on forever, and folks like me won't change that. Personally I was wary of the CC model when we first discussed it, but I can see benefit for people who aren't sure which combination of products they might need. It's like cellphones - do you buy an unlocked handset to avoid the scary idea of "rental" or get one on contract so you can upgrade when a new model comes out?

John Waller wrote:

I honestly believe perpetual licenses will be slowly phased out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points